I Am NOT a Pregnant Teen!

pregnant woman

Ashlee Holland: While on set for a project recently, I met a very sweet young girl. We chatted up a storm about life, family and our careers. In the middle of our conversation, she mentioned that she was scared about having a baby. I was a little confused: She didn't even appear to be pregnant. Because she looked so young, I assumed that she was talking about the future. Then, when she explained that she was actually in her second trimester, I concluded that she must be a pregnant teen. Her being scared about having a baby was due to her youth ... right? Stupid me.

Without saying anything about how young she was, I asked if the father was involved. She laughed and pulled her hands out of her pockets, showing off her gorgeous wedding rings. "Of course he is," she said. "I'm married!" Now I was REALLY perplexed.

The girl couldn't have been a day over 18, and by all appearances, even that was really pushing it. Seeing my dumbfounded gaze, she responded (without hesitation), "I know: I look 16, right?" I was relieved that she had said it first. This "young girl" was actually a 30-year-old married woman, five months pregnant with her first child. I was shocked and a bit jealous of her youthful looks.

"Sometimes I don't even feel pregnant, because I am not showing," she said. "When I do tell people, I feel like I am sharing bad news." After receiving strange looks during a prenatal yoga class, she decided to keep the good news within a VERY small circle of family and friends. Because she is an actress and still takes roles on kid- and teen-based shows, sharing her pregnancy was not an option.

"They would think I just got knocked up," she says. "I don't want to be judged. I am NOT a pregnant teen!" With all of the scrutiny that Jamie Lynn Spears and Bristol Palin received after announcing their pregnancies at age 16, I don't blame her.

This young woman even insisted on seeing a specialist because she had no baby bump. (The doctor ensured her that the baby was perfectly healthy, and was even able to determine the baby's sex.) Personally, I can't imagine it: When I was three months along, I was showing a VERY big bump. I never looked like a pregnant teen -- even though I was only 21.

Adding insult to injury, one of the other ladies sharing our trailer asked the question, "And you are SURE you are pregnant?" OUCH. The look on this already-insecure young woman's face turned to sadness. I immediately tried to make her feel better by saying, "I bet you'll bounce right back after your pregnancy. At least you won't have a bunch of stretch marks!" I really did not know what to say. I could see from the look in her eyes that she gets reactions like this all of the time.

This was supposed to be the happiest time of her life, and she was not able to enjoy it -- for several reasons. I am positive she is not the only woman going through this struggle. The media obsesses about baby bumps, and many woman express that they don't feel pregnant until they have a prominent belly.

This woman is very pregnant and doesn't feel like she can TRULY share it with the world because of the stigma and stereotypes we place on pregnancy. I feel for her. After our long conversation, I wished her nothing but the best. She sweetly replied, "I'll be fine." I truly hope so.

Best Wishes and Happy Pregnancy.

next: Keep Your Kid Away from Thirdhand Smoke!
aatokirsa February 4, 2011, 3:28 PM
Rapidshare Videos February 8, 2011, 6:06 AM

doors.txt;5;10

Rapidshare Videos February 8, 2011, 6:34 AM

doors.txt;5;10

aatokirsa February 13, 2011, 3:26 AM
Bonnie Formey February 17, 2011, 1:02 AM

hello!,I like your writing very much! share we communicate more about your article on AOL? I need a specialist on this area to solve my problem. May be that’s you! Looking forward to see you.

Adria Brodmerkel February 19, 2011, 7:21 AM

Thanks a lot for sharing this with all of us you actually know what you’re talking about! Bookmarked. Kindly also visit my web site =). We could have a link exchange contract between us!

Jacquetta Poulter February 21, 2011, 4:07 AM

you’re really a good webmaster. The website loading speed is incredible. It seems that you are doing any unique trick. In addition, The contents are masterwork. you have done a great job on this topic!

Alex February 23, 2011, 6:41 AM

doors.txt;15;25

Alveo March 21, 2011, 6:06 PM

I just sent this post to a bunch of my friends as I agree with most of what you’re saying here and the way you’ve presented it is awesome.

Alveo March 22, 2011, 12:37 PM

Very informative post. Thanks for taking the time to share your view with us.

pompa wtryskowa vp29 March 27, 2011, 8:51 AM

Can I simply say what a reduction to find someone who truly knows what theyre speaking about on the internet. You undoubtedly know easy methods to deliver an issue to mild and make it important. Extra individuals need to read this and understand this side of the story. I cant imagine youre not more standard because you undoubtedly have the gift.

pompa vp29 March 31, 2011, 4:41 PM

There are some attention-grabbing deadlines in this article but I don’t know if I see all of them center to heart. There’s some validity however I’ll take hold opinion until I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we would like extra! Added to FeedBurner as properly

Chae Hiscock April 2, 2011, 3:33 PM

Excellent read, I merely passed this onto a colleague who was doing slightly research on that. And hubby actually bought me lunch as a result of I discovered it for him smile therefore well then , sick rephrase that: many thanks for lunch!

Suanne Veals April 3, 2011, 11:06 PM

I am thus grateful for this post and thanks most for sharing it with us.

Gilberto Golan April 5, 2011, 8:49 AM

I used to be very pleased to search out this internet-site.I wished to thanks for your time for this wonderful learn!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I’ve you bookmarked to check out new stuff you weblog post.

Jannie Cauthen April 6, 2011, 2:41 PM

This really answered my drawback, thanks!

Nathanael Schimmel April 6, 2011, 8:23 PM

I am therefore grateful for this post and many thanks most for sharing it with us.

Lelah Suozzi April 7, 2011, 11:58 AM

Awsome post and to the point. I not really apprehend if this is often very the best place to ask but do you guys have any thoughts on where to employ several pro writers? Thank you!

Andreas Buenviaje April 7, 2011, 8:44 PM

This informal article helped me a lot! Saved your site, extremely excellent categories just about everywhere that I see here! I really like the information, thanks.

Meredith Retchless April 8, 2011, 1:37 AM

Hey just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The words in your post seem to be running off the screen in Internet explorer. I’m not sure if this is a format issue or something to do with web browser compatibility but I figured I’d post to let you know. The design look great though! Hope you get the problem fixed soon. Many thanks