Just a Guy Who HATES Valentine's Day

Okay, if we men are really honest, we'll admit how much we HATE Valentine's Day. Just so I don't get too much grief for this, I'll state up-front how much I love my wife. I do. And, she can cook.

random winter scene

Bruce Sallan: BUT, I rarely get it right with presents, especially on V.D.! I'm supposed to read her mind, of course. I thought that buying flowers at Costco a couple weeks ahead of "the special day" was a cool idea (plus, they were cheaper then than they are around V.D., when we get ripped off). That didn't pan out too well.

I'm doubly screwed each year because my wife's birthday is just three weeks after V.D. So, I have to figure out back-to-back "just right" gifts. Starting in early February, the pressure begins to build until it peaks near the "big day." Now, I did get it "right" for a "big" birthday she had a couple of years ago, when I took her heliskiing for her first time! (See the amazing photo of where we were!)

This year, she's decided to take matters into her own hands. As we're going on a big trip next month, she explained that at one of our stops they have some sort of special pearls. So, for both her birthday AND Valentine's Day, I'm getting her pearls. I don't know my budget, as she's just taken over. In my feeble male brain, I'd sort of thought the "big trip" would suffice.

Maybe I'm better off with her taking over? Maybe not. What do I know, other than that I HATE Valentine's Day 'cause I'm just a guy.

next: Star-Studded 'We Are the World 25' Premieres
Canadian Bald Guy February 14, 2010, 5:17 AM

I think Valentine’s Day is starting to get some public pushback, which is just fine by me.

I mean, it’s a fake “holiday” 100% designed to encourage consumer spending. I mean, I know the originals of St. Valentine and all that…but it’s turned into a consumer’s nightmare.

For me, I do my absolute best to tell my significant other than I love them every day…not just one day of the year. And I’d much rather do something special for her when it’s NOT expected.

So yeah…you’re definitely not alone with your feelings on this particular day.

Denise February 14, 2010, 6:40 AM

Bruce, I know that’s the truth about how most guys feel - but I sure hope, per your words, that you are TCB!

chris February 14, 2010, 8:04 AM

As a woman who has been married for many many years, I can tell you that I hate valentine day too! I hate spending money on cards that cost too much and candy that I really don’t need to eat or flowers that die in a couple of days. I love my husband and I tell and show him everyday, I don’t need one day to tell me how to show it.

Pippi February 14, 2010, 11:06 AM

I’m neutral to Valentine’s Day. I mostly enjoy it for my boys (since they are my valentine’s). BF and I are just happy to be with each other and don’t need to do anything special.

Jen February 14, 2010, 11:09 AM

This woman hates V-Day too. =)

Jeff February 14, 2010, 11:37 AM

Bruce, thank you for speaking for this man - and I know many, many others. I love that you speak “the truth” and don’t hold back. However, I’d rather not be in your home when your wife reads this and some of your other blogs - lol.

michelle February 14, 2010, 1:36 PM

Oh look, more gender stereotyping — that’s the Valentine’s Day present that keeps on giving.

friend February 14, 2010, 5:38 PM

what’s worse than thinking of the perfect gift for a woman is thinking of one for a man. there are just very limited options which is the same headache that comes at least 3 times a year: Vday, Bday, Xmas. +_+

Melissa February 14, 2010, 7:59 PM

I’m a woman that absolutely hates VD also.

Wendi February 15, 2010, 8:29 AM

I don’t like it, we don’t waste money on it. It’s just another day. It was fun for my 3yr old to do the whole valentine cards thing in his preschool, but that is about it.

Barry February 15, 2010, 9:21 AM

Bruce, you are the man. BUT, geez, too much wasted effort on why men and women hate Valentines Day. Blah, Blah, Blah. Just don’t stress. Get a nice card, take your sweetheart out for a nice cozy dinner. Even more fun, the two of you decide on what to cook, go together to the supermarket and pick up the ingredients, then come home and open a bottle of wine and cook together. Fun, romantic, and stress free. If you screw up the dinner….even more fun and stories to tell. So everyone needs to stop complaining and just have fun with it. It is not s death sentence to have a romantic evening with your significant other. Life runs at us so fast. V day gives a time to pause and tell that someone special you love them. Even if you do it often during the year.

Black Iris February 15, 2010, 12:08 PM

I like Valentine’s Day. It’s one more chance to celebrate your love. It takes a little effort, but most couples would forget to do anything without special occasions.

Sonnie February 17, 2010, 11:01 AM

I’m not that much into Valentines Day myself. We do a card for each other and he gives me flowers but he expresses his love for me in so many ways throughout the year that it’s not really needed.

My favorite part of Valentines Day is I have another excuse to make him a batch of brownies.

David March 30, 2010, 3:43 PM

Not only do I dislike Valentine’s Day, I dislike holiday’s in general. Birthdays, Mother’s Day, you name it … I dislike them … and “dislike” is UNDERSTATING it. For my own birthday, to be remembered with “hey, happy birthday” from associates, or in a phone call from a loved one, is absolutely sufficient. The best Christmases I have ever spent were those I spent in Islamic and Buddhist nations … the point being, Christmas is at best a small-scale matter of interest among very specific segments of the population. Valentine’s Day sucks more than the usual no-reason-in-the-world-for-existing holiday. Heaven is a place where I don’t have to buy cards, nor worry about choosing gifts (other than seeing something randomly that I think I’d like to give a friend or loved one for no reason other than the relationship is pleasing, and then giving it to him or her), nor worry about whether I have to go into it’s-the-thought-that-counts rationalization mode to find any meaning in a gift I may receive on an official-gift-giving-day occasion.

Ten Tees January 9, 2011, 3:10 PM

Great article. Nice and fun reading. I have a single observation to submit about t-shirts.