Fox's 'Family Guy' Takes on Sarah Palin by Appearing to Mock Her Son Trig's Down Syndrome

NY Daily News: Fox could be heading to Sarah Palin's doghouse after the animated show "Family Guy" appeared to mock her son's Down syndrome on Sunday night.

Sarah Palin and son Trig
In the taste-challenged episode, one of the show's characters dates a woman who apparently suffers from Down syndrome. The woman makes comparisons to Palin's 22-month-old son, Trig.

"My dad's an accountant, and my mom's the former governor of Alaska," the mentally disabled character said, without mentioning any names.

The irreverent cartoon stepped over the line just days after Palin lambasted both White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel and radio talkmeister Rush Limbaugh for using the word "retard," which she considers an unacceptable slur.

There was no immediate comment from Palin, who recently became a Fox News contributor.

The former Republican Vice Presidential candidate demanded that Emanuel be fired for using the r-word to describe liberal activists in a closed-door meeting last summer.

She also called Limbaugh "disrespectful" for using the word during his program.

Read more stories moms are talking about.

next: 7-Year-Old Samba Queen Cries at Rio's Carnival
Angie February 15, 2010, 8:49 AM

stupid people for writing this and stupid people for actually laughing at it

chris February 15, 2010, 10:14 AM

I have a real problem with anyone making fun of a child with any kind of disability. What is wrong with these people? I don’t understand the people in hollywood. What if people made fun of John Travota son or Holly Robinson Peete son or the many other “hollywood celebrities” who has child with issues. I would love to John Travota reaction if someone stupid show on tv made so called funny comments about his son. For those who have perfectly healthy children, thank God. It is not okay to pick on Sarah Palin son or anyone elses child. Shame on Hollywood!!!

renee February 15, 2010, 12:58 PM

sarah palin is annoying,its a cartoon and if you cant take the off color jokes-CHANGE THE CHANNEL

Shay February 15, 2010, 1:16 PM

Renee do you not get that they are making fun of a disabled baby- You disgust me as much as this show! Who cares if the mother is annoying No child deserves that. Grow up and I hope decent people boycott this show and any sponsors!

Rita February 15, 2010, 5:27 PM

I can’t stand Sarah Palin and I like Family Guy, but making fun of a disability, then making fun of a disabled channel is way over the line. I have a sense of humor but I can’t laugh as this.

They can make fun of politics, Wilford Brimley (the diabetes guy), and high school outcasts, but making fun of any disability and a disabled baby is so not funny. Shame on you, Family Guy writers.

abbey February 15, 2010, 7:08 PM

Actually, they were not making fun of the baby with down’s syndrome they were making fun of the eldest daughter, who isn’t mentally handicapped but often speaks & acts like a moron (having a baby at 18 is fun!). I wish people would actually watch the show before making these sweeping judgements and, frankly, inflammatory accusations.

anonymous February 17, 2010, 11:29 AM

The real problem comes from people who think it’s okay to make fun of some issues, but not others. That is not equality, which is something easily offended people are always pining for. Rita, is it truly acceptable to make fun of somebody with diabetes, but not down’s syndrome? I have a nephew with down’s syndrome, and love the little guy, but I laughed my butt off at that episode. When it comes to an issue you have no interest in, or disagree with, you laugh, but when it hits home, it crosses the line? What line? Your line? To draw the line of acceptable humor/free speech where your moral sensibilities lay is at best selfish, and worst totalitarian. Grow up, get over it, and realize that living in a free society means ideas and words might be postured that you don’t agree with. Change the channel to “The View” if you want to be pandered to.

avengingannie February 18, 2010, 3:20 PM

What mother thinks so low of their kid that anytime the “r” word is mentioned they go off the broom handle? We can’t force people to stop using this word and she knows that! She used her son and daughter to play the victim once more to get sympathy. There is nothing wrong with having a kid with DS. Get over it Sarah. We love kids with DS. I’m only sorry you have such low expectations for your son. I don’t.

Rockmomminov February 18, 2010, 3:27 PM

The actress, Andrea, who played the girl was born with down syndrome, right? She actually broke through the ridiculous stereotypes of down syndrome kids being like warm affectionate kittens. That’s how we treat them instead of the real individuals they are! Go Andrea, sweetie! We love you and think you are sexy!!! Mrs. Palin should take a lesson from the Family Guy but nobody ever listens with their mouth open half the time. Bla bla bla to you!

ag March 1, 2010, 6:21 PM

So this is somehow more worse the the episode with “prom night dumpster baby”? The point is they don’t discriminate. They make fun of everybody!