Reporter Battles Triple Negative Breast Cancer

40-year-old Jennifer Griffin has Stage 3 breast cancer.

FOX News correspondent Jennifer Griffin, mom of three, has covered many wars. Now she's waging her own war against triple negative breast cancer.

Ten percent of breast cancers are what doctors call triple negative, meaning that victims lack three types of receptors that allow other women with breast cancer to be treated with targeted hormonal therapies. Chemo is the only line of defense for women who are triple negative.

Griffin says her daughters were upset that she would be losing her hair. To ease their fears, she wears wigs "like Hannah Montana" and says she never leaves the house without lipstick.

She was on the "Today" show this morning to share her story:

next: Designer Alexander McQueen Commits Suicide
Bea February 12, 2010, 2:07 AM

Breast cancer survival rates are among the highest of all cancers. Studies shown that women who exercise for atleast 30 minutes and 4 times a week can decrease the risk of having breast cancer.

Breast Cancer Alternative Treatments February 12, 2010, 3:25 AM

Great information. Thanks for sharing.

SusanW April 16, 2010, 11:26 AM

Jennifer,
I wish you the best of luck in your treatments, and know that you will be successful! I also had triple negative breast cancer diagnosed in the end of 2009, had surgery, chemo and radiation. I’m so glad that you are bringing national media attention to this type of cancer. It is not rare and no targeted treatment exists. Targeted continual funding for research, with the end goal of finding a curative medicine, is needed for tackling an aggressive, basal-type cancer, such as Triple Negative.
One look at the small number of citations for TNBC in the oncology literature will demonstrate the limited amount of research on this type of cancer.

Thanks again for publicizing about Triple Negative Breast Cancer.
We are warriors in the fight against TNBC and will win.

SWJ

Ava May 8, 2010, 9:42 PM

I was diagnosed with Stage IIB triple negative breast cancer in September 2007. As little research has been done on this type of cancer, I chose not to proceed with a chemotherapy as it increases the 5 year survival rate by only 2-7%. Chemotherapy has a 10% chance of permanent “Brain Fog”. I suggest all breast cancer patients research their options very carefully. I did like the treatment reviews of Dr. Ralph Moss and so did my husband who is also a physician.

Best wishes to you Jennifer for a full recovery!!

Tia June 24, 2010, 5:44 AM

My Granny was diagnosed with this disease in 2006. She was treated initially with chemo & radiation. It has been in remission the last 2 years and has now come back like a bad fungus. It has spread to her bone & lung. The only option she’s been given is chemo, which @ 76, she has refused (I understand, totally). This appears to be the worse form of breast cancer and all we can do at this point is spend as much time with her as we can & learn as much as we can from her. This cancer needs more attention & it’s only through people like Jennifer & my family that it will get the attn it deserves.

Dawn August 10, 2010, 8:14 AM

I too was diagnosed with Triple negative breast cancer in Oct. 2009. Had bilateral mastectomy and decided against chemo therapy in January because no lymph node involvement and margins were clear. They told me this was an aggressive form of breast cancer and lo and behold 5 months later it returned in the exact same location. Now I am doing the chemo therapy and wished I had done so first time around. It really is manageable these days. I have not had any bad side effects except of course the hair loss but it does grow back. Good luck to anyone going thru this….

Elizabeth March 30, 2011, 2:53 PM

My mother had gone through the same thing 3 years ago. I had looked up all the side affects and the have stuck by her through it all. I found a great place to find wigs online and she was so happy.