OMG! 11-Year-Old Girl Gives Birth

More and more babies are having babies.

11 year old gives birth

An 11-year-old girl in the Northeast recently gave birth to a baby boy. ELEVEN. YEARS. OLD.

"My daughter and (her) baby are fine, and the baby is absolutely beautiful," the mother of the 11-year-old girl told FOX News. The girl and her family are not being named in order to protect their privacy.

Dr. Manny Alvarez, managing health editor of FOXNews.com, says the girl's age places her in significant danger.

"Her body is clearly not defined for pregnancy with its short stature," Al-Khan said. "Her chest is not extensively developed for breast tissue, her bones aren't quite fused, and once you expose a child this young to high amounts of progesterone and especially estrogen, there is (a possibility) that it could halt her growth."

Other medical challenges facing a pregnant girl as young as 10 or 11 include:

- The pelvis is not defined for natural childbirth

- The vagina could sustain injury during a natural birth

- The patient is at high risk for preeclampsia, a pregnancy condition marked by high blood pressure and protein in the urine, and which can lead to convulsions and multi-system organ failure

- A higher risk of pre-term labor and delivery, which would mean the baby's size would be compromised, leaving the baby at risk for developmental issues, fetal growth restriction and chromosomal abnormalities

- Higher incidence of stillbirth

- Higher incidence of cholestasis of pregnancy, a condition caused by the blockage of bile, which can lead to stillbirth and placenta issues

- A chance of developing fatty liver, which can be fatal

Last week, we told you about the 9-year-old who gave birth in China.

What is up with all these babies having babies? More and more girls these days are experiencing precocious puberty, which means they can get pregnant earlier.

"Most often, children who develop signs of puberty before the normal age have no definable cause," says Andrew B. Muir, MD, a pediatric endocrinology specialist and one of the leading experts in the field of precocious puberty. "Occasionally, children will be unwittingly exposed to hormones in the environment that cause early puberty. An example is shampoos that contain placental extract. A report in the New England Journal of Medicine in February 2007 suggested tea tree oil and lavender in skin care products could cause breast development in boys. Transient ovarian cysts, low thyroid hormone levels, and a variety of different types of tumors are more common causes of precocious puberty."

This story just makes us want to lock up our tween daughters and never let them out of our sight. We know how hard and all-consuming it is to be a mother in our 20s, 30s, and 40s -- we couldn't even begin to imagine doing it at 11 years old. Wow.

thomas beatie

More Shocking Births

next: 12-Year-Old Girl Handcuffed for Doodling on Desk
littlemetg February 5, 2010, 1:53 PM

What about the shocking fact that these young girls are being raped? Anyone?!!!

tennmom February 5, 2010, 2:34 PM

I am hearing you, littlemetg. These girss were either raped or their parents seriously neglecting their parental duties to look after those children.
I was 5’3” at 10 years old and had my first period 5 months after I turned 10. I only grew 4 inches taller as I got older. I was in a C cup bra by the time I was 12.
My 12 year old was 5’4” at 10, and also had her first period at 10. She’s now 5’7”, weighs about 120 pounds, wears a DD bra.
My 10 year old is tall for her age & just now needing a “training” bra.
Any girl can get pregnant after she starts having periods. Some of us physically mature earlier than others.
It is important for us, as parents, to prepare our children so they understand the changes in their bodies. Parents in some countries don’t.

lori February 5, 2010, 2:41 PM

It’s one thing to say that these girls are being raped, in a lot of the cases I’m sure it’s true, this website is quite naive for not saying anything about that. Another thing to keep in mind is that children (note CHILDREN) are beginning to experiment with sex at very early ages. They’re confused and they don’t know the facts about their developing bodies. Moms can’t rely on the education system to give their children information about sex until the child has grown well into their teens. The earlier we talk to our children about their bodies the safer, and more comfortable, they will be.

Heather February 5, 2010, 3:11 PM

What about the fact that this 11 year olds parents actually let her have the baby? How is that good parenting? There is NO WAY that an 11 year old girl can raise a baby.

Rachelle February 5, 2010, 3:45 PM

My problem with this story is that there is absolutely no information beyond, an 11-year-old gave birth to a baby. It’s informative as far as a warning for parents to watch their children, but I want to know what actually happened. Until then, one can only speculate.The parents may have kept the baby, and plan to raise it themselves. I’d like to know where they were when this happened? Where was the girls father? What part did he have to play in this? Unless this was on the local news in someone’s town, we’re left having to search for the story ourselves.

Sara February 5, 2010, 6:10 PM

My mother taught at a school for pregnant and parenting girls. She got a sixth grader about once or twice a year and got a fifth grader once. The girls were almost always pregnant because of abuse (either current or past) or a MUCH (like 20) older boyfriend that their parents knew about. No normal eleven year old experiments with sex. It’s a reaction to abuse.

Anna February 7, 2010, 3:42 AM

Heather, how do you know what they are going to do with the baby? They could raise it themselves, put it up for adoption. Just because they didn’t abort does not mean they just left it up to the 11 year old child to raise the infant. Chances are they will raise them like siblings, that is what I would do. I hate it when pro-choicers spew ignorent nonsense like that.

Leah February 8, 2010, 10:16 AM

Anna -that is so IGNORANT and NONSENSICAL to even conceive that it would healthy - emotionally, mentally, or physically for an 11 year CHILD to go through pregnancy and childbirth - regardless if the baby was adopted or raised by the 11 year. And just down right sick to raise them as SIBLINGS. I hate when uninformed anti-choicers spew self-important, unrealistic and DANGEROUS ideas like that.

Chrissy February 8, 2010, 8:29 PM

I’m guessing that the parents (and most likely the girl) didn’t know she was pregnant until she was late in her pregnancy.
Weight gain, irregualr periods are all part of puberty.
But if the parents knew early on and STILL risked the health and life of their daughter by having her go thru with the pregnancy, that’s a different story.

Amaria February 23, 2010, 1:17 PM

this is crazy!!! nd very awsome because an eleven year old girl had a baby i am certainly not going to have a baby though never at eleven 8)

mychal May 17, 2010, 2:45 PM

who is on their prond

cheapviagra3635 August 30, 2010, 11:04 AM
Online Banking Saftey October 17, 2010, 11:23 PM

That was a different thought track. I love your style that you put into your work. Please do move forward with more like this.

Karoline Ingalsbe October 24, 2010, 5:13 PM

is an unmistakable method to generate more types of.

Rigoberto Just October 25, 2010, 12:14 AM

My friend and I had been just discussing this specific subject, jane is constantly seeking to prove me incorrect! I will show her this blog post and rub it in a little!

Corine Mcnitt October 25, 2010, 7:36 PM

My mum and I would like to develop a blogging site much like this for our internet site, I stumbled across your blog trying to find ideas on the theme and design. I am taking some html coding course while attending college however, not certain that I would have the capacity to develop a blog like this one just yet. Did you code this website your self or use a qualified?

Clair Mautone October 26, 2010, 7:46 PM

My brother and I were just discussing your very topic, he’s normally trying to prove me completely wrong. Your own view on this is perfect and just how I feel. I recently e mailed my brother this site to show him your own view. Immediately after overlooking your blog I book-marked and will be coming back to read your updates!

naklejki na sciane October 26, 2010, 11:00 PM

naklejki ścienne to wspaniałe dekoracje do mieszkania naklejki na ściany ornamenty architektura naklejki scienne

Terrilyn Vicsik October 27, 2010, 3:00 PM

My mate and I had been just discussing this particular topic, she is normally seeking to prove me wrong! I am about to show her this post and additionally rub it in a little!

Willodean Ellenbecker October 30, 2010, 5:00 PM

I’m still not sure that flunkies understand , but hopefully that will come in time.