Baby Born Without Eyes

Her ultrasound looked perfect. But Baby Brielle Garrison was born without eyes. How common is this?

Dr. Alanna Levine: It's natural for a mother to worry about the health of her baby during her pregnancy. However, once she is told her ultrasound and genetic testing are normal, most expectant mothers breathe a sigh of relief. However, not all medical problems can be picked up during routine screening, as was the case for Brielle Garrison. Baby Brielle was born without eyes, a condition called anophthalmia. About 30 in every 10,000 children are born with this rare condition.

brielle garrison

Anophthalmia is rare, and the cause is unknown -- genetics and environmental exposures may play a role. There is no treatment to restore vision, but multiple cosmetic procedures are necessary to make space in the eye sockets for prosthetic eyes. On average, a child will need new prostheses every few weeks until age two, and then three or four between the ages of 2 and 10.

As a pediatrician, I attend many deliveries each week and frequently I am asked, "Ten fingers and ten toes?" Delivering good news is always easy and joyous, but few things are harder than having to tell new parents that there is an abnormal finding, even if it's as minor as a birthmark.

Many people ask about broadening the screening process during pregnancy. Why don't we just test for everything? This is not feasible -- you have to know what you are looking for. In conditions such as anophthalmia that aren't passed on from generation to generation, it's incredibly difficult.

next: Your Home's 10 Germ Hideouts
Burlington mortgage broker February 15, 2011, 11:50 PM

How do I be a unbiased Burlington mortgage broker?We are aiming to turn into Impartial Burlington mortgage broker and that i only require information on how to begin that. We know hawaii demands contributing to the particular certification, I will be located in New york. Among the finest to understand about setting up like building a relationship having a banker along with undergo all of them independently. One of the better to learn everything I need to commence. Anyone who desires to carry on providing me advice will probably be tremendously appreciated many thanks!

polo shirts February 16, 2011, 1:05 PM

what exactly are the many brands associated with polo shirts, as well as do you know the store merchants to discover all of them cheapest?Im searching for the polo that can be donning, i’m dark and also similar to big tshirts as well as slacks, I also enjoy Products pants.

wartrol reviews February 16, 2011, 2:52 PM

Has any individual employed wartrol with regard to penile warts? And also do you use it?Im searching for real testimonies consequently you should when you have applied this device could you talk about your exposure to me. Thanks a lot so much!

Best Wireless N Router February 17, 2011, 2:21 AM

How one can extend the range of any Wireless N router? I have an Xtreme N the now necessary wireless router (Dlink). I have to extend the reach belonging to the wireless signal. I have learned to do it for a G signal. I want to know how to do the item for an N indicate. Is it possible make use of regular N routers since repeaters. If so, how do i configure them. Thanks for the information.

Zhu Zhu Pets February 17, 2011, 6:09 AM

Carry out Hairy Frenzies Switch Such as Zhu Zhu pets?Would they change as well as support similar to zhu zhu pets? Or even would they only go ahead a new straight range? Cleaning it once a all of them out there, company that they change and support the same as zhu zhu pets. In my oppinion, they’re a lot cuter!

Spanish property February 17, 2011, 10:31 AM

how will you tap out zero trespassing inside the spanish language. trying to maintain asian staff away from my house?how will you convert “J as well as Grams Property” to people from france, italian and spanish?Exactly why are the actual windows inkjet printer qualities for one of my own laser printers listed in Spanish language?In most of our ‘microsoft’ programs, when I go to produce (File>Print) to 1 regarding my own printers the window for that qualities happens coded in Spanish for reasons uknown. How do you adjust this specific for you to Uk?

chicago photographers February 18, 2011, 4:16 AM

I am just looking for very good modelling professional photographers inside chi town..Assist!?Does anybody understand great modelling professional photographers regarding photograph launches within Detroit region? together with sensible fee!!! Thanks a lot

Best Wireless-N Router February 19, 2011, 4:56 AM

How to extend the range of your Wireless N router? Relating to an Xtreme N wireless router (Dlink). I should extend the reach in the wireless signal. I discover how to do it for some sort of G signal. I need to know how to do it for an N sign. Is it possible to use regular N routers when repeaters. If so, just how do i configure them. Thanks with the information.

comment seduire une femme February 19, 2011, 8:42 AM

Would it be simpler to seduce any married woman than a individual girl?I have found it easier to manipulate hitched females when compared with solitary females. Provides someone else found this to get the case? Values (in the Latin moralitas “manner, persona, suitable behavior”). Morality means the signal of execute used to get well-respected in things regarding right along with drastically wrong. Morals are manufactured through and also determine through modern society, school of thought, faith, as well as person mind. Apparently my own person mind is different from others.

wholesale aprons February 20, 2011, 4:46 AM

How can i obtain aprons pertaining to the house cleanup company?I retain searching for apron great for housekeeping, however just about all I find are generally apron with regard to culinary experts.

wholesale aprons February 20, 2011, 7:21 AM

how many aprons are there ?we have been aproncollectors and that we have for the One-hundred-twenty aprons, and also you?

housekeeping uniforms February 21, 2011, 2:50 AM

Might an individual solution this particular make sure you?What are female housekeeping services clothing on the Wonderful Hair Hotel? I would be getting employment generally there as well as really don’t desire to use among those unsightly costume just like items..

VHS to DVD Los Angeles February 22, 2011, 12:27 AM

We do VHS transfer & Duplication to any media including DVD, CD, Blu-Ray

chicago headshots February 22, 2011, 12:28 AM

Have to have fantastic headshots done in detroit?We have headshots now (really amature) and so i have to get a new, excellent established, cost is irrelevant. In case any person knows of any great photography lovers in your neighborhood(Chicago , il) that could rock. thanks and serenity.

toshiba laptops February 24, 2011, 12:07 AM

How about we I purchase the Vis deploy disk using New laptop laptop computers?All of us usually obtain New laptop notebook computers for our company. All of them include Landscape Business the necessary licenses. We didn’t have trouble until eventually right now since we formatted them and put in XP in each one to keep up with business standards. Seeing that were intending on modernizing, this indicates strange that will no of these involved the vista Compact disc but instead came along using a Or windows 7 expert hard drive. May i obtain the Operating system coming from a place since i have currently have the particular the necessary licenses?

jersey shore episodes March 7, 2011, 1:51 AM

Hi! WONDERFUL Post.thanks for share..more wait ..

Baby Modeling March 9, 2011, 7:12 AM

How would anyone obtain their infant in the choices in business?I’ve a sweet 6 calendar month outdated little girl plus I’ve been told once or twice which your woman is seen as a little one type. Can anyone available know where to start this to be able form of point? That would I contact about this? Where must i start getting the girl’s modeling?

Шопска салата March 30, 2011, 3:57 AM

Наричат ме Емануела Петрова. Кулинарията ми е страст. В моя сайт споделям част от рецептите за готвене, които аз лично съм изпробвала с истинско старание и любов за моите приятели. Като, че всяка рецепта си има случка и нещо хубаво за да бъде написана тук. Повечето рецепти са ми вкусни, част от другите просто сполучливи или пък не напълно. Някои от постовете бързи, а други дълго изпробвани. Хайде седнете приятно! Надявам се да се почувствате уютно в моята малка кухня и точно тук да откриете вашата любима

kitten names April 2, 2011, 1:45 AM

exactly where will i visit find uniqe kitten names? I recently implemented a new dilute calico cat two days in the past and she is actually so’ooo sweet! My partner and i need the name that fits the girl character also because her look, any name in which isn’t to typical. She actually is 8 weeks aged and enjoys devotion.

Hi! This web site is really a walk-through for all of the info you wanted about this and didn’t know who to ask. Glimpse here, and you’ll definitely discover it.