Daily News: San Pedro, Calif. -- The death of a San Pedro boy who choked on a hot dog during a game at a Boys and Girls Club fundraiser for Haiti earthquake victims was an accident, a coroner's investigator said.
Noah Thomas Akers, 13, of San Pedro, died Monday at Miller Children's Hospital in Long Beach, four days after the choking incident at the club at 1200 S. Cabrillo Ave. in San Pedro, according to the Los Angeles County Department of Coroner.
The cause of Noah's death was "choking on food" and it was listed as an accident, a coroner's investigator said in a telephone interview.
Noah was among about 120 middle school and elementary school age children taking part in the fundraiser Thursday afternoon, club executive director Mike Lansing told the Daily Breeze. Activities included a dance contest, tug-of-war, and musical chairs.
Noah joined a dozen other children in a hot dog eating game, which club officials noted was not a contest to see who could eat the most hot dogs, the Daily Breeze reported.
Each participant was handed a cooked hot dog with whipped cream on it in a bun, and each child who could finish the unusual combination was to receive candy as a prize.
Children were advised to take their time and were told it was not a speed event, Lansing told the Daily Breeze.
People tried to help Noah when he choked on the hot dog, and one staff member tried abdominal thrusts to dislodge the food. Paramedics arrived and used extended forceps to remove the blockage.
Noah survived but had gone too long without oxygen. He was removed from life support Monday, a family member told the Daily Breeze.
Read more stories moms are talking about.