Pit Bulls Should NOT Be Around Children!

A 5-day-old baby in Georgia was killed by the family pit bull. When will these tragedies stop?

fatal_dogs_270.jpg

The infant's mother found the dog on top of the baby's bassinet after hearing the baby crying. Such a tragedy.

"As she approached the bassinet, she realized that the dog had bitten her daughter," said Sgt. Jodi Shupe of the Rockdale County Sheriff's Office, reports WSBTV.

Surgery was performed on the infant but she later died. No charges are expected to be filed.

The CDC estimates that almost 5 million people a year are bitten by dogs in the United States, with as many as 800,000 people, more than half of them children, requiring medical attention for their dog bites. Many of these cases are fatal, or leave kids disfigured for life.

Here are a few other cases that sent shivers down our spine:

Three-year-old Tony Evans was found dead in front of the doghouse after being attacked by a pit bull. The pit bull was chained to the house, but made its way to the boy.

Five-year-old Pablo Hernandez was mauled to death by the family pit bull in their backyard. He was dragged around the backyard, suffering major damage to his face, head, and torso, and died shortly after from his injuries.

One-year-old Abraham Jonathan Tackett wandered into the neighbor's backyard where several husky mixed breeds were eating. The father found the child as he was being attacked, but could not save him. According to reports, the dog that attacked was protecting his food.

Two-year-old Holden Jernigan was attacked and killed by the family's pit bull. While under his grandmother's care, he wandered into the backyard, where he was brutally attacked.

Six-year-old Sabin Jones-Abbott was attacked by the family's new pit bull/boxer mix as he went to feed it. The boy's father found his lifeless body in their home.

Fifteen-month-old Charlotte Blevins was seriously injured when she and her mom, her mom's friend, and another baby on an afternoon walk were attacked by a pit bull when the dog escaped from its leash.

Two-year-old Amaya Hess had a pit bull latch onto her head with his mouth for five to eight minutes. The claw end of a hammer was used to open the dog's jaw to release her. Amaya's scalp was missing, her right eye torn out of its socket, and her right ear was torn from the side of her head. After nine surgeries and 69 days of medically-induced coma, Amaya is facing years of reconstructive surgery. Doctors estimate she'll have somewhere between 30 to 40 surgeries over her lifetime.

before_surgery_7-18-07.jpg

This just proves to us that these dangerous dogs should NOT be around kids!

We spoke with Colleen Lynn, founder of DogsBite.org, who said some are -- and some aren't. "There are aggressive breeds of dogs, including pit bulls and rottweilers, that I don't think are appropriate to have around children. They don't have a good safety record, and you are definitely taking a chance."

Lynn, who survived a pit bull attack herself a year ago, says even going to someone's house who has a pit bull or a dangerous breed is an unnecessary risk for your children. "These dogs were bred for violence," she says. "It's in their genes. Even if they have good owners, love is not going to take genetics away. Why take the chance, if it could cost your kid his or her life?"

Of course, some dog owners (particularly pit bull owners) disagree. One mother named Elyse posted the following video of her baby Max with her pit bull on YouTube:

Do you think these dogs are dangerous for kids?

next: I'm Worried About My Teen Having Sex
K February 24, 2010, 12:15 PM

The biggest problem here? Why are all these children wandering off or being “found” places once injured? If these children were supervised, this type of things would not occur the way it does.

Carrie February 24, 2010, 12:37 PM

This is prejudicial. ANY dog can hurt, kill or maim a child. Be it a 6lb yorkie or a 70lb pitbull. Small children should not be left around animals PERIOD.

Anonymous February 24, 2010, 12:40 PM

i hate pit bulls, i will never own one and my kids aren’t allowed in a yard or house that has one. no ifs ands or buts.

Raine February 24, 2010, 12:41 PM

No, I don’t think the problem is with the breed of dog, but with the owners/parents. One thing I’ve noticed in working with animals is that the news will often report any dog bite story as “mauled by a pit bull”, even if the dog involved wasn’t a pitt, or even a bulldog breed at all. Another is that the issue is often dogs that are chained/neglected and/or being bred for fighting or to protect drug houses or other criminal activity, which goes hand in hand with neglected children and irresponsible parents. It isn’t fair to blame it on the breed of the dog, but the sad truth is that the “pit bull” has become a sort of status symbol among a certain type of low-class people, so a lot of these attacks will continue to be linked with pitts [just like this same type of thing happened more with Dobermans & Rotties in past generations].

Rather than singling out breeds as safe or unsafe, the focus needs to be on not leaving a baby or young child alone with any dog, regardless of breed. Cocker Spaniels, Chihauhuas, toy poodles, Jack Russell Terriers, Chow Chows, Papillons, Lhasa Apsos, & Pekingese are all very prone to bite, and usually tend to bite small children in the face, but we don’t see calls to ban these cute little dogs or keep them away from children, because they don’t have the scare factor or reputation of the other dogs.

For the record - I have one dog in the house, a German Shepard/Rottweiler mix, and I wouldn’t think of living him alone & unsupervised with the baby - he will be on a leash any time he & the baby are in the same room for at least the first several months, and possibly muzzled if there are any incidences of nipping or snapping. I would do the same with any dog though - some of the worse [albeit non-fatal] bites I’ve sen have come from small dogs or “family dogs” that people assumed were safe - a friend of mine had to have her Golden Retriever put down after it attacked her 11 year old son [he ended up needed reconstructive surgery] - they’d had this dog for several years, and Goldens are usually great with kids.

Cristina February 24, 2010, 1:00 PM

Its not the dog that is dangerous, Its the owner that has to take responsibility and train there dog. Ofcourse a dog chained to his own house is not going to be used to kids or people in general. its the ignorance of assuming your dog will just know whats wrong or right is plain Stupid. Ive always had a dog in my life and most of them being Pitbulls or Mixes of. never once have I been attacked or even growled at. Why? Because we trained them and nurtured them. Pit Bulls are not bread to be dangerous and fight, they are all about family and protecting family. I understand dogs are animals and that is exaactly why you should SUPERVISE your children with them at all times. Who leaves there young child alone?? Also you have to teach your child to be Nice and gentle with animals.
Even now being a mom, I let my 2 year old play with our Boxer/Pitbull mix. and they play just fine.

Its not the dogs fault that Humans are ignorant and dont give a s**t about there dogs to train them.

sam {temptingmama} February 24, 2010, 1:06 PM

Your biased ‘report’ on pit bulls is frankly quite sickening.

I can say so much about this uneducated, fear mongering post but I won’t waste my time because I know it will call on deaf ears.

It’s posts like this that have caused me to un-subscribe to this site in the first place.

Anonymous February 24, 2010, 1:25 PM

This is a load of ignorance. FYI: ALL DOGS ARE DANGEROUS. They’re animals. And so aren’t we. Is there ANYTHING that we can leave small children around that isn’t dangerous aside from Fisher Price toys and the like? Statistically, more Yellow Labs have bitten people than Pitbulls have.

Also, it’s been said before and it will be said again: The majority of these children were *found* dead. Anyone who has been with an infant around the family pet, be it a cat or a dog, has probably seen them play a little too rough with the animals (tugging on their tails/ears too hard, blowing in their faces, hitting them, etc), and we scold them for it.

Seeing as there was no parent to supervise these children, you can’t throw out the possibility that these kids were playing a little too rough with the dogs and eventually the dogs snapped back (I think this is the case, personally.)

Don’t get me wrong, the death of a child is terrible, but saying that Pitbulls should not be kept around children isn’t fair. The list of dog attacks is very biased too, seeing as most of the attacks are primarily from Pitbulls and Pitbull mixes. Go research all the other numerous attacks by other breeds.

Yvonne February 24, 2010, 1:34 PM

I totally agree with Raine.Because these dogs should not be put to blame all because they have such a bad reputaion that had to be built up on them. It all depends on how these animals are raised or if they were too old or came from abused homes. If the owners bought these dogs that were in these kinds of conditions should not be around children. Especially if they are Not pitt bulls. With othern parents that have these fears when they go to tge park or go on to a walk and they see a pit they automatically think that they are going to attack them or their child(dren). All because what they hear in the news that gets them too hyped up on. They really should not judge unless their natural instincts to step back away from the dog. Or, even sometimes a child/adult can provoc the dog to possibly attack them. They are good dogs it’s the owners who are the problem sometimes. Beleive me I know. Because when I was growing up my parents never stopped my brother from bringing home big dogs. The first big dog was a Rott and my brother told my parents that it was “puppy.” When he brought it home, it did not look like no puppy. My parents were not happy at all. He was trying to train this dog to be a guard dog and I think to also to put into fights as well. This dog bit my dads hand and dragged me accross the backyard. But after when my dad was bit they told my brother to get rid of it. He was not happy but this what happens when a dog attacks. Then sometime months later he brought home a pitt pup and then tained her muscles to tone in order for her to look good and also be put into a fight too. When my mom found out she told him not to do that or there will be consequenses. Of course my brother did not listened and attacked my moms Chihauhua and then a yr later my cat was attacked in front of me. So it cannot always be the dog. It can be the owners stupidity that give Pitt Bulls a bad reputation. Hence, my brother who is one of the stupid owners.

Krista February 24, 2010, 2:00 PM

Its the Breed! People that live in a city or town have NO RIGHT to have a dangerous big dog! Big dogs should only be on farms, its not fair for a big dog to have a tiny back yard to rome around in and lack of space could cause it to be angry. If a dog ever bit one of my children I would smash the dogs head in!

yuki February 24, 2010, 2:02 PM

i’ve never been afraid of pitbulls. they’re not my favorite dogs, but i disagree with the amount of fearmongering this article has done.

dogs, as social animals, tend to “learn” their place in their human packs, which is why most dogs tend to be friendly. however, a dog that is not properly socialized is a dog that is more likely to bite out of stress. there is also something to be said about pitbulls, and all breeds of dogs in their genetics.

you hear all about how purebreeds have health issues because of inbreeding? well, think about this for a moment: a person breeds pitbulls for fighting. he will breed the most aggressive dogs together in hopes of breeding a winner. he maybe drowns the friendlier puppies…but maybe, he sells them. the genes controlling aggression for pitbulls are probably on the rise because of dogfighting and idiots who want an “impressive” dog. so these dogs may be all right in home where everyone is bigger and more authoritative than them (ie, adults), but when a child comes into the picture, a dog with poor breeding may snap sooner than a dog without.

it’s not to say that only pitbulls are dangerous around children, though. any dog is capable of injuring or killing a child. smaller dogs are generally less well trained, while larger dogs have a greater capacity to seriously injure a child, but this is why pet owners need to supervise their children, both furry and human.

Katie February 24, 2010, 2:50 PM

Anon - “Statisically - more yellow labs have bitten people than pit bulls have.” I would be interested in seeing where you found THAT info. Come On!

Myra February 24, 2010, 4:11 PM

Really? This story is a load of crap. Every dog, no matter, what the breed id capable of hurting or killing. Dogs will protect their food and their territory the best that they can. Dogs behave the way that they are trained, that is why it is sometimes best to get a dog when they are still a puppy. You never know, how a dogs previous owner treated them. However, kids should never be allowed any dog by themselves.

Pamala February 24, 2010, 7:08 PM

Frankly any dog can kill a small child. It’s part of being a parent to actually pay attention to your child and your dog. Dogs are animals and react like animals. They aren’t little human beings. In all the above incidents, sadly it wasn’t the dogs fault. Dogs should never be left alone with a child, plain and simple.

This is while I’ll never own a dog in general. I don’t care what kind.

Kim February 24, 2010, 8:06 PM

This poor breed is being blamed for what its owners train it to be!! It is true children should NEVER be left unattended with any animal. I have a 2 and 1 year old and a beautiful pitbull mix. He is their best friend wouldn’t hurt them ever. I know this because he had proper training and is a socialized dog. These stories of chained dogs or being food aggressive, these dogs need help but once again it is not their fault. A dog just can’t help itself, it’s the owners fault 100%. Its very sad that these wonderful and loving dogs are getting a bad reputation because of human beings. The public is so miss informed it is disgusting. They talked with the wrong website too! Dogbite.org is crap!! All I can say is I love my dog and I pray one day everyone will see the Pit for what is really is. These dogs use to be “nanny” dogs!! They were respected and loved. Thanks to some dumb people they decided to train them to fight and be mean. Who’s fault is that? They just want to make their owners happy?? This sickens me everytime I hear a horrible story like this. These poor children have to suffer like this.

Karen February 24, 2010, 8:36 PM

While I was pregnant and after having my baby, I got so much information (brochures, printouts, etc.) from my doctor, the nurses at the hospital, prenatal classes, hospital tour visit, books, and magazines. Every single one of them said not to leave children unattended with your pets. It is so sad and heartbreaking that people don’t follow this advice for a couple of reasons… First because young children are put at risk for no reason, and second because animals are blamed for reacting like what they are - animals. Now a 5 day old baby surely can’t antagonize a dog while in its bassinett… that much is a given. My question is why wasn’t the bassinett in a secure area that the dog could not get to? After 5 days you can’t expect any pet to be adjusted to the addition of a newborn… which for animals is definitely a huge adjustment. The article does a terrible job at bringing the real lesson to light… use common sense and be a responsible pet owner, otherwise don’t be a pet owner at all.

selwyn marock February 25, 2010, 12:44 AM

Before I even discuss,we as parents, that would not leave our young children in the kitchen on their own for fear they might switch on the gas oven or the microwave,or climb up onto the sink and fall into the basin.Our swimming pool was always fenced and our young kids were not allowed in unless a responsible adult was present.
Notwithstanding there are irresponsible parents and in the USA there are around 3000 drownings per year many young children.
Should we be Banning swimming,microwave ovens,basins,to the young child these are all Danger areas.
For the record in the year 2008 in the whole USA there were 16 fatalities caused by dogs(all breeds)info from CDC(Canine Disease Centre).
You have mentioned Colleen Lynne of Dogbite Org. this organistion is full of bias and I consider it a Hate Site as only those that beleive in her philosphy of hating pitbulls are permitted to post on her site.
Now lets look at her statement “Some dogs are bred for Violence” yes this so,the savages that are involved in Dogfighting most certainly are behind this enigma.And the very sad position is that pitbulls one of their greatest attributes is pleasing their owners and that is the main reason they are in such demand with this type of Scum.
In finality, Parents must act responsibly and so must Dog-Owners.
smarock10@yahoo.com

Anonymous February 25, 2010, 9:09 AM

It’s unfair how pits are being singled out. What about the Chihuahua who chewed a newborns fingers off? Any dog can be aggressive, my husband was attacked by a golden retriever when he was younger. People need to keep an eye on their pets and kids when they’re around each other.

Concerned Brother February 25, 2010, 10:58 AM

Listen everyone, I have read everyone’s post on here and one thing all of you are forgetting, kids are kids. Yes they are going to be rough with the dog or cat or rabbit or feret or any animal for that matter but, they are KIDS!!!! Remember, when you were a kid. I DO!!!! No kid deserve to lose their life for being a KID!!!!! Animals are not meant to be domesticated period!!!!

Jack Russell February 25, 2010, 10:38 PM

I agree that it’s not safe to leave ANY dog unattended with a child under the of five. I regularly tell people and mention several times on my site that they should not have a Jack Russell with children under five or six years old. HOWEVER - the statistics don’t lie. The percentage of fatal dog attacks by pitbulls compared to the number of pitbulls in the population is absolutely staggering. So I can’t stomach the apologists who say “but what about all these other dogs…” Yes, other breeds do attack people. But pit bulls are responsible for far more deaths than any other breed, period. Now, is that their fault? No, it’s the fault of breeders who still breed for fighting traits, and irresponsible owners. But trying to pretend there’s not a problem is equally irresponsible.

Cristina February 26, 2010, 1:13 PM

its not just the dogs fault. its the parents who dont train or SUPERVISE their own dang children.
and kids who dont know the proper way to handle a dog.

if your going to get a dog, you have to be responsible in all ways. not just feeding them.
its not the dogs fault. its yours!