I'm a Vacation Virgin

I have two kids and I'm a virgin.

couple in a hotel room

Lenore Moritz: Not the "immaculate conception" kind of virgin, I'm a virgin when it comes to vacations and kids, as in: I've never gone on one without my kids. My oldest is nearing four and my husband and I have not had even one night away since his birth (that's 1,460 days!) Indeed, I'm a "kid-less vacation" virgin, but all that is about to change, and I'm equal parts nervous and excited. No, that's not true -- I'm definitely more excited than nervous and I don't even feel guilty about that ... I think that's a good sign.

I'm no "helicopter" parent, but I do have a (very) healthy cautious side. For a split second the other day, I wondered if (while I'm away) my son could wear his bike helmet walking up and down the concrete stairs in our house, but then I figured it would just make him feel more unbalanced.

A major milestone in my life (turning a big, bodacious age) has led to this getaway for me and my husband. I'm clearly ready for it, as indicated by the fact that my husband and I were giddy to have even a few minutes alone together ... in a grocery store. That's just ridiculous.

The two biggest things on my mind regarding the kids while we're away are:
1) having someone else manage my younger son on the aforementioned concrete stairs (concrete being an unforgiving surface); and,
2) someone else driving my kids in a car.

Legitimate concerns, but things I'll have to trust all will go well. I may ask my Catholic mother-in-law to say a few extra rosaries for the safety of her Jewish grandsons (and for good measure, to also pray for no snowstorms...oh, and safe air travel for us.)

It is only 3 1/2 days, so I'm trying to keep a good perspective on how it will go. Eating, for example -- if they live on crackers and noodles for a few days, they'll still find the energy to fight over who gets to ride the trike. And if they watch a few extra tv shows while we're gone, I'm pretty sure they'll still ace preschool.

I think this is going to play out like a job interview: anxious until you arrive, then you ease into it and enjoy the conversation. When I wake up that first morning away, snuggled up next to my husband, and realize that it's really not an upside down 6 on the alarm clock, I'll be thrilled to have de-flowered my vacation virgin status.

next: NBC's Lost 'Soul'
Shanno February 5, 2010, 5:53 AM

You are not alone in your virginity. My daughters are 7 and 4. I will be taking my first kid free vacation with my husband this year, too.

blw February 5, 2010, 6:07 AM

have fun! i’m jealous!

merlinregis February 5, 2010, 7:16 AM

Sorry, but NO!

Come on!
Mother hen doesn’t overprotect as much as you do!

There “IS” a life after giving birth, you just have to LET GO.

How do birds teach their kindlings to fly? By kicking them out of the nest! I may be wrong but I very strongly think that you’ll still be hatching them when they’re adults.

It’s not just bad for you but for them also.

2 words to close this before I “go wild” :

-1- Trust
-2- Thrust

Trust people that someone else than you can also take care of them.

Give them a good thrust out in the real world.

Good luck, you seriously need it :-S

merlinregis

Beth Blair February 5, 2010, 10:53 AM

Wow! You’re going to have so much fun together. Enjoy sleeping in! Whatever you do - just have fun. The kids will be fine and you will come back rejuvenated. We’ve got to get together one of these days.

Happy Travels!

~Beth

mercaties February 6, 2010, 12:18 AM

My oldest is almost nine, my youngest is almost three and my husband and I have never had a vacation without them. My family lives half way accross the country, my mother and father in law still work full time and my husbands siblings have huge families of their own and also work full time. For us it’s not that we wouldn’t love to take a vacation without them we really do not have anybody to watch them for more than a few hours at a time.

Emily B. February 8, 2010, 5:53 AM

Oh Lenore, you’re going to have an amazing time! 3.5 days will let you enjoy yourself, yet miss the kids a little and be happy to see them when you get home.

Your MIL will do a great job, she raised your husband after all!! Have fun :)

Emily B. February 8, 2010, 5:57 AM

You’re going to have an amazing time, Lenore! Enjoy yourself, order breakfast in bed, get a massage, play some tennis and don’t think about a thing except what book you will read!

Don’t worry, your MIL will do a great job, she raised your husband after all:)

Best, Emily (Sarah’s mama)