Save a Life from Suicide

Andrew Koenig's grief-stricken parents made a heartwrenching plea for people to extend a hand to family members and friends who may be suffering from depression. Do you know the signs?

The body of Koenig -- who played "Boner" on the '80s sitcom "Growing Pains" -- was found in Stanley Park in Vancouver on Thursday, after he had been missing for a week. His family said he had been suffering from severe depression, and in the last few days of his life it was clear he was in distress.

According to the World Health Organization

• Depression is the second most common childhood mental-health problem.
• One in 33 kids is depressed.
• The number of kids diagnosed with the disorder could double by the year 2020.

Scary, huh?

Many parents don't seek help because they fear their kids will be stamped with the "mentally ill" label, while other parents dismiss their child's behavior as "just a phase." How can you tell the difference between someone who is moody and one who has a mental disorder?

Dr. Wendy Walsh
says that if one or more of these signs of depression persist, you should seek help for your loved one:

• Frequent sadness, tearfulness, crying
  • Decreased interest in activities, or an inability to enjoy previously favorite activities
  • Hopelessness
  • Persistent boredom, low energy
  • Social isolation, poor communication
  • Low self-esteem, guilt
  • Extreme sensitivity to rejection or failure
  • Increased irritability, anger or hostility
  • Difficulty with relationships
  • Frequent complaints of physical illnesses such as headaches and stomachaches
  • Frequent absences from school, or poor performance in school
  • Poor concentration
  • A major change in eating and/or sleeping patterns
  • Talk of or efforts to run away from home
  • Thoughts or expressions of suicide or self-destructive behavior

As for children, Dr. Walsh says that a depressed child -- who formerly played often with friends -- may now spend most of the time alone and without interests. Things that were once fun now bring little joy to the depressed child. Children and adolescents who are depressed may say they want to be dead, or may talk about suicide. Depressed adolescents may abuse alcohol or other drugs as a way of trying to feel better.

The fact is, depressed children and adolescents are also at increased risk for committing suicide. But the good news is that depression is treatable. But the first step is reaching out a hand. Our hearts go out to the Koenig family and to all those who have lost loved ones to this devastating illness.

next: Pacific Under Tsunami Threat After Massive 8.8 Quake Strikes Chile
phone 4g March 21, 2011, 3:44 PM

Is that true? I’ll spread this information. Anyway, nice article

microwave ovens March 21, 2011, 5:58 PM

thanks for this news! do you care if i share this?

Benz Forums March 21, 2011, 9:21 PM

Grand poteau ! Merci pour prendre le temps d’écrire quelque chose qui est réellement en valeur la lecture. Trop souvent je trouve l’information inutile et pas quelque chose qui sont réellement appropriées. Merci pour votre dur labeur.

the wealthy affiliate scam March 22, 2011, 12:03 AM

Just killing some time on Stumbleupon and I found your entry. Not normally what I like to learn about, but it was absolutely worth my time. Thanks.

review March 22, 2011, 5:14 AM

making time and real effort to make a quality article. Cool!

credit March 22, 2011, 7:54 AM

An interesting dialogue is value comment. I think that you must write extra on this topic, it won’t be a taboo topic however typically persons are not sufficient to speak on such topics. To the next. Cheers

forum ereader March 22, 2011, 9:12 AM

I think I will change to this blogengine system as it is a lot nicer than mine.

forum fitness March 22, 2011, 10:14 AM

Aw, this was a really quality post.

hcg diet March 22, 2011, 11:31 AM

What is the easiest way for me to save this entry for future reference? Possibly there is a straightforward way than just copy/pasting the actual wording into a document?

Todd Burner March 22, 2011, 4:00 PM

Strange this post is totaly unrelated to what I was searching google for, but it was listed on the first page. I guess your doing something right if Google likes you enough to put you on the first page of a non related search. :)

herr March 22, 2011, 6:45 PM

See, its great to finally see somebody applying some reasonable logic to this. Thanks.

we buy houses cumming March 22, 2011, 8:25 PM

Hey there just wanted to give you a brief heads up and let you know a few of the pictures aren’t loading properly. I’m not sure why but I think its a linking issue. I’ve tried it in two different internet browsers and both show the same outcome.

Air Jordan 9 powder blue March 23, 2011, 12:08 AM

I palm off on you all good daytime, this spot is absolutely nice I would often carry on this site. Stop me a piles of timedata would be btained from this placement, or wish to. But I scarcity you to know that this site is really high-minded Thanks a destiny instead of the breed of perfect question hither this topic.

bad credit for car loans March 23, 2011, 3:51 AM

I am writing a paper on romoba vacuum cleaners and I found this article to become extremely valuable and informative. Thank you.

expert credit March 23, 2011, 8:33 AM

Thanks for putting it. I am certainly going to look for a copy.

tourism forums March 23, 2011, 12:31 PM

Quite good post, the article gave a lot of information. Thank you

review March 23, 2011, 2:50 PM

There are some attention-grabbing time limits in this article however I don’t know if I see all of them heart to heart. There may be some validity but I’ll take hold opinion until I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we wish extra! Added to FeedBurner as well

financial March 23, 2011, 5:12 PM

I am writing a paper on romoba vacuum cleaners and I found this post to be very helpful and informative. Thank you.

Jobs Finder March 23, 2011, 6:23 PM

Hey compañero, realmente tenido gusto este poste. Can’ t parece conseguirlo para dar formato a la derecha en Internet Explorer, se dobla todo para arriba, pero no trabaja muy bien en Firefox tan ninguna preocupación.

Mercedes Forums March 23, 2011, 7:04 PM

Hey we was just viewing your website on my Samsung Phone and I was wondering how well it will work on the new ipad thats coming out. Fleeting thought…. Anyway thanks!