Arrest Made in N.J. Walmart 'All Black People' Case

FOX News: An arrest has been made in the case of a racial comment being made over the public-address system at a Walmart store in southern New Jersey, police said.

wal-mart store
The Washington Township Police Department said on its Web site early Saturday that an arrest has been made in a "bias incident" at the retail store. The posting said police and Gloucester County Prosecutor's Office will announce the arrest at a midday news conference.

Police and prosecutor's office spokesman Bernie Weisenfeld declined to comment Saturday.

A male voice came over the Walmart public-address system Sunday evening and calmly announced: "Attention, Walmart customers: All black people, leave the store now."

Although a manager quickly apologized for the remark over the intercom, many customers expressed their anger to store management.

Officials for Bentonville, Ark.-based Wal-Mart Stores Inc., said the announcement was "unacceptable." The company said in a statement Friday that it determined a customer may have been responsible for it; spokesman David Tovar declined further comment Saturday until after the news conference.

The company said it has already updated the store's intercom system to prevent a similar incident from happening again.

It was the latest in a series of problems the retailer has had in its dealings with minorities and women.

There have been several past instances of black customers claiming they were treated unfairly at Walmart stores, and the company faced lawsuits alleging that women were passed over in favor of men for pay raises and promotions.

In February 2009, the retailer paid $17.5 million to settle a class action lawsuit alleging racial discrimination in its hiring of truck drivers.

And the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission sued the company in May 2009, claiming some Hispanic employees at a Sam's Club subsidiary in California were subjected to a hostile work environment. That suit alleges managers failed to stop repeated verbal harassment, including the use of derogatory words, against employees of Mexican descent.

However, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People has said the company has worked hard in recent years to show it cares about diversity.

Read more stories moms are talking about.

next: Michelle McGee's Ex Files for Full Custody of Their 5-Year-Old Son
Anonymous March 20, 2010, 9:07 AM

GET OVER IT!!

Missjoy816 March 20, 2010, 12:40 PM

Get over what… exactly? Ignorant racist people perhaps?

Anonymous March 21, 2010, 8:02 AM

Maybe people who are tired of inconsiderate people in stores.

Anonymous March 21, 2010, 8:07 AM

Well if you expect behavior like this from white people you wont be surprised, hell they been doing this for years

Sam March 21, 2010, 8:20 AM

Expected behavior from (white people)? I think your a little racist yourself.
I think every race has it’s bad seed. No one race should be judged by one person.

Sharon Trahan March 21, 2010, 8:43 AM

I think that ALL people, not just whites,
not just blacks, But ALL people should try
to get along with each other and NOT use
racist comments. To me, the use of racist comments shows stupidity! If blacks
want to shop at WalMart , I say let them, for they need things also. We are all in this world together and so we need to make the best of it.

Anonymous March 21, 2010, 9:32 AM

No one identified the kid’s race…so by assuming that unknown fact..you are just as bad as him.

Let’s get on with the really important things in life like dwelling into the affairs of John Edwards and Jesse James!

UD March 21, 2010, 9:43 AM

Odd. Within the past few months about 3-4 black males have been beaten up by white police, but in each case the decision was made in each case that neither beating was racially motivated and thus no one was arrested, but a KID gets on the intercom and tells all black people to leave the store and he gets arrested??????????????????

Anonymous March 21, 2010, 11:26 AM

and you wonder why this world is in such a mess! I am sure God is not happy with the way ALL his children are acting towards one another. Keep Praying for one another and lets just stop all this madness..remember 9-11, the War, the killings of columbine,Katrina, Haiti and all the other times when we come together as one. This is no different people, where is the Love?

Phil Pearl March 21, 2010, 11:49 AM

This is why I never shop at Wal Mart. It seems to me that the worst of the worst already shops there. Where I live in Columbus, Ohio, Walmarts are just crazy scenes where anything can happen, understaffed stores, Staff that is there is incompetent, surly and rude (usually all three).

A mentally ill senior citizen after several assaults on very young children, was finally arrested. He was using Walmart stores to target small children, assault them with protruding keys from his hand, and move on like nothing happened. Why in Walmart? It was because he knew he could get away with it there.

I stopped shopping there over 10 years ago because being in a Walmart is such an alienating experience. I’ll pay the competitors higher prices. I will only support stores that care about the safety, security, and comfort of its customers. Why the morons in Columbus still shop at any of the Walmarts, especially the one on Morse Road, is just beyond me.

If you really want to be treated better by any business, quit shopping there until they are until they listen. We are idiots for putting up with unclean, unsafe conditions just to save a buck. They are richer than ever. That’s because y’all still shop there. Idiots!

Anonymous March 21, 2010, 12:38 PM

Well his comments were less offensive then a Chris Rock monologue, and I like Chris Rock, he cracks me up. My point is, only white males are prohibited from making a joke today. Everyone else may say as they please.

MW March 21, 2010, 12:56 PM

Let me get this right. A person gets arrested for making a stupid comment over a Walmart p.a. system. 2 years ago on the day after Thanksgiving a seasonal Walmart employee gets trampled to death by shoppers looking for bargains and not a single arrest is made. My, my what a pathetic society(country) we have become

Anonymous March 21, 2010, 1:14 PM

This sounds like something a teenager would do just for kicks or to feel important. As long as the P.A. System is under lock and key now, its not necessary to continue making a big deal out of it. Grow up, people.

Earache March 21, 2010, 2:12 PM

His actions are racist, (possibly) insensitive, (probably) but NOT criminal. Boo hoo someones feelings got hurt.

Anonymous March 21, 2010, 2:28 PM

Get over it! No one, and I mean NO ONE has ever appologized for the Polish or Hitler jokes when I was younger. Just because of my heritage. Now because of a skin color, you go to jail for this stuff…Grow up…

Yeah, he was wrong and inconsiderate, and deserves a good butt kickin, but not criminal…. I can come up with a lot better things the police could be doing.

Anonymous March 21, 2010, 3:59 PM

All Asian people, please leave Walmart. All European people, please leave Walmart. All White people, please leave Walmart. All Hispanic people, please leave Walmart. All Muslim people, please leave Walmart. All gay people, please leave Walmart No issue. But all Black people, please leave Walmart. Big issue? Presidential apologies, reparations, National holidays, protective legislation, minority scholarships, and on and on and on. How much more will it take before being Black in America is not an issue? Please, give me the answer.

Massachusetts March 31, 2010, 8:22 PM

I lol’ed

Sharon August 27, 2010, 2:44 AM

Some guys are really stupid… scrabble help

Jennifer Lee November 9, 2010, 10:50 AM

Yea, i agree with Sharon…some people are very very stupid. Pharmacy Technician

shahzaib November 24, 2010, 8:44 AM

It really hurts that we have achieved almost everything in this era but we are stillnot grown up and the worthless differences still prevail among us.
earn money with hotfile