Woo Hoo! I Am Not a Perfect Mom

It occurred to me recently that I am not a perfect mom.

kid eating ice cream

Ellen S.: I am far from a perfect mom. I just might be the opposite of a perfect mom. But given that my kids have not sued me -- and that they seem to be turning out alright -- I am guessing that being an imperfect mom is perfectly OK.

A glimpse at some of my more imperfect moments:

* When the kids aren't in the mood for a bath (or I'm not in the mood to give them one), I have been known to resort to a diaper-wipe shower: You grab some wipes, you wipe them down.

* I have let my 7-year-old, Max, have a dish of ice cream for dinner ... and an ice-cream sandwich for dessert.

* The kids' baby scrapbooks? I never made it past "mother's name, father's name, baby's height, baby's weight."

* Come to think of it, I'm not even sure where their baby scrapbooks are.

* I have put Max's shoes on the wrong feet while he was wearing his foot braces (which are supposed to help you walk better, which is kinda hard to do when your mother has put your shoes on the wrong feet).

* I have let Sabrina, my 5-year-old, pluck a shirt/pants/dress from the dirty laundry and wear it again. Thankfully, she has not yet begged to re-wear underwear.

* I have refused to read certain books to the kids because I am bored by them (the books, not the kids).

* As a serial evening snacker, I have eaten the last of the kids' cheese crackers. I have also polished off their Cheerios, their cookies, their chocolate pudding and once, in a tragic turn of events, the macaroni and cheese we brought home from the diner that Sabrina was going to finish up the next day.

* When the kids' pants are too long, I just roll them up. Presto: hemmed!

* When Sabrina has gotten a knot in her hair, I've been known to cut it out rather than try to patiently comb through it.

* I have thrown out pictures the kids have made.

* The last time I organized the kids' playroom was in September. Or was it July? I can't be sure.

* I once accidentally sent Max to school on class picture day in ratty sweatpants and a stained shirt.

* I have let Sabrina watch three Hannah Montana shows in a row. I hope she doesn't someday require therapy for that.

* When the kids have celebrated their birthdays at school, I've bought cupcakes from the store and put them in my own box.

Sooooo, are you one of "those" moms -- or do you fall into my camp? Share!

next: Obama is Home for Dinner ... What About Me?
Elizabeth February 22, 2010, 7:27 AM

You go girl! Moms need to try to relate to each other instead of concentrating so hard on psuedoperfection. I sometimes feel pressured to appear like I have it all together. I am trying to let that go and show my faults. Ultimately the human side of us is way more endearing.

chris February 22, 2010, 8:53 AM

I think we have all been there at one time or another and if any mom say she hasn’t, then shame on her for lying.

vicky February 22, 2010, 8:58 AM

I am a very proud member of this group. I have done that and then some.

Desiree @ Writing to Sanity February 22, 2010, 8:58 AM

I love it that you are so honest! I’m right there with ya.

Kim February 22, 2010, 9:28 AM

Have so been there many times. I think those that haven’t aren’t real moms. : )

Carolyn February 22, 2010, 11:30 AM

You sound like a great Mom to me… but that might be because I’ve done the same things.

Kris February 22, 2010, 12:29 PM

I let me 3 year old eat gummy bears as a midnight snack (I’m asleep and he’s awake) and write all over older brother while he’s asleep. I also let them have candy 3 times a week and they say the d (dumb)word when referring to Patrick Star. I say lighten up if you crack the whip all the time then your little cubs will eventually bite you back or maybe even maul you (lol) oh and I also use time outs (especially when i catch them jumping off the couch on top of each other or using wrestling moves on each other) like there is no tomorrow I blame their adventurous daredevil personality on daddy.

Alisa Shtromberg February 23, 2010, 7:38 AM

Wow, I was so inspired and relieved that I had to respond with my own post on this. Thanks for doing this!

marta February 25, 2010, 3:23 AM

i was laughing so hard at the diaper wipe shower.. i have done that several times as well.. and the long pants lol.. they’re kids they look beautiful with whatever they wear, however they wear it so.. lets take advantage of that..

Kim February 25, 2010, 8:59 PM

hahahaha - tonight my 3yo go a washcloth bath before bed.

the three peaks challenge March 6, 2011, 4:21 PM

A really good set of info which I will be certainly coming back to read again. Thanks very much to all those who contribute.