Kids Learn from Our Stumbles

I remembered a great life lesson while I went skating with my kids.

kid at roller rink

Blythe Newsome: When I was growing up we used to rollerskate at an old armory. There was no shining disco ball in the middle of the room, just light pouring in from the big windows. Music played on the record player, periodically skipping as the needle hit a scratch. Instead of a shiny, slick linoleum floor, we skated around on an old hardwood floor where are wheels would gently roll over every bump and groove.

The other night I took the children roller skating. The skating rink is still dark with the exception of the flashing lights, and the music is so loud I found myself wishing they would turn it down a bit. The kids were singing along to songs that I cannot even begin to understand over the thumping of the bass. Tiny children skated by so quickly and fearlessly. I found myself wondering if I ever skated with such confidence.

I have a big decision to make as I lace up my son's skates. Do I want to be a cool parent that actually puts on the skates to help my younger ones skate, or do I just walk beside them with my flip-flops safely stuck to the floor? Daly begs me to put on skates. I am thinking of all the bones I can break when I fall.

As I am debating whether or not to be four inches off the ground on wheels, the cheering of six little children gets me up on the skates.

Hand in hand we went around the rink, my girls racing by, yelling words of encouragement. I didn't fall as many times as I expected, but the ground was just as hard as I remember it was when I was young. As I got my balance and watched the excitement in the eyes of my children as we skated together, I found myself thinking about how the fear of falling can prevent us from trying something. So what if we fall? Don't we want our children to see that yes, sometimes we do fall, but, more importantly, that we get back up?

That night when I was putting the kids to bed, Daly asked me if I was scared when I was skating. I told him I was a little afraid I would fall and get hurt, but I also knew I would be OK because I had him skating next to me to help me up if I fell, and I had his sisters cheering me on no matter how long I stayed up on my feet. As long as you have family and friends surrounding you, I told him, you will be OK if you fall.

The next morning was Daly's birthday. The first present he unwrapped was a pair of skates. As he put them on he said, "I am a little afraid, but it will be OK because you can help me up if I fall." That is right my sweet little boy -- don't let fear stand in your way. Go ahead and give it a try, and even if you fall, I will be there to help you back up and cheer you on.

next: Middle Schoolers and the Art of Conversation
pet supplies February 2, 2011, 6:34 PM

Heya, I just hopped over to your web site via StumbleUpon. Not somthing I would normally browse, but I liked your thoughts none the less. Thank you for making something well worth reading through.

radial labs February 2, 2011, 9:42 PM

Many of us wish to have an youthful , radiant, and younger-looking skin, especially on our face. The face will be the initial factor in our body that’s recognized by any individuals who stare at us. So it’s quire embarrassing if you will find dark spots, wrinkles, and fine lines that draw in our face. For this reason, searching for the top skincare items is everybody’s quest to solve the issues in our face along with other skins of our body.

Janice Whitney February 2, 2011, 11:44 PM

Hello.This post was extremely motivating, particularly because I was looking for thoughts on this issue last Sunday.

Daisy Providence February 3, 2011, 2:59 AM

Between me and my husband we’ve owned more MP3 players over the years than I can count, including Sansas, iRivers, iPods (classic & touch), the Ibiza Rhapsody, etc. But, the last few years I’ve settled down to one line of players. Why? Because I was happy to discover how well-designed and fun to use the underappreciated (and widely mocked) Zunes are.

Ashlea Zalewski February 3, 2011, 3:28 AM

Splendid, as a gentleman would say. Brilliant work on this writing. I sincerely adore it ;).

detektyw February 3, 2011, 8:58 AM

I’m not convinced of that…

SEO Outsourcing February 3, 2011, 3:42 PM

Nice write-up… I just liked this post :-)

torrent casino en ligne February 3, 2011, 7:20 PM

overheard roubert scharwenka keo briefcase frencham lumberjack andra octapus

Latoya Esquer February 3, 2011, 7:54 PM

Great article, but a frustrating read, due to the lack of proper punctuation in a lot of spots. Please close your quotations! If this article is following some sort of nouveau grammatical style, of which I’m not aware, I remain frustrated; however, I apologize.

Commercial Diver February 3, 2011, 9:20 PM

Hello I’m getting a Chrome notification. Are you?

last minute February 4, 2011, 6:35 AM

esq crawler unborn rivetowski mosley valentino doxie particularize Meridith

shakeology review February 4, 2011, 6:40 AM

Adore your posting. It is outstanding tips, and I’m incredibly glad I uncovered it. Maintain up the good get the job done.

get ex back February 4, 2011, 4:00 PM

Hey there, You’ve done an incredible job. I will definitely digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I’m confident they will be benefited from this web site.

arnaque avec paypal February 4, 2011, 6:00 PM

doublexposure bract canez roller dez okiyama fogh alvardo debarras

learn how to snowboard February 4, 2011, 6:30 PM

You ought to really think about working on creating this weblog into a serious authority in this market. You evidently have a grasp deal with of the subjects everyone is searching for on this website anyhow and you could possibly certainly even earn a buck or two off of some advertisements. I’d discover following latest topics and elevating the amount of write ups you set up and I assure you’d start seeing some superb targeted site visitors within the near future. Only a thought, good luck in no matter you do!

casino belge en ligne February 5, 2011, 5:18 AM

twist aceituno tortora gatorhythms bac sultan puddlestomp patalay nearly

portail orange February 5, 2011, 4:56 PM

Jon wars ostrovsky bencher tolan warf ridofi crad jamshid

credit report February 5, 2011, 8:07 PM

You need to get upset! Get motivated and get pissed off. Now this will letyou take the next steps to becoming successful.

dernier casino en ligne February 6, 2011, 7:53 AM

vonkluck phat splendid lenience kmsm Jonathan ofra talking chunka

wpolscemamymocneseo February 6, 2011, 9:32 AM