Awful Library Books: 'How to Be a Thin Girl'

"How to Be a Reasonably Thin Teenage Girl: Without Starving, Losing Your Friends or Running Away from Home" is an actual book. And it will piss you off ....

If you thought magazines today were brutal to a young girl's body image, check out this real gem discovered by the Awful Library Books blog.

All of the chapters -- but especially "How'd you get so fat anyway?" and "It's called exercise, or get off your duff and do something" -- break our hearts. And you won't believe the illustration associated with the chapter, "Fifty ways to lose your blubber."

how to be a thin girl

Check it out at AwfulLibraryBooks.Wordpress.com.

next: It's a Girl for FlashForward Star Joseph Fiennes
Anonymous March 11, 2010, 4:36 AM

With the amount of overweight children/teens and their lack of exercise this might be just what they need. “It’s called exercise, or get off your duff and do something” That quote is dead on! I hate how it has become so politically correct that we accept health risks to our children instead of telling them the truth -they are fat and lazy and need to exercise every day.

Kathy March 11, 2010, 7:32 AM

Anonymous, I was gonna leave the same type of comment but you said it just fine. I agree with you 100%

Renae  March 11, 2010, 8:27 AM

First of all, the book is from 1986, so it doesn’t exactly touch on “current” issues. Also, this has nothing to do with political correctness, it’s pushing the idea that anything other than “thin” makes you a fat person, which is terribly problematic in our society. Maybe if this book focused more on healthy eating and exercise and focused less on silly illustrations and unsupportive wording it would be acceptable.

T March 11, 2010, 9:11 AM

Renae, it is aimed at a young audience. “Silly illustrations” are present to reach the target age group. Furthermore, the humor in it probably makes it more appealing to read than just a book about fitness and diet.

Renae March 11, 2010, 12:54 PM

yes, I’m sure teen girls who are self-conscious about their weight would find the illustrations hilarious. O, I’m sure they would also find the chapter “how’d you get so fat anyway?” riveting. Just because you’re not “thin” does not mean you are “fat.”

Leah March 12, 2010, 5:21 AM

Agree w/Anonymous & Kathy. Kids and teens are too fat and lazy today. When I was 13 I was getting quite chunky and know what - my gram came straight out and told me. She told I needed to start working out because carrying extra weight is not healthy. And I’ve thanked her for setting me straight ever since. I now live a very healthy lifestyle. I think people are way too PC and protective of their “speical little snowflake” children and need to get a grip.

Chelsey -a teen June 29, 2010, 11:00 AM

Excuse me but i’m 14 i excercise daily and i think you all would make terrible mothers because you are acting so juvenile by putting every kid under 19 into a box and labeling us FAT. I bet that none of you are thin like me so keep ur unkind comments to urself! I’m sorry to vent like that but this just pathetic!

創業 September 23, 2010, 6:08 AM

Simply, one of the best article l have come across on this precious subject. I quite agree with your suppositions and will eagerly look forward to your forthcoming updates.

泳鏡 October 8, 2010, 1:41 AM

I strategy on publishing this post all more than the web. Should certainly I give any credit/references back for you?

泳鏡 October 28, 2010, 2:38 AM

This amazing is 1 of the most suitable article that My partner and i have read till date on this particular theme. Totally complete yet to the point without the need for any specific nonsense.

hoolsale45 January 29, 2011, 6:59 AM

I was looking for some interesting post on Beta nature of business and this is what I found here, that’s simply great. I am inspired by the writing style of author. I will be visiting in future to extend my knowledge. Thanks
birthday wishes