1-Year-Old Happy Meal Doesn't Age

This will make you think twice about swinging by the McDonald's drive-thru on your way home ....

While researching her nutritional book for kids, "Baby Bites," Joann Bruso put a McDonald's Happy Meal on the shelf to see what would happen to it over a year's time. The result? Virtually nothing! No decay, no mold, nothing!

In Joann's own words ... "My Happy Meal is one year old today and it looks pretty good. It NEVER smelled bad. The food did NOT decompose. It did NOT get moldy, at all.

"This morning, I took it off my shelf to take a birthday photo. The first year is always a milestone. I gave it one of my world-famous nonna hugs, as we've been office mates for a year now! (Okay, maybe my sanity is in question.)"

This is the photo -- after a year.

happymeal

Source: Boing Boing
via Consumerist

EW!

next: 1.2 Million Graco High Chairs Recalled
Kat Caverly March 18, 2010, 11:48 AM

OMG! Is this real?? I don’t eat Fast Food. I hardly eat anything processed anymore. What is the world do they spray this with that it doesn’t decay? This is NOT food.

Anonymous Mom March 18, 2010, 12:01 PM

My daughter (who’s almsot 7) loves to have a Happy Meal about every couple weeks or so. Man, are we gonna have a fight on our hands next time she wants to go, because that. Is. DISGUSTING. I swear I gagged a little bit.

Anonymous March 18, 2010, 2:58 PM

gotta love preservatives Im gonna go home and do a full body cleanse then Im gonna buy one and try it for myself LOL just to see if this isnt a hoax

Work at Home Mom March 18, 2010, 9:23 PM

Wow. I’ll definitely think twice before swinging through the drive-thru again. How is that even possible?

Anonymous March 18, 2010, 9:54 PM

I highly doubt this ever happened; I think it’s a hoax…….

Anonymous March 18, 2010, 11:57 PM

This is a hoax, a friend of my tried this with a McDonalds burger before and it started to rot after two weeks.

Melissa March 19, 2010, 8:12 AM

OMG That looks so tasty! I would totally eat that.

Sonnie March 19, 2010, 8:14 AM

We have actually done a similar experiment, but not with a Happy Meal. We used a regular Quarter Pounder and a medium fry. After a few days the burger was starting to decompose but the french fries were exactly the same as before after 9 months. We did have a control and used a burger and fry from a local mom/pop shop. The fries from the local shop decomposed after a week.

Michael March 19, 2010, 11:02 AM

It’s a hoax. Bread would definitely grow some mold over time.

Amber March 19, 2010, 1:27 PM

I totally believe it. I have found french fries, chicken nuggets, half corn dogs, etc under the seats of the car, slipped down under car seat covers and that sort of thing. With as often as I clean under the seats of the car (every few months at best) I know they were old. They always look the same - hard and dry but visibly the same and not moldy. If you saw a picture of it you wouldn’t know it was hard and old until you held it in your hand. The documentary “Super Size Me” did some experimenting with fast food and found the same results.

Jennifer March 19, 2010, 1:32 PM

Oh come on people. You buy a loaf of bread and it goes bad within a few weeks. what makes you think that this particular burger (with bread) is any different? Common scense!

Amber March 19, 2010, 1:46 PM

Jennifer -

I’m sorry, but a loaf of bread going bad after a few weeks is still a sign of preservatives at work. Home made bread goes moldy within a few days. =\

Mat March 19, 2010, 7:01 PM

Well, at least the toy is still good

MJ March 19, 2010, 8:03 PM

So it dried up and didn’t get moldy, whatever. Is it news that this stuff is bad for you if you eat it often? I’m gonna get some McDonald’s hamburgers and fries tonight and I’m gonna enjoy eating them. Besides, I’m allergic to mold so it’s nice to know that my meal won’t be growing any should it happen to stay in my stomach for a year, which it won’t.

Darla Siereveld March 19, 2010, 8:52 PM

Are you kidding me , what do they think this food is , an MRI ?????

friend March 19, 2010, 11:01 PM

you sure nobody ate it and replaced it later?

charity hope  March 20, 2010, 5:08 AM

i really hate mcdonalds before now i hate it more!!!!!!! that is ssssssooooo nasty!!!!! i mean really, a year????????

Catie March 20, 2010, 9:14 AM

Slightly off the point, but don’t you just love how unhappy and neglected the toy looks? Was the expression the same when you bought it? :)

tim April 4, 2010, 10:58 PM

I saw this on fox 40 in sacramento and it looked odd, first off, the burger doesnt look right for a hamburger for mcdonalds and two the recipe she held up was in perfect condition? its on carbon paper, it degrades and fades within weeks, i think she tampered with it

Louis April 12, 2010, 11:31 PM

I have no problem believing that happy meal is over a year old, but I don’t see the big deal. Ever found an old french fry under your car seat? McDonalds hamburger patties are also fried very thin, so they dry out quickly when left out. When there’s no moisture present, food doesn’t decompose. It’s perfectly normal.