New Moms in Rehab

When the postpartum months create crazy amounts of new stress, some mothers look for liquid relief.

charlie sheen and brooke mueller

Jennifer Ginsberg: Nine months after giving birth to twins, new mother Brooke Mueller reportedly sought treatment for substance abuse at the Two Dreams Outer Banks drug and alcohol rehab center in North Carolina. While no one knows for certain what led to her relapse into alcoholism, there is speculation as to whether or not the stress of being a new mother led her to seek relief in the bottle.

In light of the fact that Mueller has had addiction issues in the past, it is not surprising that her problem flared up again in the postpartum period. Oftentimes the combination of exhaustion, physical discomfort and anxiety is enough to trigger a recovering addict's relapse.

Over the years I have seen many women relapse after giving birth, especially if they are fairly new in their recovery or if they haven't adequately dealt with their issues that contributed to their addiction. Postpartum hormones, fatigue, and stress all play a role. Often it starts as postpartum depression, or maybe their partner isn't supportive or is drinking and using drugs. More moms are now entering treatment to learn how to be sober with a child.

The question is, when a recovering addict experiences something as physically and emotionally challenging as giving birth and becoming a mother, is relapse inevitable?

Many new moms feel stressed, isolated and lonely, because the rules that applied to their lives and careers pre-motherhood are completely irrelevant now. There are no gold stars, promotions or "atta girls," even when they make it through the most challenging of days.

Gone are the times when women gathered together to raise children communally, where mothers naturally helped and supported one another. Now women often find themselves stuck at home alone with young children, and there is a sense of the four walls closing in. It's no surprise that many moms feel an increasing need to "take the edge off."

Moms must learn to derive a sense of purpose and self-worth from their own intuition and personal ethos -- not an easy task in a culture that is obsessed with external validation. Raising small children can be tedious and frustrating, and it has become socially acceptable for women to have a glass of wine to cope with the incessant demands of motherhood. Alcohol has been used as a social and emotional lubricant ever since man crushed grapes; for many people, having a drink at the end of a long day can provide a wonderful sense of relief.

However, there's a dark side to this illusive coin that indicates -- often subtly, but sometimes glaringly -- that mixing motherhood and booze can be detrimental, if not deadly. When someone says they're drinking because they need stress relief, it's a signal to be concerned -- especially if they go to extreme lengths to rationalize their behavior. My experience is that drinking can indeed relieve stress temporarily, but there's is a steep price to pay if you use it to suppress feelings longterm.

sad woman drinking wine

Many moms who struggle with addiction learn to live a double life; they go to extreme lengths to conceal their using. They often present a persona of the "good mother and wife," which only perpetuates their denial and addiction.

They have very clever defenses and rationalizations to shield themselves from their deep sense of shame about using around their children. These moms tell themselves that they are better wives and mothers when they are under the influence; that they are more relaxed and better able to deal with the stress of motherhood. The false image they present to the world mitigates their addiction, even as they spiral out of control. When they aren't under the influence, their anxiety is often off the charts: They find themselves needing more and more of their substances to simply get through the day. Their husbands are usually terrified, but feel helpless and confused because addicts are brilliant liars and manipulators.

The guilt and shame that alcoholic and drug-addicted moms feel is overwhelming. They really believe that they are worthless if they can't even stay sober for their children. But addiction is a ruthless illness that doesn't have any regard for one's family, accomplishments or dreams. It crosses all socioeconomic, ethnic and gender lines. Its only aim is to destroy the addict, often leaving her desperate, isolated or dead.

What alcoholics and addicts gain in recovery is a box of tools which, if used diligently, will support sobriety even in the most difficult of circumstances. They learn how to stay clean through illness, grief, trauma and depression. But matching calamity with sobriety doesn't come easily for most -- and the amount of footwork required to achieve this can feel daunting.

This is why it is critically important that new moms-- especially those with past addiction issues --seek support. Recovering alcoholics must not fall prey to the idea that being a mom will inoculate them against their addiction. They must continue to work on a program of recovery.

May alcoholics and addicts everywhere take pause and remember: Once an addict, always an addict. Stay vigilant about your recovery. And if you are in trouble, get help now.

next: Jon Gosselin and TLC Reach a Settlement
shpija e kosoves January 30, 2011, 4:30 PM

Thanks for this great and informative article. Basically i knew some of the things you told but some are very very

Alvina Surles February 11, 2011, 3:52 AM

There is clearly a bundle to know about this. I feel you made various nice points in features also.

vigrx plus February 15, 2011, 7:43 AM

Thank you for making the honest try to provide an explanation for this. I feel very sturdy about it and want to be informed more. If it’s OK, as you attain extra intensive knowledge, might you mind including more posts similar to this one with additional information? It would be extraordinarily useful and helpful for me and my colleagues.

reseller web hosting india February 17, 2011, 11:01 PM

Strange this put up is totaly unrelated to what I used to be looking google for, however it was once listed at the first page. I guess your doing one thing right if Google likes you enough to position you on the first web page of a non comparable search.

orkiestra weselna February 19, 2011, 2:12 AM

Great article. Unfortunately it’s all ruined by your use of the horrendous phrase

xbox 360 destravado February 22, 2011, 3:08 PM

Hi, i think that i saw you visited my weblog thus i came to “return the favor”.I’m trying to find things to enhance my website!I suppose its ok to use some of your ideas!!

PaydayBeinync February 22, 2011, 10:58 PM

Brittney Jones Sex Tape Xvideos . 3 Dec 2010 Have you heard the name Brittney Jones? Well, she came forward a while ago claiming to have been the mistress. Welcome to a Facebook Page about Brittney Jones. Join Facebook to start connecting with Brittney Jones.
also store:
04 January 2011. Who’s Dated Who? profile for Brittney Jones including biography information, wikipedia facts, photos, galleries, news, youtube videos, quotes, posters . Sextape Of Brittney Jones

PaydayBeinync February 24, 2011, 4:44 AM

Brittney Jones Sex Tape Vivid . 4 Feb 2003 Vivid have announced that despite the legal battles surrounding Britney Jones’ sex tape, ‘Britney Jones Confidential’, 3 Dec 2010 As for what viewers will see on Brittney Jones Confidential, which hits the market on December 14? We’ve posted a quartet of images from
also store:
8 Nov 2010 Ashton Kutcher’s mistress, Brittney Jones struck out in both of her efforts to benefit financially from her brief affair with Ashton. Brittney Jones Complete Sex Tape

inhinkabs February 26, 2011, 4:20 AM

Brittney Jones Sex Tape Gallery . 3 Dec 2010 I’ll admit that when I heard about the Ashton Kutcher/Brittney Jones affair, I thought, Uh oh, another Jesse James scandal. Dedicated To Keeping Junkies Hollywired . Ashton Kutcher is furious over the release of a new sex tape featuring his self-alleged mistress Brittney Jones, claiming the .
also store:
Brittney Jones Reveals Dirty Details Of Affair With Ashton Kutcher: The 21 year-old woman named Brittney Jones, who claims she had a one-night stand with Ashton Kutcher . Brittney Jones Sex Tape Video

inhinkabs February 27, 2011, 4:08 AM

Brittney Jones Sex Tape Tmz . An eclectic mix of pop culture coverage including celebrities, television, reality TV, sports and entertainment. And to close the meet, Brittney Jackson (55.8), Ty-Vonna Johnson (54.3), Kelsey . Summit junior Mark Jones capped a dream season by winning the boys’ high jump .
also store:
20 Dec 2010 The 21-year-old remains Brittney Jones of the Los Angeles still beautiful in their claims that lead the Hollywood stars Demi Moore and See Brittney Jones Sextape

Las Vegas Personal Injury Attorney March 2, 2011, 6:58 AM

Just right issues?I’d word that as any person who really doesn’t write on blogs much (if truth be told, this may be my first post), I don’t think the time period ‘lurker’ may be very changing into to a non-posting reader. It’s now not your fault in the slightest degree , however perhaps the blogosphere may come up with a greater, non-creepy identify for the ninety% people that revel in studying the content .

Divorce Attorney Washington March 3, 2011, 1:25 AM

Excellent points?I’d observe that as someone who actually doesn’t write on blogs much (in fact, this can be my first publish), I don’t suppose the term ‘lurker’ is very becoming to a non-posting reader. It’s now not your fault the least bit , but possibly the blogosphere could come up with a greater, non-creepy name for the 90% people that experience reading the content material .

custom lanyards March 5, 2011, 10:36 AM

I believe that is an interesting point, it made me suppose a bit. Thank you for sparking my pondering cap. Once in a while I am getting such a lot in a rut that I just feel like a record.

trading pins March 5, 2011, 11:29 PM

Hello, I simply hopped over to your web page by the use of StumbleUpon. Now not one thing I’d usually read, however I preferred your emotions none the less. Thank you for making something price reading.

Darla Platko March 13, 2011, 1:48 PM

You’ve made some good thoughts there. I did my own research on the matter and found the majority people will have the same opinion with your site. Thanks again for putting this up. I definitely loved every bit of it.

equipment March 27, 2011, 3:17 PM

These may be some of the funniest comments I have read in a while!

compression stockings April 9, 2011, 5:16 AM

The question is what do we now do with this information?