Journal Retracts Autism Vaccine Link Study

A medical journal says it was wrong, but many are still not convinced.

boy getting vaccine

Today, the medical journal Lancet fully retracted their 1998 study linking the MMR vaccine to autism, citing "incorrect" elements of research.

Ten of the study's 13 authors renounced the study's conclusions, and The Lancet has previously said it should never have published the research.

A disciplinary panel of Britain's General Medical Council (GMC) ruled that study author Dr. Andrew Wakefield had presented his research in an "irresponsible and dishonest" way, and shown a "callous disregard" for the suffering of the children he studied. Subsequent studies have found no proof that the vaccine is connected to autism, though some parents are still wary of the shot. In addition, it has been revealed that Wakefield had been taking money from a lawyer suing vaccine makers.

Despite Lancet's retraction, many still firmly believe that vaccines cause autism. For years, moms have squared off on this very controversial topic.

Jenny McCarthy, whose son is autistic, has no doubt that vaccines caused her son's condition. She says, "We're not treating autism, we're treating vaccine injury." Of the vaccines, she says: "Take the crap out. Get rid of the ether, the antifreeze, the mercury, the aluminum. They're just cheap preservatives. I'd pay four times as much for a clean vaccine!"

Amanda Peet, a spokeswoman for vaccine advocacy group Every Child by Two, once referred to parents who choose not to vaccinate their children as "parasites" in an interview. She says: "The interesting thing to me about the Hollywood community is that it embraces the scientific evidence for global warming and climate change, but ignores the scientific data showing no link between vaccines and autism."

Pediatrician Dr. Cara Natterson, author of Dangerous or Safe, says: "There has been no thimerosal in vaccines (except flu vaccines) for more than eight years, and the incidence of autism seems to be steadily climbing. Now it is also possible that the definition of autism is changing, and the number of kids who actually have autism isn't really going up, but it's clearly not going down either. If mercury preservative were to blame, then the cohort of kids born since 2001 should have significantly lower rates of autism, and they don't appear to."

Do you think vaccines cause autism? Does this new retraction change YOUR mind?

next: Groundhog Day: Phil Sees Shadow, Predicts 6 More Weeks of Winter
Me February 2, 2010, 11:02 AM

Wasn’t worried about vaccines anyway…

angie February 2, 2010, 1:00 PM

This topic will forever be fought over- I am not one FOR vaccines of all kinds. I am not for injecting my child with not only mercury but all the other horrible junk used in the preserving etc. We are so again Meth that has many known junky ingredients but have people looked what are the ingredients in vaccines? Come on.

What I find funny is how the “autism rate has not changed since taking thermerisol out of vaccines- all but the flu vaccine.” Hello, how many kids get that joke for a defense against the flu? Kids over 6 months-18 years are told to get the flu shot but yet oh, all children’s vaccines have mercury removed. A real true statement…..

Besides, it is not just the mercury that causes problems.

Anna February 2, 2010, 2:56 PM

There is no evidence whatsoever of ANY link between these vaccines and autism. Yet the diseases these vaccines prevent still kill thousands of children every year in countries too poor to afford the medicine we take for granted. We should be ashamed of ourselves.

C February 2, 2010, 6:33 PM

Better to get the vaccine even if it does have a (very very) low dose of mercury than to get measles or another life-threatening disease. How many people are unwilling to vaccinate their kids but will give them ibuprofen for fever? Which is safer? The news is more interesting than actual scientific studies.

MarriedMomOf2BeautifulGirls February 3, 2010, 11:35 AM

My daughter has been having health issues and was diagnosed with ADHD.We have not medicated her due to the fact that she is only 5….however now they want us to test her for Autism and I’m really begining to wonder if the link between the two are true.I know that Dr’s seem to be quick to label our kids and put them on med’s {we refuse to because of her age and we don’t know 100% what is wrong and this is our choice I know other choose what fits their life better} but since the age of 2 there has been issues and she’s now 5.I have been researching this to death and more and more I see that people are questioning the link between the two and I’m not ruling out that this may be a posiblity!

Fashion Design October 12, 2010, 5:06 PM

Seriously great entry to read on..
I am truly intrigued with this guide. Searching forward for a lot more info.

hellos January 20, 2011, 12:39 AM

Character is everything, so we pauperism to ensure that there are values on what we are sharing to book our subscribers involved. Effort them harassed is one feeling we must line do!
love stories

helosesi January 20, 2011, 12:40 AM

This is a really neat have for me, Must allow that you are one of the superfine blogger I e’er saw.Thanks for bill this advisory article.
short love stories

Tiffaney Carmichel January 23, 2011, 6:56 PM

I genuinely appreciate your work.

charle March 14, 2011, 10:56 AM

I would like to thank you for the efforts you’ve got made in writing this post. I am hoping the exact same very best function from you in the long run as well. Actually your inventive writing abilities has inspired me to start my own BlogEngine weblog now.

Paige Dierking March 29, 2011, 6:26 PM

Hello.This post was really interesting, especially because I was investigating for thoughts on this issue last Saturday.

Jewel Yanchik March 30, 2011, 6:07 AM

As a Newbie, I am constantly exploring online for articles that can be of assistance to me. Thank you

Sherrill Sharlin April 6, 2011, 8:33 AM

Keep functioning ,remarkable job!

Puss May 21, 2011, 2:15 PM

You’re a real deep thinker. Thanks for sharnig.

Jennabel May 22, 2011, 10:00 AM

HHIS I shulod have thought of that!