6 Kid's Book Authors Who Didn't Pop Out Kids

Many of the most beloved children's book authors didn't bother to have kids of their own.

Purists who think that country songs shouldn't be sung by people who grew up in the 'burbs, or that French food isn't authentic if it's cooked by some Jersey boy named Vinny, might be saddened to discover that many beloved children's books were written by childless authors. Shockingly, some kiddy scribes aren't even that fond of kids!

6 Kid's Book Authors Who Didn't Pop Out Kids

1) Lewis Carroll

Although he loved children (some say his admiration bordered on the inappropriate as Mr. Carroll had a penchant for photographing naked little girls) Lewis Carroll, the author of "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" and "Through the Looking Glass" never had children of his own and remained a bachelor his entire life. It's been speculated that his only true love was Alice Liddell, the girl who inspired the Alice series.

2) Beatrix Potter

Raised by a governess who kept her isolated from other children and refused to let her play with dolls, the author of "The Tale of Peter Rabbit" and 23 other children's books had a difficult childhood. Later in life, she had difficultly interacting with children, preferring the company of her many pets, which included, not surprisingly, a few rabbits.

3) Louisa May Alcott

Alcott, the author of "Little Women," had no little women or little men of her own. During her lifetime, she was an abolitionist, a feminist and quite possibly a lesbian. During an interview, she was once asked why she remained a "spinster. "Because I have fallen in love with so many pretty girls and never once the least bit with any man," the childless author said.

4) Theodor Geisel (Dr. Seuss)

Twice married, the quintessential children's author of "The Cat in the Hat" had no children of his own. Despite his whimsical pen name, Geisel was known to be a publicity-shy curmudgeon whose books were often allegories for not so child-friendly topics as genetic cleansing (The Sneetches) and the arms race (The Butter Battle Book).

5) Margaret Wise Brown

The author of "Goodnight Moon" must've known something about the way kids operate, because the sleep-inducing book is like taking a dose of Ambien. Brown, however, was not only childless; she also claimed to dislike children. A fellow illustrator once commented, "she only liked children in theory."

6) Maurice Sendak:

The freaky nightmarish fantasy "Where the Wild Things Are" was conceived by a man who has no children of his own. Although he entertained the idea, he is quoted as saying "to fail as a parent is to fail on the highest level."

next: An Olympic-Size Marriage
mollysmom February 27, 2010, 2:01 PM

that was surprising. we have most of those authors on my daughters bookshelves and i had no idea.

Sales Jobs March 1, 2011, 10:17 AM

Grand poteau ! Merci pour prendre le temps d’écrire quelque chose qui est réellement en valeur la lecture. Trop souvent je trouve l’information inutile et pas quelque chose qui sont réellement appropriées. Merci pour votre dur labeur.

charlotte internet marketing March 1, 2011, 12:24 PM

I like the first point you made there, but I am not sure I could reasonably apply that in a postive way.

youth ministry March 2, 2011, 7:49 AM

I’m getting a browser error, is anyone else?

Carluz March 2, 2011, 8:57 PM

i enjoyed reading the posts which i found interesting on the majority of the posts.

Baseball Tickets For Sale March 3, 2011, 6:25 PM

Can you message me with any tips about how you made this website look this cool, I would be appreciative.

Anitra Colone March 3, 2011, 7:33 PM

Just discovered this site thru Google, what a pleasant shock!

marathon training schedule March 4, 2011, 7:13 PM

This website is really good. How did you make it .

back tax debt March 10, 2011, 2:45 PM

What an awesome idea! Dave and I have written our short term and long term goals for years. Like you, Ive lost them and found them, witnessing Gods work throughout the weeks or months in between. Ive never thought of making a Drean Board. Not only are Dave and I going to do that.were going to have our girls, Faith & Hope, participate as well! Thank you for sharing this idea. What a blessing!

Johnny Awe March 11, 2011, 2:19 PM

hey there, this might be little offtopic, but i am hosting my site on hostgator and they will suspend my hosting in 4days, so i would like to ask you which hosting do you use or recommend?

lawn care March 12, 2011, 4:30 PM

I’m getting a javascript error, is anyone else?

website design Wilmington March 16, 2011, 6:57 PM

An interesting post right there mate . Thank you for the post .

mariage March 17, 2011, 11:15 PM

I savour, lead to I discovered just what I was having a look for. You’ve ended my 4 day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye

carluz  March 18, 2011, 4:12 PM

I’m getting a javascript error, is anyone else?

colorado communities March 22, 2011, 9:05 PM

you’re in reality a just right webmaster. The web site loading velocity is incredible. It seems that you are doing any unique trick. Moreover, The contents are masterwork. you have performed a wonderful job in this matter!

escort March 25, 2011, 4:13 PM

What’s Happening i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I’ve discovered It positively helpful and it has aided me out loads. I’m hoping to give a contribution & aid other users like its helped me. Great job.

acid reflux treatment March 26, 2011, 10:58 PM

Thanks!

kilmarnock estate agents March 29, 2011, 12:01 AM

You can certainly see your enthusiasm in the paintings you write. The world hopes for more passionate writers like you who are not afraid to mention how they believe. Always go after your heart.

Contractor Tax March 30, 2011, 11:44 PM

wonderful issues altogether, you just won a logo reader. What may you recommend about your publish that you simply made some days in the past? Any certain?

100% complete dog food March 31, 2011, 7:29 PM

Good read … headline catchy … good points, some of which I have learned along the way as well (humility, grace, layoff the controversial stuff). Will share with my colleagues at work as we begin blogging from a corporate perspective. Thanks!