Kevin Smith 'Too Fat' to Fly Southwest

People: Kevin Smith's most famous role is a guy who rarely speaks. But he's got a lot to say - much of it profane - after being kicked off a Southwest Air flight because he didn't fit comfortably into the seat.

SouthwestAirlines270.jpg
"You [messed] with the wrong sedentary processed-foods eater!" Smith, whose next film, Cop Out, comes out Feb. 26, posted on Twitter.

It was one of many Tweets recounting the actor/director's humiliating expulsion Saturday from the Oakland-to-Burbank, Calif. flight. Southwest said in a statement airline officials had called Smith to offer their "heartfelt apologies," but also stated his removal was for the "safety and comfort of all customers."

Smith, 39, originally purchased two tickets "as he's been known to do when traveling Southwest," the airline noted, but when he decided to fly standby on an earlier flight, only one seat remained. Although he had been seated, he was asked to leave.

"If a customer cannot comfortably lower the armrest and infringes on a portion of another seat, a customer seated adjacent would be very uncomfortable and a timely exit from the aircraft in the event of an emergency might be compromised if we allow a cramped, restricted seating arrangement," Southwest said.

I'm Fat

Smith, who played Silent Bob in his Clerks movies and who has battled his weight for years - "I know I'm fat," he confesses - was given a $100 voucher and arrived in Burbank on a later flight. But he was in no mood to accept an apology.

"I broke no regulation, offered no 'safety risk' (what, was I gonna roll on a fellow passenger?)" he Tweeted. "I saw someone bigger than me on THAT flight! But I wasn't about to throw a fellow Fatty under the plane as I'm being profiled. But he & I made eye contact, & he was like 'Please don't tell...'"

After landing in Burbank, Smith wrote, "Don't worry: wall of the plane was opened & I was airlifted out while Richard Simmons supervised."

Smith added that while the ordeal was embarrassing, his "Jersey Girl training" (the 2004 flop starring Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez) was helping him cope.

Read more stories moms are talking about.

next: Fox's 'Family Guy' Takes on Sarah Palin by Appearing to Mock Her Son Trig's Down Syndrome
Shay February 15, 2010, 1:11 PM

Im glad the Airlines are taking into account the comfort of normal size passengers. If you don’t fit in one seat buy two. I shouldn’t have half a seat because the person next to me is overweight.

renee February 15, 2010, 1:12 PM

seriously,if they actually make people who “can not lower the arm rests down”get off the planes i guess they will have no customers and they shouldve removed the guy next to me whose body was literally in my seat with me.but no i sat squished for 4 hrs

Gail Cooke February 15, 2010, 3:18 PM

As I said on my Twitter post on @KevinSmith…I’m not thin, but I don’t need 2 airline seats. Lose weight and take some personal responsibility for yourself.

tennmom February 15, 2010, 5:01 PM

I agree that someone so overweight they spill onto the space of another passenger should be expected to pay for an extra seat, and let’s all go ahead and say it, sometimes they need the seats on either side of them and should pay for that/those seat/seats along with the one their behind is sitting in.
My husband is 6’6”, 220 pounds. His BMI is well within the normal range. He is very fit, muscular, his behind fits quite comfortably in his own seat. His shoulders on the other hand, are about 4 feet wide. When we fly together we have no problem, I just adjust myself accordingly to give him enough of my space so as not to “shoulder” his way into another passenger’s space. It’s even easier when our daughters are flying with us. We put our 10 year old or 12 year old by the window, he goes second, we fit together just fine.
Overweight people can diet & lose weight, but there is not much one with 4 ft. wide shoulders can do to reduce their size. He does often “hunch” his shoulders together & sit with his hands between his knees to take up as little space is he possibly can.

Kim February 15, 2010, 6:46 PM

omg, stop being so rude here. overweight people have feelings too you know.. and some can not help being overweight.. oh and from what ive seen, normal size is on the bigger side..

Robin February 15, 2010, 8:19 PM

It doesn’t say so in this version of the story, but Kevin Smith could in fact comfortably lower the arm rests and buckle the seat belt, which is what is required to fly SW, they removed him anyway. He has said so himself, he’s fat, but he’s not that fat!

GPC February 15, 2010, 11:30 PM

Kim, seriously…don’t get into the medical condition stuff…because while there are medical conditions, they are a rarity. I’ve got weight on me, but that’s because I eat a lot and don’t exercise. At least I admit it. Yep, bigger people have feelings too, but how much do we have to coddle people? Say it’s ok, when really, it’s not? See someone eating themselves to death, enabling them to do so and saying it’s ok to take 2 or 3 seats? Seriously? Are people that weak minded? I guess so…so it’s ok to treat adults like toddlers and say it’s ok, everyone should cow tow to you? That is what is wrong with this society…everything’s ok and you never have to take once once of self reliance. And when someone has a heart attack because they are too fat to sit in one seat? Who’s responsibility is it then? I would think friends and loved ones for not telling the person the truth.

Mary February 16, 2010, 5:38 AM

I think everyone is missing the point. There were other overweight people on the flight and they did not remove them. I would rather be squished than sit by someone who smells bad. (or has a screaming baby). The airlines are getting away with rude behavior, charging a lot of money for tickets and not giving the customer good service. No one deserves to be humiliated, ever.

agostetebaria May 5, 2010, 3:00 PM

Hey

Really glad to get into this forum
It’s what I am looking for.
Hope to know more member here.