Woman Tweets During Abortion

A 27-year-old woman tweeted during her abortion as a way to, as she put it, "demystify" the procedure for other women.

Angie Jackson, tweeting under the user name "antitheistangie," chronicled her experience as she says she terminated her pregnancy with the use of RU-486, known as the abortion pill.

The graphic posts, like "Cramps are getting a bit more persistent" and "Definitely bleeding now," were posted on February 21.

Jackson told ABCNews.com that she had been using an IUD for contraception, but it apparently failed. Having a blog of her own, she says she turned online for support. She is already the mother to a 4-year-old with special needs, and says her doctors advised against another pregnancy after her first one was life-threatening. "I had made a decision when my son was born to try to not get pregnant again, and if that failed I'd planned that I would get an abortion if I needed one," Jackson said, adding "My goal is to stay alive, and the best chance of that is to have an abortion."

She says since deciding to chronicle the ordeal publicly, she and her family have been the target of death threats. She says she's been called a "whore" who "can't keep her legs closed," that she is "going to hell" and has also been sent Bible verses.

"Maybe I was naive," Jackson said. "I had not expected that people would think I was making up a medical need for an abortion or other things, like people accusing me of getting pregnant on purpose so I could do this as a publicity stunt," she said.

Jackson has turned a very personal decision public -- what do you think? Is this the kind of thing people should use the Internet for?

next: Study: Autism Can Be Detected in the First Year
Kal L. February 25, 2010, 3:34 PM

I think it’s very courageous of her and is a sign of the collapsing reality of the online and offline world.

Clae February 25, 2010, 4:00 PM

idk how I feel about it. I’m against abortion from a moral standpoint, full stop. At once I feel like it was extremely sleazy and extremely enlightening. I don’t really know though.

Amber February 25, 2010, 4:02 PM

I think she is a strong and intelligent woman. She made a choice to save her life and to show someone who might be afraid to try the pill what its like.

sniglet February 25, 2010, 4:12 PM

As a 60 yr old who had an elective abortion between 6 spontaneous abortions, NEVER look back….it was the best decision I’ve ever made! Far less painful, less dangerous than natural miscarriage! Followed by NO regrets, NO guilt….just drives those religious folks nutty! (Judge NOT!) As long as that creature cannot live without MY body feeding it, it is NOT a separate entity, but merely an organ that I can choose to remove!

. February 25, 2010, 4:13 PM

Good for her. She rocks!

BH February 25, 2010, 4:16 PM

What an amazing idea. An unbiased, unendorsed, honest approach to an actual abortion. I wish everyone in the world could see this, especially young women.

Megan February 25, 2010, 4:19 PM

I think that it was a positive thing for her to do. As a woman who has had an abortion before, I think she was very strong for doing it so publicly, and I applaud her. It’s terrible to hear that so many people are so negative on the whole situation in general, but even worse that they can’t keep their hateful opinions to themselves. It’s sad.

Meg February 25, 2010, 4:27 PM

If you can’t (for medical reasons) or should not (perhaps financial reasons) have a baby then wouldn’t it also be morally wrong to have it anyways? This woman had an abortion because her life may have depended on it. How absolutely brain washed and ignorant do you have to be to think there’s something wrong with having an abortion for that reason??

Anon February 25, 2010, 5:30 PM

She needs to stop hogging all the bandwidth.

Eva February 25, 2010, 11:19 PM

I love the fact that she made the right decision to get an abortion, and better yet that we live some where that allows her to make it. I do have to say making her personal life so public seems to be a misinformed decision. If you want to spread the word about what an abortion is like then get a job doing it or volunteer at a councilors office. This was the wrong medium for her message.

TLW March 1, 2010, 8:37 AM

Although I am against abortion, it was her decision to make, she’s the only one who has to answer for that. I do believe that it was in poor taste to publicize it. I agree with Eva, if you want to make the public aware, do it in the correct arena. Megan says that it’s wrong that ppl can’t keep their negativity (their choices and opinions) to themselves, why couldn’t Ms. Jackson keep her choice and opinion to herself?

Erin March 8, 2010, 8:54 AM

Abortion is wrong, in any situation.

Ana March 8, 2010, 10:45 AM

I think she is speaking out about something that should not be a reason as to whether people think you are good or bad. As a woman who has had an abortion, I thank GOD that I had this option. Living without this right would be a nightmare. Thank you for shedding light on this..it is our decision, our body..our right!

Alisa March 8, 2010, 1:48 PM

Erin, I wonder if you wouldn’t have made the same decision to save your life. It’s easy to judge people when you have no frame of reference for what they’re going through.

As for people who think she chose the wrong forum, while I respect your opinion, I think that her tweeting about her abortion was the whole point—she was trying to reach women who might not otherwise have access to this information, whether it’s because they live in small towns or whatever the reason. I applaud her courage.

thepsychobabble March 18, 2010, 1:40 PM

We have no problem with women live-tweeting their birth, but this is somehow horrible and wrong? (via the tweet that sent me here, that is)
Yeah, I disagree with that stance.

Crazy2have3kids May 4, 2010, 3:51 PM

WTF!!!!!! Is wrong with poeple these day’s… I mean I have 4 wonderful children… I wasn’t supposed to have any at all… was supposed to be blank.. anywho.. those if us that God blessed us…. he gave us them for a reason… There is no words out there that can describe the pain for that inocent baby…