School Suspends Kid for LEGO Toy Gun?

Is this okay?

lego toy gun

Nine-year-old Patrick Timoney brought a gun to school at PS 52 in Staten Island, N.Y., Tuesday and almost got suspended. The problem? It was a two-inch LEGO toy gun.

The fourth grader brought some of his LEGOs to school to show his friends during lunch. The LEGO police officer toy was holding a small gun. (Patrick's dad is a retired police officer.)

When the principal saw it, she pulled the kid out of class and called Patrick's parents. She says the school has a "no tolerance" policy and does not allow any weapons on campus.

Laura Timoney, Patrick's mom, told CBS News: "This isn't a safety issue. This is a judgment issue. I mean, what's the worst that could happen? It could poke you in the eye?"

We're all for keeping kids safe, but we'd say the school took this way too far this time. What about you?

next: 13-Year-Old Choked to Death on Hot Dog
Mandi February 4, 2010, 4:38 PM

Thats ok, when I was in 4th grade, I got suspended for having a transparent blue plastic water gun that I got from a school function. It happened to be in the pocket of the coat I was wearing, that I hadn’t worn since the day I got it. The darn thing was broken, too.

Kim @ Beautiful Wreck February 4, 2010, 11:20 PM

This is an example of why I homeschool my children. Common Sense is dead in America, and even more so in our schools. The school district and the teacher should be ashamed and feel stupid.

Vania February 5, 2010, 12:38 AM

They’re okay with teaching my kids about safe sex in elementary school but they’re not okay with lego guns. I guess they have a zero tolerance policy for office Nerf wars, here, too. I know where I’m NOT going to teach! Poor kid; meanwhile I’ll bet half the liberal teachers at this school have had more than ten sexual partners out of wedlock and have texted while driving. And that’s not as dangerous? Hippies.

When did I become my Mom February 5, 2010, 2:05 AM

It’s not a weapon - it’s a depiction of a weapon. Further, it wasn’t being used to intimidate or threaten. I’m with Beautiful Wreck on this - where is the common sense?

Gary February 5, 2010, 4:44 AM

It is easy to see why our Schools are failing to properly educate our children when they are run by Princapals as stupid as this woman. She should be replaced immediately but I suspect some Union will support her.

mercaties February 6, 2010, 12:34 AM

Hey lay off the principal. Maybe she just doesn’t want any of her students to be violently attacked by a Lego. LOL!

Hemorrhoid Cure November 27, 2010, 3:34 PM

Nice website. Nice piece of info, looking forward to your feed updates…

marbella apartments for rent December 10, 2010, 5:33 AM

Interesting site. Nice piece of info, I look forward to reading more of your posts.

dieta anului 2010 January 4, 2011, 8:22 AM

I have been searching the Internet for this info and i wanted to say thanks to you for the post. Also, just off topic, how can i get a version of this theme? – Thank you

Marc Jeanjacques January 7, 2011, 12:59 PM

Fine website. Thank you, great share.

Jill Wahr January 19, 2011, 1:18 AM

Very useful site. Thanks, great share.

Gail Shapero February 11, 2011, 4:20 AM

You are a very clever person!

foxyroxy February 16, 2011, 11:46 AM

heyyy mamas!!!

Stephane Mcdow March 16, 2011, 9:02 PM

I’d have to see eye to eye with you here. Which is not something I typically do! I love reading a post that will make people think. Also, thanks for allowing me to comment!

buy online shoes March 28, 2011, 11:38 PM

Your site has helped me a good deal to bring back additional confidence in myself. Bless you! Ive recommended it to my local freinds as well.

Elizbeth Hesser March 29, 2011, 6:03 PM

Well I sincerely enjoyed studying it. This tip provided by you is very constructive for good planning.

Victoria H. Thomson March 31, 2011, 4:32 AM

Fascinating

Jennifer I. Riley April 5, 2011, 2:31 PM

Hi there, - stumbled on your current web page by accident whilst roaming around the net this morning, and delighted that i did! I like the style and design and tones, but I have to say that I’m having difficulties when it loads. I’m using Lynxlet 7.1 browser for mac, and the top panel would not line up completely. i’m confident I’ve made use of precisely the same design on a company’s internet site, but the menu seems fine on mine. I suspect the fault is with my outdated browser and just maybe it’s time to upgrade!