Theories for Raising My Children

"Before I got married I had six theories about bringing up children; now I have six children and no theories." -- John Wilmot (1647-1680).

crying child in supermarket

Blythe Newsome: We have all been around children before we had children of our own. As you watch those children throw fits and the parents give in, you find yourself thinking that your children will never behave like that and that you will never be that kind of parent. You judge the parents for handing out sugary treats to quiet their children, being permissive enough to give in to a child's every whim. Then you have children and all of those theories go out the window.

My theories dictated that I was not going to be the parent who gave in to a crying child. I would not have children who would be out in public places and be disruptive and loud. I couldn't imagine sitting in the backseat to quiet my child -- I would be up front with their dad. In my dreams, my children were always clean and my house a beautiful and orderly place. When we decide to become parents, those are the things we tell ourselves, that our children will be different.

And then I had children -- six of them, to be exact -- and I quickly learned that even a loving, yet firm parent can be caught in a moment where you just do whatever you can to get through the moment.

Trust me, I have those moments. Sometimes when we are doing a big shopping trip at the grocery store, I am the mom that opens a bag of Goldfish to quiet my crying toddler. There were many car trips I spent in the backseat distracting the little ones while their Dad drove. My children sometimes have dirt on their faces, and my house is in no way the organized Architectural Digest home I imagined. I have flowers in my kitchen, but they are wilted and not what I would have imagined 20 years ago as a centerpiece.

But to me they are beautiful; they are a gift from my son and daughter's backyard adventure. The best part of that muddy adventure was that while they came back dirty, they thought of me and brought me back a flower -- in one of my favorite expensive crystal vases that they filled with dirt. I cannot imagine it holding anything more precious and beautiful.

Maybe at times my children are crying and whining and demanding my attention. I am sure there have been plenty of times when people have seen us out and looked at my children and thought, "If I were their parent ..."

A part of me is that parent I was so sure I would never be. My theories on raising children are very different now. They revolve around never letting a day go by when I haven't told my children how much I love them, holding them tight while they are so little and being there for them as they venture out into the world. I hope that while they are young, I will show them unconditional love and the beauty that life holds for them. My theories will continue to change as the years go by, but instead of deciding now what kind of parent I will be to these ever-changing children, I am going to focus on the parent I am today with the children that bless my life.

next: 22 Things We'll Teach Our Sons about Women
Jenny January 12, 2010, 5:24 AM

I could not have said it better myself.

Ash January 12, 2010, 6:15 AM

I agree - when my friend had a child before me I never understood why she didnt call me like she used to. Then when I had a child i got it….you cant fully understand until you have one.

b January 12, 2010, 6:59 AM

I always had ideas about the kind of mother I wanted to be, too. And then Postpardum depression came. And all my ideas not only went out the window, so did most of what I knew about myself. So now, while I have two small children, I’m on a doing everything I can to survive mode. Not only are our childrens’ personalities complete wild cards, so also is our mental status.

Anonymous January 12, 2010, 8:14 AM

I have disagree with the author. I too had theories before children and behavoir expectations - not keeping melting down children in public, no kids in my bed, never sitting in the back seat with them, etc. and I’ve been able to keep them. I can’t undersand why parents have set priorities for how they want to raise their children and then don’t act on them once the children are here. This is why I NEVER say “oh you’ll understand when you have kids” because I’ve kept the same goals and ideas of parenting pre and post children

Jenny January 12, 2010, 10:12 AM

Anonymous,

Many parents keep some theories from before they were parents but I think the point she is trying to make is she is no longer as judgmental as she used to be because she now has a different viewpoint. I am sure that there are many things that she said before that still hold true but for most women views and theories change as our life situations and maturity changes. If you have been able to keep all of your theories from before you had kids about how to raise them then perhaps you should think about writing a book, I’m sure many women would be interested to know how you have managed that.

Jenny

Jamie January 13, 2010, 7:18 AM

I agree w/Anonymous - it’s super simple to maintain your theories from pre-parenthood - just set standards and expectations and abide by them. I think that’s a major issue with many (not all) parents now - no one wants to enforce rules. We’ve given our children as much authority as adults. If you say I’m not going to be the parent who has kids in my bed then you simply don’t let them sleep in the bed. If you say you’re going to be the parent who will not have their child melting down in a store then you take them out when they melt down. It’s not hard. Perhaps since I had so much experience (pre-school teacher, MANY nieces/nephews who I took care of since infancy) with children before having them that I knew I would put my theories into practice that it was easy for me and had no change to my pre-baby theories - who knows.

mercaties January 18, 2010, 12:31 AM

Wow! I think a good mother adjusts accordingly to the current situation. I’am much happier being flexible with my kids then being confined to my pre-parent ways of thinking. It amazes me that there always has to be that mom or mom’s that think they are better than the rest of us.

Ashlea Beedoo January 3, 2011, 9:23 PM

Hey, i think you visited my website so here i am!.I am looking for ways to add things to my blog!Is it ok if i use some of the things i saw here?!

Betfair Exchange January 5, 2011, 1:38 AM

It is rare for me to find something on the web that is as entertaining and fascinating as what you have got here. Your page is sweet, your graphics are great, and what’s more, you use source that are relevant to what you are talking about. You are certainly one in a million, good job! Wish you Happy New Year!

Euro2012 Betting Promotion January 5, 2011, 6:11 AM

Happy New Year! I would like to thanks for the efforts you have contributed in writing this blogpost. I am hoping the same high-grade article from you in the upcoming as well. In fact your creative writing abilities has inspired me to get my own blog now. Truly the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a good model of it.

Bet365 Promotion January 5, 2011, 8:23 AM

Happy New Year! A fantastic article, I just passed this onto a friend who was doing a little research on this. And he in fact purchased me breakfast because I found it for him. smile. So let me reword that: Thanks for the treat! But yeah Thnx for spending the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you become expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more info? It is extremely helpful for me. Two thumb up for this share!

p90x pullup bar January 7, 2011, 1:00 AM

p90x workout equipment you will need for any of your p90x workouts, 10 minute trainer, chalean extreme or any other type of home workout.

e cigarette cartridges January 8, 2011, 12:13 AM

Have always believed am addicted to the actual act of smoking wich I enjoy, more then the nicotene, believe the elctronic cigerette has proved this for me as I sometimes now vape flavor alone and plan to cut the nic out completley slowly. A nevrvous habit can be as hard to break as a drug addiction and I believe ecigs are the only true solution for those who love the act of smoking or for whom it has become an addicative action that calms them. - thank you

dog food coupons January 9, 2011, 6:59 AM

Hi, marvy info, thanks

e cigarette coupons January 11, 2011, 7:48 AM

Electronic Cigarettes is the new gadget in the market for the smokers who want and who don’t want to leave smoking. Just try it.

That is some inspirational stuff. Never knew that opinions could be this varied. Cheers for all the enthusiasm to offer such helpful information here.

Bet365 Casino Joining Offer January 13, 2011, 10:44 AM

Now it is good time to think a few plans for the longer term and it’s time to be happy. I have learn this put up and if I may just I want to suggest you some fascinating issues or advice. Perhaps you can write subsequent post referring to this article. I hope to learn more issues of it!

Bet365 Games Coupon January 13, 2011, 10:48 AM

It’s unusual for me to discover something on the net that is as entertaining and intriguing as what you’ve got here. Your page is lovely, your graphics are great, and what’s more, you use source that are relevant to what you’re saying. You are certainly one in a million, great job!

William Hill Casino Coupon Code January 13, 2011, 10:49 AM

Hello there, simply turned into alert to your website thru Google, and found that it is truly educational. I’m going to watch out for brussels. I’ll be grateful should you continue this in future. Many other folks can be benefited out of your writing. Cheers!

Bet365 Poker Sign Up Bonus January 13, 2011, 10:51 AM

It’s rare for me to discover something on the web that’s as entertaining and fascinating as what you’ve got here. Your page is lovely, your graphics are great, and what’s more, you use source that are relevant to what you are talking about. You are definitely one in a million, good job!