School Bus Driver Drunk Behind the Wheel

The shocking video has to be seen to be believed.

Fifty-six-year-old school bus driver Martha Thompson, who was charged with having a .15 blood alcohol level while driving her bus, was just sentenced to 90 days in jail and six months under house arrest.

That sentence seems awfully light after you see this video of what this bus driver put 37 kids through:

Do you think the punishment fits the crime?

next: Medicine by the Spoonful Not a Good Idea
Brooke January 6, 2010, 12:56 PM

Those older girls are heroes for getting the bus driver to finally stop and for taking care of the little kids.

Charles January 6, 2010, 2:04 PM

Child endangerment. They should lose their job.

Wendi January 6, 2010, 2:09 PM

I agree kudos big time to the young ladies, they did an awsome job. Way to be on the ball girls. As for the punishment, well it does not fit. What about child endangerment?? Or how about getting fired and not allowed to drive a bus or anything like that again. That would be better. This is the EXACT reason why I drive my kids back and forth to school. It is so sad that you can’t even trust a school bus driver anymore. It use to be that they really looked out for the kids, but this is happening more and more. Maybe some better screaning for the bus drivers? If I were one of these parents, well lets just say that I would be paying a visit to that driver. How dare they do that so all those kids.

SB January 6, 2010, 3:01 PM

This happened to me! The only year I rode the bus was in 5th grade (in the 80’s). Our driver (who we later discovered was intoxicated) picked us up and curb checked several times before rear-ending a jeep. Fortunately no one was injured. This was before cell phones so we were along for the ride.

Pamala January 6, 2010, 3:02 PM

That woman should be beaten or something. I mean seriously what the hell was she thinking?

Good job to the older girls. Their screaming freaked the younger ones out, but frankly the driver wasn’t obviously understanding or caring about what she was doing.

It was heartbreaking to see the little boy cry. Stupid bus driver. She should spend 1 year in jail for every child she put in danger on that bus.

If I was a parent of one of those children, yeah I’d be paying a visit to that driver.

tennmom January 6, 2010, 3:13 PM

I also agree that the older girls should be appreciated for realizing there was a problem.
That bus driver should never be allowed to drive a bus again. Some parent could have lost their child.

Monica January 6, 2010, 4:37 PM

I feel so sad for the little ones. They were so scared and started crying. Especially the little boy. She better have lost her job. Totally unacceptable.

Gail Cooke January 6, 2010, 6:45 PM

Uh wow. That person has hopefully lost her job. Wow. Good job to the older girls!

veronica January 7, 2010, 8:11 AM

The older girls are brilliant in the way they handle this- a difficult situation where they had to overstep ‘authority’ and calm the little ones dow. Brilliant, well done!

Lindy January 7, 2010, 9:42 AM

The older girls were fantastic! They took charge and did what they had to do. They should get some kind of award for that.

threeundertwo January 7, 2010, 11:45 AM

A friend of mine went through AA. She told me the #1 profession of recovering alcoholics is bus driver. Don’t know if that’s just her observation or a statistic.

Those young women were great at taking care of the situation. Their parents should be so proud. The driver should get several *years* of jail time, in my opinion.

Sam January 8, 2010, 9:43 AM

She would have been let off with just a driving ban in the UK as the Law is too soft…

Rita January 8, 2010, 11:37 PM

Wow those girls need to be recognized for the way they handled the situation and for trying to calm the little kids down.

The little kids just broke my heart.

Yeah she needs more of a punishment then what she got.