Baby Born Without Eyes

Her ultrasound looked perfect. But Baby Brielle Garrison was born without eyes. How common is this?

Dr. Alanna Levine: It's natural for a mother to worry about the health of her baby during her pregnancy. However, once she is told her ultrasound and genetic testing are normal, most expectant mothers breathe a sigh of relief. However, not all medical problems can be picked up during routine screening, as was the case for Brielle Garrison. Baby Brielle was born without eyes, a condition called anophthalmia. About 30 in every 10,000 children are born with this rare condition.

brielle garrison

Anophthalmia is rare, and the cause is unknown -- genetics and environmental exposures may play a role. There is no treatment to restore vision, but multiple cosmetic procedures are necessary to make space in the eye sockets for prosthetic eyes. On average, a child will need new prostheses every few weeks until age two, and then three or four between the ages of 2 and 10.

As a pediatrician, I attend many deliveries each week and frequently I am asked, "Ten fingers and ten toes?" Delivering good news is always easy and joyous, but few things are harder than having to tell new parents that there is an abnormal finding, even if it's as minor as a birthmark.

Many people ask about broadening the screening process during pregnancy. Why don't we just test for everything? This is not feasible -- you have to know what you are looking for. In conditions such as anophthalmia that aren't passed on from generation to generation, it's incredibly difficult.

next: Your Home's 10 Germ Hideouts
Rolex Watches December 13, 2010, 1:23 AM

do Rolex watches identify If you a month has 30 days? I have a Citizen hand-Watch as this doesn’t recognize when a month without doubt has much less than thirty one days. just today (October 1) I had how to change it manually from thirty one how to 1. Digital watches allow no such Problem. achieve Rolex watches experience the same Trouble? Specifically I’m referring how to the Oyster Perpetual Day Date Watch.

shakeology review December 14, 2010, 11:26 AM

anyone who employs Shakeology? I’m thinking as for trying this, and I i has wondering went this a as to people “just add spring water” shakes? I recognise that persons can obtain most fancy and also blend this, rather I need something positive quick as The mornings by use of my thing To college… very if this something positive I may just mix with pure, filtered water and go, I will as believe invest to this!! as well as long as you’re here, Techniques to Do you like this? would you recommend me faced with this to The early morning, as my breakfast replacement? Thank you :)

Eurobasket 2011 December 14, 2010, 12:27 PM

After out of and Croatia, Greece beats Israel by Eurobasket 2011..? Another Prepare! amazing! following step: against Germany. What Do you believe? The do not allow Nowitzki as well as we do not allow Papaloukas. this’s gonna be a great match.

Challenge Oxfordshire December 15, 2010, 4:53 AM

how I find from oxford how to oxfordshire? I want how to proceed out of oxford county forefront To Erisckson typical or Camp Corner to oxfordshire. I are able’t proceed by taxi it’s also expensive for me.

Dentist in Marana December 15, 2010, 7:13 AM

should a doctor file my front teeth To go about making them smaller and significantly more rounded? My two front teeth probably are a small amount big and also The bottom eges must be jagged. can the doctor file them just how to slightly round them build up a small amount (like Isabella Rosellini’s For example) exceedingly they do not appear just so square?

shakeology review December 15, 2010, 7:14 AM

has anyone ever tried Almased? I am considering as to test, but never convinced if I want this or Shakeology.. I desire something positive that promises To accomplish what it advertises and produce results. searching To lose, gain stamina and also muscle

Grow Taller  December 15, 2010, 9:09 AM

what exactly is the minimum height, a microwave oven should be hanged? I have recently bought a microwave oven as well as I was planning how to put on this underneath The workbench. on the user guide minimum height from floor is written To be 85 cm (33.5 inches) however using no explanation. I called customer assistance To receive farther explanation however The agent by The cell phone didn’t have on all idea and she informed it i has a overall expression and also There needs to be no wound To put it it below that height. I went appreciate if someone has any idea what should be the minimum height and The justification being that decrease?

chef coats December 24, 2010, 8:58 AM

Will need to I wear a chef coat to an interview??? I’m a cook and i prefer a chef coat to a cook shirt. I have worked in mediocre restaurants but I have an interview having a hospital along with a larger class restaurant that start out at $5-$7 much more an hour. Really should I wear a clear white chef coat for the interview???

chef coats December 25, 2010, 7:08 AM

Is there a distinction in between wearing a white chef coat along with a black chef coat? I was observing Leading Chef last evening and 1 from the guys had a black chef coat on whilst the remainder had white. Is there a distinction between the hues — do the colors symbolize something (like with hospital scrubs?) or is it only a shade? Thanks for the solutions.

leveling guide FFXIV December 25, 2010, 8:12 AM

I know Today gamers can pre-order FFxiv CDK, however I’m confused ,While I don’t recognise I must purchase it out of as this Place is my very best or proper choice. Waitng 4 ur answer!

Display Board January 14, 2011, 6:44 AM

How you can make my Haiti Show Board truly creative ? so I’m performing my region report on Haiti, and we are suppose to create our display board inventive, any ideas! its due Thursday!

bearded dragon lizards for sale January 15, 2011, 12:01 AM

Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it’s a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from.

flavorwave turbo oven reviews January 15, 2011, 4:44 AM

Has anybody attempted the flavorwave turbo oven? I am tempted to acquire it but I would like to know if anybody else has attempted it and if it actually works like they say on t.v.? appreciate the input. is it worthy of the get?

price 2011 subaru outback January 22, 2011, 12:37 AM

The Internet is like alcohol in some sense. It accentuates what you would do anyway. If you want to be a loner, you can be more alone. If you want to connect, it makes it easier to connect.

augusta phones January 23, 2011, 4:41 AM

Does anybody know of canine breeders inside the state of maine? my dad would love to obtain a male husky puppy and we’re getting a tough time finding breeders inside the state of maine. i’m sure that there was a lady breeding huskies in the leeds / lewiston / augusta area a couple many years in the past but i no longer have her telephone number. we would prefer to obtain back in contact with her, but any breeder would be good.

Women and retirement January 23, 2011, 11:26 PM

What’s the best way for the 49 12 months outdated woman to begin a retirement fund? no scams? Im worried about my mom, she has no retirement money that I know of and I really want to help her out, what could be the best way for her to save up and get interest? I just genuinely want her to be able to retire by the time she’s 65, thanks for all your help gall

Chemical Peels For Acne Scars February 9, 2011, 1:45 PM

query about chemical peels for acne scars!? I not too long ago had a horrible breakout, and am now taking some medications like yaz and an antibiotic to obtain rid of it, and it’s functioning. however, I have some extremely light acne scarring, not noticable if I place make-up on, on my cheeks. Really light icepick scars I believe, or mabe not, but idk for sure that they will go away. I am making use of mederma, but I think I want to kick it up a knotch. Would doing a light chemical peel aid me? thanks!I dont will need accutane. And I wouldnt need to utilize it both, I am aware someone who has…

play online games February 13, 2011, 3:15 AM

Precisely what are a few online games that you can conserve?I enjoy enjoying online games but you must restart once you wish to participate in in many online games, precisely what are several video games that you could conserve your location then return to it pertaining to online games? Help!

How To Unlock PS3 February 15, 2011, 1:39 AM

How do I unlock your Necromancer throughout Castle crashers around the Playstation 3 slim?We have the actual Playstation 3 edition associated with Citadel Crashers and also cant learn how to discover the necromancer and the cultist. I’ve revealed to you your master and open up cover up white-colored knight however whenever my partner and i seek out the opposite a pair of online that demonstrate to get the actual DLC for that X-BOX edition.

Sofortkredit February 15, 2011, 11:54 AM

How fast will be your Sofortkredit credit score suffering from changes in Sofortkredit operation?Generally, precisely how present is the Sofortkredit companies data? Below normal ailments, our Sofortkredit utilizaiton differs hugely. While trying to get Sofortkredit, My partner and i normally would like 10-20% Sofortkredit utilization. I could reach that goal, however I wanted to understand: How much time after I make it 10-20% must i sign up for Sofortkredit? How long must i keep our Sofortkredit operation from 10-20%?