11-Year-Olds Dating -- Is This OK?!

Moms -- better sit down for this one. A new study shows that 79 percent of kids aged 11 to 14 say they have been in a relationship. Say what?!

girl kissing boy

In a national effort to stop teen dating abuse, the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation conducted a major opinion poll targeting the country's tweens. Here are the facts:

• 47 percent say they kiss on a typical "date."
  • 56 percent feel it is important for people their age to have a boyfriend or girlfriend.
  • 53 percent of kids aged 11 - 14 say it is hard to get out of an unhealthy relationship.
  • 55 percent of 11- to 14-year-olds would not talk to an adult if they saw a friend being threatened or abused by their boyfriend or girlfriend.
  • 52 percent of 11- to 14-year-olds feel people their age would not break up with their boyfriend or girlfriend if their parents told them to.

Yikes.

"Although many of the 11- to 14-year-olds who were surveyed know how to identify the most unhealthy relationship behaviors, this poll shows that many still do not have a clear sense of what it means to be in a healthy relationship," says Kristin Schubert, a program officer at the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.

Too soon to talk to your child about dating? You decide!

next: Adoption's Verbal Land Mines
austin February 10, 2011, 11:29 PM

i enjoy basketball and i am very skinny. i love paper airplanes and walking my dog.i have a facebook, i like to spend time with friends and my girlfriends.i am 11 and i like my dog jojo he is 4 years old.i like football, too.i like fuuny, cute, skinny, kinda tall,likes music,likes basketball type girl.

Christine Duriga February 18, 2011, 9:13 AM

great to read from a man who really can talk about it.

MBTS sale March 4, 2011, 12:23 AM

Folks today generate their particular values inside goods, just like several little finger shoes or boots, elegant Nike shoes or boots and in addition cheap mbt shoes or boots. They will not merely help make these kinds of shoes or boots way of trend, but in addition make an effort to cause them to become problem a lot more concerning individual well being.

discount MBT shoes March 5, 2011, 4:57 AM

Sports activities game enthusiasts are usually concerned in regards to the video game footwear. an excellent footwear is actually rather necessary for a good sportsman.

missawsome March 5, 2011, 7:15 PM

hi and yes im 11 and i have not had a boyfreind but i do have a crush on someone and he might think hes ugly but he is very cute to me and for thouse parents who think kids 11-14 cat date well there going to anyways maybe just let them date once and if it last longer then 1 month there redy to date.
-missawsome

Jar March 29, 2011, 5:52 PM

Jozet at Halushki your crazy. You must be an overprotective parent that is really strict. You should let your child go on group dates. I am 11 and I just want to go bowling with my girlfriend and with 2 other people, and my parents wont let me go!!. That just gets your kids angry and you get in fights more. You have to have trust in your child.

Sean  April 3, 2011, 8:04 PM

Look, im 11 and i have had 2 Girlfriends.
I think “going out” is ok because its part of life and you cant stop nature from taking its course. Im in 6th grade and going into 7th and ive had my 1st kiss and so have many kids my age. Its not wrong or stupid because we do what we do because thats life. Being a kid doesnt mean we cant have fun. Im mature and i could care less what adults think. Its not like we r going 2 have sex. I mean we r way too young. This isnt a wrong age for dating or kissing. Its called puberty and just cuz we r young doesnt mean we can have a physical experiance with the opposite sex. Its not that big of a deal
Its just adults dont remember what its like at this age. Its called hoemones and you cant stop them :p

Sean  April 3, 2011, 8:04 PM

Look, im 11 and i have had 2 Girlfriends.

cole April 8, 2011, 10:34 PM

im 11 years old and pisst 0ff at all you moms i have a girl friend wh0 asked me out she had a crush on me for 2 years and i had a crush on her for3 and we told each olther our familys know and we love it other befor that we were best friends for 7 years thats 14 inter net years
WINNING if you dont know whsts thats from you under a interwebd rock

cole April 8, 2011, 10:35 PM

WINNING if you dont know whsts thats from you under a interwebd rock

Keiren April 15, 2011, 7:06 PM

hey wassup, im new im cute, and im 11.:D

Keiren April 15, 2011, 7:08 PM

hey.im 11.:D

saihiem June 1, 2011, 4:26 PM

I am a talker but it is hard for me to find a date that like me for me