Who Cheats? Docs and Stay at Home Moms!

Ever wonder what professions top the list as the most guilty of infidelity? We were shocked by the answer!

Doctor and Teacher

AshleyMadison.com, the dating site for married people (yes, you heard right), surveyed all of their new members last year. Of the 1.9 million folks who signed up to cheat, er, date in 2009, these were the top professions:

For Women:
1. Teachers
2. Stay-at-home Moms
3. Nurses
4. Administrative Assistants
5. Real Estate Agents

For Men:
1. Physicians
2. Police Officers
3. Lawyers
4. Real Estate Agents
5. Engineers

The president and founder of AshleyMadison.com Noel Biderman notes these top professions are often high stress and require many to work long hours.

For his book "The Problem with Women ... is Men," author Charles Orlando interviewed 1,200-plus women and 400+ men and discovered women cheat mostly for emotional reasons, while men admitted to cheating largely for physical or sexual gratification with no emotional tie. And the men who were perceived themselves as "powerful" or "influential" (like doctors, cops and lawyers), say their cheating was "justifiable." Huh?

next: 6 Kid's Book Authors Who Didn't Pop Out Kids
Random Thoughts of a Jersey Mom February 26, 2010, 1:14 PM

I am a stay-at-home mom and my husband is a doctor. Hmmm… doesn’t look good for us does it? But at least I know I am not the cheating type.

Me February 26, 2010, 6:32 PM

As a stay at home mom myself… who can find the time??? We’re with our kids!! At least if you have kids under school age!

angryworkingmom February 26, 2010, 6:49 PM

SAHM’s really? That would be interesting..I guess your screwed if you are a teacher married to a Doctor!?

Really? February 27, 2010, 6:23 AM

I’m thinking that if you are a SAHM and have time and energy to cheat, then you AREN’T doing your job!!

Jen February 27, 2010, 9:23 AM

First of all, I think this list is BS. Anyone can cheat, it does not matter what your profession is. Secondly, I think it’s hilarious that it’s insinuating that if your a man in a high salaried profession or if your a woman in a lower salary job then your the odds are your going to cheat. So I guess the ideal couple that wouldn’t cheat would be a highly successful woman with a loser husband who works fast food. (Sarcasm)

Vanessa February 27, 2010, 5:09 PM

I can’t get passed the fact that that website was even made.

adelaide dancing February 28, 2010, 3:14 PM

no mention of professional golfers?

tennmom February 28, 2010, 4:23 PM

Anyone who would use that website is a pitiful, pathetic, selfish, arrogant mess of a person. Really, how many people are so flat-out fantastic that they deserve a spouse and a lover? Zero, that’s how many.
Cheaters cheat, bottom line. Cheaters are cowards. If someone is unhappy in a relationship or a marriage, they should end that relationship or marriage before entering another.

u'd be surprised March 2, 2010, 12:19 PM

I can’t believe that website exists!

You’d be surprised how much time a SAHM has to cheat, when they’re being inconsiderate of their kids. Either the mother will drag her kids along or just invite the stranger into their home when daddy is gone. I know this as a fact, both as a child being dragged along and as the wife of someone who was cheated by an ex-wife.

Black Iris March 3, 2010, 9:25 AM

I think the guys are lying about their professions to get laid. A cheater’s “dating service” is likely to attract liars.

I wonder if those are just the top jobs for women - teacher, nurse, secretary, and mom?

Or the women could be lying, too. I’ve always assumed that most of the women who would sign up for this service are from the Oldest Profession. I figure the guys would have to pay since they’re married and want to keep it secret.

Batman March 10, 2010, 4:56 AM

Before getting all offended, keep in mind that these are just the observed statistics based on the sample surveyed. It does not mean doctors, stay at home moms, or whoever else will cheat.

If it’s raining outside, the roads are wet; if the roads are wet, it does not mean it’s raining outside.

Ogus Laplop March 10, 2010, 6:22 AM

Given the number of my buddies that lost their virginity to stay at home moms back in the 70’s I’d say nothing has changed.

Gary March 10, 2010, 7:42 AM

Wow, apparently SAHM are also idiots too, if I take the sample of those who commented here as representative. You complain that SAHM don’t have time to cheat, but you apparently have time to surf the web. Shut up.

natalie March 10, 2010, 9:08 AM

this doesn’t show who’s most likely to cheat, it’s reveals who’s most likely to use their site. big difference.

Statistically speaking March 11, 2010, 11:40 AM

There is really nothing of statistical relevance in this article. Assume that the people using that site is a representative sample of the population of cheaters in the US. To tell who is most likely, you would have to compare the percentage of female teachers using the site, to the percentage of teachers in the general population.

Male ‘executives’ clearly isn’t in their list, but I’d be willing to bet that they are a higher proportion of members of their site than they are of the general population.

Casey March 18, 2010, 11:43 AM

The study is faulty because it uses gender jobs as the bases for cheaters. 100% of the SAHM are female ~ ergo more cheating moms. Most males are drs and engineers~ergo more cheating doctors and engineers.

Secondly, it’s a cheating site and people lie. Did Ashley Madison expect to find a ton of professors, trash collectors and charity workers in their sleazy site?

married men seeking women November 1, 2010, 8:43 AM

Where can we go to have an extra marital affair? It seems to me that mated ladies in addition to espoused males looking to have affairs all go to the same married dating sites. I believe that its a good thing in addition to no one should have to remain committed to a marriage they dislike very strongly.

massagers hitachi magic wand November 2, 2010, 11:34 AM

The hitachi magic wand Get Your Hands On Every ladies Most excellent Companion, This hitachi vibrator Is Ensured to Bring You Hours Of Pleasurable Vibrating Fun. it has been my first choice for in reality several years now plus I can not praise it enough. It certainly is a womans most excellent companion. At this moment, you can pick up your own magic wand vibrator very cheaply online.

man looking for man November 3, 2010, 4:08 PM

Where can I go to meet married gay men who want a gay affair? It seems to me that espoused guys looking to have affairs all go to the same gay dating sites. I believe that its a great thing and no one should have to remain dedicated to a marriage they hate.

men for men personals November 3, 2010, 4:23 PM

Where can I go to find other bisexual men who would like a gay affair? It seems to me that mated men hoping to have affairs all go to the same gay dating websites. I believe that its a good thing as well as no one should have to remain loyal to a marriage they hate.