Would You Hire a Hot Nanny?

They may be great childcare professionals, but why give my husband the temptation?

hot nanny

Dr. Wendy Walsh: Exactly 12 years ago, when my first child was born, I began the confusing task of interviewing childcare professionals. It was my first step into that fascinating world of the mommy/nanny child-rearing alliance, and I had no idea what to ask or how to judge whether or not a person would keep my baby safe. But there was one thing I knew for sure: This woman, with her feminine pheromones,  living in my house with my husband, would NOT be young and hot.

Call me vain. Call me insecure. Or call me practical. I'd read enough Harlequin romances in my life to know the rules. When the time came to hire a nanny, I knew more about men than children -- and if there's one thing I know about men, it is this: They get confused sometimes. Not EVERY man, of course. And not in every circumstance. But in a house where an episiotomy- or C-section-incision has become a coitus interruptus, a man can get a little randy. And why tempt the poor fella with a Swedish model in her pajamas at the breakfast table? It's just cruel.

The concept reminds me of a camp for disadvantaged kids that I used to run in a government-housing project. These children were seriously suffering economically. The first day of camp, I asked one of their public-school teachers where I should put down my purse. He smiled and said, "These are all basically good kids, but why torture them? Leave your purse at home."

And my man was basically a good guy. But I also knew that I was dog-tired, flabby, grumpy and not about to put on a Victoria's Secret anything. So why have Tiger Woods' wife strutting through the house?

next: Amy Brenneman: Crafting with Mom
Stefanie February 16, 2010, 6:31 PM

Seriously?! You’re using Harlequin romances to justify your feelings. Those things can barely be called literature, and they’re horribly written to boot. Sweet Pea, something tells me you’re just paranoid.

deaddrift February 16, 2010, 8:40 PM

I am seeing a real trend with this author and serious issues with men. Doctor, heal thyself.

GPC February 16, 2010, 8:45 PM

No way in Hades I’d hire a hot nanny…while I trust my SO, no point in inviting temptation. Like I’d be able to afford a nanny anyway.

Lissa February 17, 2010, 1:47 PM

LOL, I know my husband would never cheat. And given that he has me by 9 years age wouldn’t really bother me. But, no way am I bring some hot chick into my home. If he wants some one in there late 60’s so be it….

Lissa February 17, 2010, 1:50 PM

SAHD's Wife February 19, 2010, 5:39 AM

Seriously? Let me make a suggestion: You’re outting yourself, as insecure, man hating, non trusting, you have alternately posted that all men would hit on you, and flirt with you if given the chance, and that teenage boys and all men are to be considered “dangerous items in the house.” because they might all attack your daughters. I highly recommend you spend the next couple posts writing about something that doesn’t make everyone realize you need therapy yourself. You’re loosing credibility fast.

MOM LOGIC - Do you check into theses so called experts at all? I’m starting to wonder if we shouldn’t trust any of them.

Mi March 11, 2010, 4:34 PM

SAHD’S wife, I agree w/ everything you said, 100%!

Nathan March 11, 2010, 8:39 PM

Well I am officially offended. That is some sexist talk right there. And I’m not just talking about women who assume men have no control of themselves, but also sexiest in that they are also assuming that a hot woman would automatically try to tempt him. (On top of that, a Nanny would be expensive, and a little lazy, I get to raze my kids.)

Ten Tees January 9, 2011, 11:11 AM

Great info! Nice reading. I have got a small observation to offer about t-shirts.

MomInRI January 25, 2011, 6:23 AM

I agree with most of the others on this. Since you mentioned Tiger Woods, you should have noticed that if a man is going to cheat he doesn’t need an attractive woman to do. What do you when your husband has to go to work … or use the bathroom at a restraunt, or go shopping unsupervised. I think this is a sign of a marriage in trouble. THE LEAST of your problems is child care from the sound of it.