twitter facebook stumble upon rss

Toddler Severely Burned by Putting USB Cord in Mouth

sign up for the momlogic newsletter Tweet This

Denver Post: The family of a Longmont toddler who was seriously injured when she apparently put a USB cord dangling from a computer into her mouth, is encouraging other families to check their own homes for similar hazards.

trinity anderson

"We just don't know what's attractive to children," said the child's grandfather, Jeff Anderson. "Take inventory of electrical cords in your house and unplug them when they aren't in use."

Sixteen-month-old Trinity Anderson was unconscious when she was rushed to Longmont United Hospital on Monday evening, after being shocked by the cord.

The USB cord for a music player was plugged into a laptop that was being charged on the floor next to the chair where her mother, Rhianna Anderson, was sitting. The music player was a Christmas gift. The laptop is less than a year old.

"Trinity crawled behind the chair her mom was in, and when her mom didn't see Trinity pop back out the other side, she looked behind the chair and saw Trinity face down," Jeff Anderson said.

Trinity suffered third-degree burns on the right side of her tongue, her upper soft and hard palate and the right part of her lip.

Because the family lives only a block from Longmont United Hospital, Rhianna Anderson made it to the emergency room with Trinity in less than a minute, Jeff Anderson said.

Rhianna Anderson is studying to be a nurse and is a certified emergency medical technician.

"What saved the child's life was quick action," Jeff Anderson said.

A medical helicopter was called to the Longmont hospital, and Trinity was flown to Children's Hospital in Denver that night.

Trinity is on a ventilator and paralytic medication and is sedated to keep her from disturbing the tube that has been breathing for her since Monday night.

Doctors hope to take out the breathing tube today, Jeff Anderson said.

"The burn team here feels her injuries will heal with some cosmetic damage, but we have no idea about her mental function," he said. "She was probably unconscious for three minutes."

The team caring for Trinity at Children's Hospital had never before seen such a case involving a USB cord, he said.

Jeff Anderson said the family is still trying to understand what happened to Trinity: "We contacted an electrical engineer who is going to put us in touch with somebody to help us figure it out."

Read more stories moms are talking about.



next: Italian Mother Gives Birth to Sextuplets 13 Weeks Premature
5 comments so far | Post a comment now
ashley January 12, 2010, 4:24 AM

very sad and very scary. what a wake up call. I hope and pray this little girl will be ok.

cheapviagra9019 August 30, 2010, 8:16 AM
Pharmk975 October 1, 2010, 3:33 AM

Hello! eeedddb interesting eeedddb site!

Pharmk702 October 6, 2010, 3:40 PM

Hello! gbfeeed interesting gbfeeed site!

Pharmk527 November 3, 2010, 2:15 AM

Hello! bekddff interesting bekddff site!


Back to top >>
advertisement