Super Soakers and Black History Month

Do your kids like peanut butter and super soakers? Thank historic Black Americans.

Kimberly Seals Allers: It's Black History Month -- a special time to teach our kids about all the contributions African-Americans have made to society. And if you thought there weren't many kid-friendly Black history facts, think again. Momlogic and MochaManual.com teamed up to bring you these great Black history facts for every kid.

10 Fun Facts about Black History to Teach Your Kids

1: Peanut Butter

Love peanut butter? Peanut butter was invented by a Black man, George Washington Carver (1864-1943), who discovered 400 uses for peanuts, soybeans, sweet potatoes, and pecans. In the process, he transformed lunchtime sandwiches forever.

2: The Real McCoy: Summertime Fun in the Sprinkler

The next time you're running through the sprinkler, remember that it was invented by Elijah McCoy (1843-1929). Ever heard the expression "the real McCoy"? It comes from another invention by McCoy that allowed trains and other machines to be lubricated while running. When many imitations showed up, people insisted on the real McCoy.

3: Stoplight Trivia

The next time you're waiting at a red light, tell the kiddies it was invented by Garrett Morgan (1877-1963). Morgan's other invention, the gas mask, also saves lives. Many soldiers survived the First World War thanks to the gas mask, which prevented deadly mustard gas from entering their lungs.

4: What Helps Doctors in Haiti

A lifesaving discovery. While researching blood transfusions, Dr. Charles Richard Drew (1904-1950) realized that blood, like other liquids, could be preserved. His method, now known as blood banking, revolutionized medicine and changed the way doctors work in remote areas or during times of war. Dr. Drew went on to form the Red Cross Blood Bank.

5: Powering Computers and Hearts

There's a lot of Black history inside your television. Otis Boykin (1920-1982) created over 28 different electronic devices, including electrical resistors that are used in home computers, television sets, radios, and guided missiles. He also invented the pacemaker.

6: The World-Famous Super Soaker

Sure, he's an aerospace engineer, but Lonnie G. Johnson (born 1949) is best known for creating the world-famous Super Soaker water gun, which has earned more than $200 million in sales. Perhaps you've contributed to that number every summer. When he's not adding to summertime fun, Johnson spends most of his time inventing mechanical and electrical systems for NASA rockets, and has earned more than 40 patents for his work.

7: Music

Kids love music. What better way to teach Black history than by introducing some of the great African-American music legends? Louis "Satchmo" Armstrong (1900-1971) was one of the most influential artists of all time. He transformed jazz into an art form, and his trumpet style is still imitated today. His two international hits, "Hello Dolly" and "What a Wonderful World," are still often heard today.

8: Jackie Robinson

Tell your baseball buffs about Jackie Robinson (1919-1972), the first Black player in Major League Baseball. Robinson didn't have it easy, often getting bottles and insults hurled his way, but he became Rookie of the Year, and in his second season, League MVP.

9: Harriet Tubman and the Underground Railroad

A woman called Moses? You bet. Harriet Tubman (1820-1913) was born a slave but later escaped to Philadelphia, only to return to Maryland to rescue her family. But she didn't stop there. She earned the name Moses because she risked her life traveling at night helping hundreds of Southern slaves escape to the north and Canada through a network of safe people and safe houses called the Underground Railroad.

10: Thurgood Marshall and School Desegregation

Thurgood Marshall (1908-1993) is a must-know figure in Black history. He was the first African-American to serve on the U.S. Supreme Court. But as a kid, he was mischievous, and was once forced to write copies of the Constitution as punishment for his misbehavior. He later said that punishment piqued his interest in the Constitution. As a young adult, he applied to his hometown law school at the University of Maryland, but was denied entrance because of being Black. He later sued the school and won. And before he became a judge, he was a successful attorney who, most famously, won the landmark Brown vs. Board of Education case, which ended school segregation.

next: Kids and Sexy TV
Chrissy Compiseno February 23, 2011, 1:05 PM

It is unusual on behalf of me to get something on the online that’s as entertaining and Intriguing as what you’ve arrived. Your page is sweet, your graphics are outstanding, and what’s a lot of, you utilize source that are relevant to what you are saying. you’re definitely one in an exceedingly million, good job

Frank Skay February 25, 2011, 12:16 AM

These quite post are continuously inspiring and that I prefer to scan quality content thus I happy to seek out several smart point here in the post, writing is solely nice, thanks for the post

Rickey Stepter February 25, 2011, 4:16 AM

as I website owner i feel the written content here is rattling wonderful, regards for your efforts.

Asha Heilmann February 25, 2011, 1:03 PM

I am glad i was able to notice your submit I actually admire the knowledge Would you thoughts really if I position a 1 way link from my internet website ?

Rueben Dallmier February 26, 2011, 2:39 AM

Please tell me that youre going to keep this up Its thus good and therefore necessary. I cant wait to scan way more from you. I simply really feel like you apprehend therefore substantially and acumen to make individuals hear what you might got to say. This weblog is simply furthermore cool to be missed. Terrific things, seriously. Please, PLEASE keep it up

Jeffrey Lehnhoff February 26, 2011, 6:02 AM

Hello, a helpful read buddy. Thanks but I’m having downside with ur rss feed. Unable to subscribe to it. therefore anybody else having identical rss feed issue? Anyone who will facilitate kindly respond. Thanks beforehand

Gretchen Severson February 26, 2011, 9:41 AM

The cyberspace is full of miscellaneous and educational words. however this text means over all I’ve managed to seeso far.

Marion Traugott February 26, 2011, 12:08 PM

I was been scouring the websites for this data and I needed to thank you for this post.

Clarinda Chmiel February 26, 2011, 2:42 PM

can I place up your put up to my wordpress weblog? I will be able to add a oneway link to your forum. That’s one really nice post.

Jacelyn Lapadula February 27, 2011, 2:53 AM

Are u making an attempt to seek out the very best food stuff of the globe Get a subway menu immediately

strony wrocław February 27, 2011, 5:41 AM

Nice and very informative post. Your opinion is more or less the same as main. Thanks!

Chad Onsurez February 27, 2011, 8:50 AM

These quite post are perpetually inspiring and that I like better to read quality content so I happy to seek out several smart point here within the post, writing is simply great, thanks for the post

Kemberly Monas February 27, 2011, 12:22 PM

I am having a weird drawback I cannot seem to be able to subscribe to your RSS feed. i’m using google reader FYI.

Roxane Renick February 28, 2011, 3:25 PM

How is it that simply anybody can write a website and obtain as well-liked as this? Its not like youve said anything incredibly spectacular –more like youve painted a fairly image over a difficulty that you apprehend nothing about I don’t want to sound mean, here. but do you extremely suppose that you just will depart with adding some pretty footage and not really say anything?

Kirby Lisa March 1, 2011, 2:44 AM

I provide a service as a chosen driver. Im in Sonoma Valley, and will offer wine touring service in the customers vehicle. I even have been doing this for over five years and have many referrals and repeat customers. (much cheaper and much of customized knowledge of the wine country) just e-mail me at valet_driver @ yahoo.com and that we go from there. Thanks

Angle Vanderpool March 1, 2011, 8:06 AM

Hey i am making an attempt to read your post from my iphone however the words within the post are covered by the sidebar boxes. is that this web site iphone compatible?

Necole Faulhaber March 1, 2011, 3:45 PM

Great post I accept as true with your leading points and think the title says it all, I enjoyed reading and I will surely come from time to time to read a lot of of your writing. sustain the nice work

Katrina Duceman March 1, 2011, 5:56 PM

Great tips I’ll attempt it undoubtedly thanks for sharing this

William Hao March 2, 2011, 7:10 PM

Cool be looking out for updates. cheers

Terese Weikel March 2, 2011, 9:39 PM

It is uncommon on behalf of me to get something on the web that’s as entertaining and Intriguing as what you’ve got here. Your page is nice, your graphics are outstanding, and what’s a lot of, you utilize supply that are relevant to what you are saying. you are certainly one during a million, good job