My Public School Has No Cash!

And I'm mad as hell about it!

empty swings

momlogic's Julie: I went to a school-district meeting last night and found out our school faces a $50.3 million deficit next year. I am outraged!

Yes, I live in California -- a state associated these days with earthquakes and money woes. But I paid a small fortune for my house because it's in a "good" school district -- and now I find out that my school is going to be broke soon.

What does this mean for me and my kids? The district is going to increase class sizes (in kindergarten through third grade) to 30 students per teacher. They will eliminate programs like athletics, music and art.

I am beyond upset! I cannot afford private school, but I am not thrilled with these changes my school is forced to make. I'm afraid of how this will negatively impact my children.

Help! Has your school faced budget cuts? How did you deal with it?

next: Moms Who Murder Their Own Kids
Carolyn February 25, 2010, 10:40 AM

We are in California too and are facing the same cutbacks. It isn’t right. We also live in a really good area and the schools here are award winning. But, the expanding class sizes is ridiculous and is wreaking havoc on the learning capacity. Too many kids to control, teachers are overwhelmed, kids who need extra help don’t get it. Plus, we were told that no kids would be allowed to be held back a grade… even when they clearly are not ready to advance. There is no extra help, they got rid of summer school because of lack of funds. No art programs, no music programs, no theatre or extra curricular programs. We only have physical education because our school happened to get a grant for it. If education is so important to our country’s future, why is education the first line item to be cut in every single budget?

deaddrift February 25, 2010, 10:51 AM

Tax cuts did this to you.

mom February 25, 2010, 11:39 AM

I agree with deaddrift. More precisely, you as CA voters did this to yourself. You guys should take a hard look in the mirror and ask if Prop 13 was worth it. If you want to do something about it, get involved in the campaign to amend CA’s constitution. Also look at how much CA is spending on prisons. I believe it’s more than on education. Is it really right to cut our children’s education so we can feed and house a bunch of nonviolent offenders? Where are our priorities?

Wendi February 25, 2010, 12:09 PM

I live in Arizona and we are struggeling with the same things. My kids’ middle school are using tax donation money to pay for the sports. Other schools have cut that out along with art and music. Our district is horrible and I have no clue how to fix it. We have already had schools actually close and had to merge those kids to other schools. One big thing that is going on here is that a lot of kids are going to Charter schools. If you are lucky to get into a good one, they have some of the best teachers that love their jobs. It is just sad that education is last on the list.

candice February 25, 2010, 7:29 PM

Who cares!!! My boyfriend thinks the same with me. He is eight years older than me, lol. We met online at~ A_g_e_m_i_n_g_l_e.c o m ~a nice and free place for younger women and older men, or older women and younger men, to interact with each other. Maybe you wanna check out or tell your friends.

Anonymous February 25, 2010, 7:31 PM

Back in the 60s/70s teachers had anywhere from 25-30 kids in a class. They mananged to do it without the help of a teacher’s aide/assitant.

Anonymous February 26, 2010, 7:47 AM

They also used to hold parent/teacher conferences during the school day so that they didn’t waste a school off day but not now. My kids have one week in october where they have 1 day off, 2 days they get out 3 1/2 hours early and 2 days they get go in 4 hours late. WTH is with that! It is the biggest waste of a school week ever.

Conner March 2, 2010, 12:38 PM

The keyword here is “Public”. The “Public” is responsible for funding the public school system. However the specific stste chooses to fund the “Public” schools in that state, that funding will come from taxes. Simply put, you cannot have services without the means to pay for them. People complain every moment of every day about the taxes they have to pay, but they want services, whether they be roadway maintenance, regulatory action for public safety, or police and fire services. You cannot have one without the other. If I need to have a new roof put on my home, I must pay. If I want schools to meet the needs of my children I must pay. Taxes then are a necessary evil. Little taxation equals little services. All we talk abouit in this country is cutting taxes, but nothing is ever discussed about how those tax reductions will negatively affect services. This is not rocket science, it is simple logic.