Jenny: Autism Study Retraction 'Censorship'

This week, the medical journal Lancet fully retracted the 1998 study linking the MMR vaccine to autism, citing "incorrect" elements of research. Now, the anti-vaccine movement's most famous poster parents, Jenny McCarthy and Jim Carrey, are calling the retraction an act of censorship.

jenny mccarthy and jim carrey

"The Lancet's retraction gets us no closer to understanding this complex issue," says McCarthy. "The U.S. vaccine schedule has grown from 10 vaccines given to our children in the 1980s to 36 today, perfectly matching the dramatic rise in autism. The work of Dr. Wakefield and his colleagues deserves to be shared with the world to further, rather than censor, scientific progress."

Jenny's book "Louder Than Words: A Mother's Journey in Healing Autism" chronicles her life with autistic son Evan. She says her son was completely healthy until he received his childhood vaccines.

Click here to read the entire statement.

next: Do Not Pass Go: Monopoly Gets a Makeover
Anonymous February 5, 2010, 6:04 PM

i think their just too proud to admit when their wrong

Anonymous February 5, 2010, 6:48 PM

I think you are just too proud or naive to open your eyes to what is really going on.

SS February 5, 2010, 7:58 PM

This is very dangerous territory. There are lots of parents out there who have mistakenly thought vaccines led to autism so they didn’t give them their kids vaccines then their children died of completely preventable diseases. So far there is no evidence that vaccines lead to autism. That’s not to say I’m against further research being done. As long as parents think it’s possible it should be studied but it’s very dangerous to suggest that vaccines lead to autism when, so far, there is absolutely no evidence of that whatsoever.

MomMonkey February 5, 2010, 8:57 PM

Perhaps the cynics should actually read their statement? It’s very compelling. Show me the 14 monkeys!!

Pamala February 5, 2010, 9:51 PM

Yeah lets see, I’ll take the advice of a freaking comedian over the advice of my doctor, scientists and years of vaccines working. Yeah that’s what I’ll do. /sarcasm

mercaties February 5, 2010, 11:43 PM

I have always had a problem with this study. Millions of children are vaccinated every year and don’t have autisim. People have a hard time understanding something if they can’t put a reason behind it. We might as well blame childhood obesity, diabetes and whatever other diseases are out there on vaccines also.

Anna February 5, 2010, 11:47 PM

Why is this entertainer considered an expert on vaccine science? Well, she’s doing what she’s qualified for — making me laugh!

Anonymous February 6, 2010, 4:48 PM

Is it possible Jenny took alot of drugs when she was younger and maybe that’s why her kids is messed up?

MOTHER February 6, 2010, 7:28 PM

I THANK JENNY AND JIM FOR BRINGING THIS OUT IN THE OPEN! I FEEL HER PAIN HAVING A SON WITH AUTISM, ALSO! PEOPLE WHO DISAGREE OR ARE MEAN TOWARDS HER ARE VERY HATEFUL, LONELY PEOPLE WITHOUT AUTISM IN THEIR FAMILIES! THEY SHOULD PRAY TONIGHT AND THANK GOD!

Anonymous February 8, 2010, 2:19 AM

I am a pediatric RN and I see first hand how people are so brainwashed against vaccinations since Jenny started running her mouth. There is absolutely no science to back up her claims. I see many children w/ autism who have not had any vaccines- Do you ever hear anything about that? Millions of people died before we had the vaccines that are available today. We should be thankful that we have access to them. Furthermore, I believe it should be a law that all children should be vaccinated, else parents face criminal charges. I also see firsthand many parents who have no medical background rationalize their actions. Ignorance can be dangerous! I see parents who are against all vaccines come in with a child with and open laceration refuse a tetanus shot. If their child got tetanus- I would testify against the mother in a court of law. People need to learn that anyone can post things on the internet or create a website that reflects their views…Just because you read it does not mean it is the gospel!

Cheryl February 8, 2010, 3:37 AM

I think that these two are doing more harm than good to their movement. There is much to be learned from studies involving vaccines, they are far from perfect. But if the scientists that did the research are saying that their findings are not accurate, why is it so hard to believe? Her correlation between the rise in autism diagnosis and the number of vaccines is far too simplistic to be right. She just is not helping.

Anonymous February 8, 2010, 8:36 AM

Dear Jenny McCarthy - if you allegedly “cured” your child of Autism, then he NEVER had autism. So please, stop with your nonsense and just admit you’re wrong.

Anonymous February 8, 2010, 4:51 PM

faker

Anonymous February 8, 2010, 7:23 PM

Jenny McCarthy is a whack job.

ShootEmUp February 9, 2010, 10:10 PM

Having seen Jenny speak, I can assure you she knows the issue. It’s a simple fact pattern: autism up 100-fold in 20 years. Vaccines have tripled in 20 years. Need to find an environmental cause, and vaccines are known to cause brain injury in some portion of the kids. And, parents everywhere point to vaccines as causing their child’ regression into autism.

Please keep your mind open, hating on Jenny accomplishes nothing.

Karen April 15, 2010, 10:36 PM

As a therapist who has worked with children on the autism spectrum for the last 10 years, I have personally seen children, too many to count, that were born “normal/typical” who have developed Autism as a direct result from their vaccines that contained Thimerisol. There is without a doubt a connection here. Not the only connection but absolutley a link. Many circumstances are contributing factors, but the link to vaccines for some children IS THERE. This is a crisis and an absolute horror that the autism/vaccine connection is not being taken more seriously. Vaccines absolutely have their place, but in reality the schedule of vaccines now in place and considered normal is rediculious. So sad for the children of the future that this reality is being ignored.

The position of some of the postings here,that can not get over the fact that Jenny leads a different life from them, so therefore she does not know what she has researched, lived, and educated herself about, is hard to tolerate. I have no bias, just simple facts to base my statements on.

Hyperbaric Therapy August 6, 2010, 4:53 AM

May likely you be fascinated over a link trade? Be kind to mail us a communication.

Hyperbaric Therapy August 9, 2010, 4:48 AM

Would you be interested on a website link trading? Be kind to communicate myself a message.

Hyperbaric Therapy August 9, 2010, 8:17 AM

Hi. I am looking for guest internet writers to the web site my team may be creating. If you are fascinated, you know where to reach me personally.

Hyperbaric Therapy August 9, 2010, 7:14 PM

Hey there ! Do you have a sort of gift box where I may easily direct gift in PayPal?