The Obama Girls Don't Watch TV

There's one simple thing you can do to help your kids learn -- forbid them from watching television on school nights. The President does!

the obama family

Malia and Sasha Obama "Don't watch TV during the week. Period" President Barack Obama told Essence magazine. "The first thing the girls do after school is homework. If they haven't finished by dinnertime, around 6:30 PM, they pick up where they left off after the meal. And after that, they can read until they hit the sack. Malia's bedtime is 9 PM; Sasha's lights go out a half hour earlier, the President said.

What's baffling is, that according to a report from the Kaiser Family Foundation, children between the ages of 8 and 18 spend approximately seven hours each day on either the computer, watching television or texting -- seven hours!?

If kids are in school all day, where do they find the time to text message seven hours a day? Obama's got it right -- school, homework, dinner, reading, bed. Period.

next: Foreclosure Papers Filed on Anthonys' Home
Suburbangranola February 25, 2010, 4:22 PM

Why would they have to spend so much time on homework? Haven’t they been in school ALL day.? Whatever happened to family time?

Joya February 25, 2010, 7:26 PM

Who cares!!! My boyfriend thinks the same with me. He is eight years older than me, lol. We met online at~ A_g_e_m_i_n_g_l_e.c o m ~a nice and free place for younger women and older men, or older women and younger men, to interact with each other. Maybe you wanna check out or tell your friends.

tennmom February 25, 2010, 8:35 PM

Kaiser either made a mistake or has been mis-quoted in this article. My daughters are in school from 8-3:15. Seven hours would mean they wouldn’t be in bed until 10. 8 o’clock is our normal jammies/teeth brushing/face washing time, followed by tuck-into-bed-time.
I do give them 30 minutes of free time after school to unwind, have a snack.
After homework and dinner, if it isn’t bedtime, I do let them watch t.v. or play on the computer.

Renae February 25, 2010, 8:54 PM

I think it’s admirable and appropriate, but not always realistic. We don’t watch a lot of TV in our house, but I’m not going to prohibit it. There’s just not enough time most days to even turn it on. I mean, with school, homework, sports, piano, fun, family and friends….who has time for TV!?!

littlemetg February 25, 2010, 8:57 PM

My kids (ages ranging from 7, 12 & 14) do not watch TV on school days. They do homework first then play outside, work on puzzles, read, text friends, play on computer whatever. All still supervised (older kids get supervised from a distance! LOL).

Some nights we make exceptions like for the Olympics & let them watch tv for a bit but we’ve done this for so long that they don’t even ask if they can watch TV. On the flip side, when I noticed that one of my kids spent too much time on homework it indicated a problem. So I had to talk to his teacher.

I think the Obama’s got it right. Good for them.

Dianne72 March 4, 2010, 5:09 PM

The ghetto fabulous Michelle Shaniqua Obama needs to addess Malia’s weight. She has become quite chubby during her time in the White House.

Bella March 5, 2010, 7:23 PM

Yes, it is OK for mi, as a mom I can tell, mi kids watch TV only 30 minutes during week days if they have time. I have great kids and super students.