African-American Doll Discrimination?

Shelve the racism, please.

momlogic's Momstrosity
A picture snapped in a store in the Midwest shows a disparity between the cost of Caucasian and African-American dolls. The blonde dolls are almost double the price of their darker-skinned neighbors. What gives?!

I hope a malfunctioning computer is at fault, and not an actual person.

barbie

next: Community Strength in Times of Tragedy
bw March 4, 2010, 2:48 PM

Honestly? I’m sure it *was* the computer. In the retail world, what doesn’t sell gets marked down in the hope that it will sell. And let’s be honest here: how many white midwesterners are actually buying African American dolls? Probably the same number of African Americans buying white dolls, right?

Anonymous March 4, 2010, 3:15 PM

ever heard of supply and demand ..why are people so quick to start up trouble.I wonder if those prices were reversed what would happen would it still be a big deal. I’m sure it would someone would have to complain about something

Anonymous March 4, 2010, 4:24 PM

I’d buy my daughter the cheaper one…no matter the color!

bread March 4, 2010, 4:32 PM

$3??? I thought it would have been $.99..hmm…

Gigohead  March 4, 2010, 6:28 PM

I see this happen ALL the time with African American dolls. I saw it happen at my local Target.

egene March 4, 2010, 7:25 PM

I would think the Af doll would be more expensive because of the additional dye, but obviously I am wrong. However for so many to get so upset over cost of white vs darker is inexcusable. Likewise price differences are equally inexcusable. One could reason since a greater % of Af. live at or near the poverty line, maybe the company was gearing their prices in that direction.

Christina March 4, 2010, 7:30 PM

Or, if you have children of mixed heritage, like me, you have kids who see themselves as literally less valuable than their white counterparts. Sorry, this bites.

Mandy March 4, 2010, 7:33 PM

I personally am with the one mom, I will buy my (white) daughter any doll, she has both white dollies and black because her ‘little world’ should represent the real world!! However, in predominately white neighborhoods it is understandable for such a markdown, just as when I am in predominately black areas I see usually NO white dolls. It’s all supply and demand and unless something there is REALLY messed up, I think it is just a simple cause of s&d and not a representation of the store or shoppers personal feelings.

Anonymous March 4, 2010, 9:38 PM

People have to have something to gripe about or they’re just not happy! It’s all so ridiculous. The real ‘minority’ now is the white American man, they can’t get a break. If you look at who seem to be the most prejudiced people these days, it’s not white ppl.

Arisma March 5, 2010, 12:05 AM

I’m more concerned about the attitudes that are showing in the attempts to explain the price difference than the price difference itself.

jk March 5, 2010, 3:55 AM

I think Occam’s razor applies here more than a speech from Obama or Jackson. The picture appears to be from Walmart and they only see one color as most retailers: GREEN. On the price tag one is yellow and the other is red, I bet the red is close out. For you race hustlers out there that means they are getting rid of that line due not selling… That means people voted with there pocket books and did not want to buy the black dolls for what ever reason.

Anonymous March 5, 2010, 5:16 AM

yeah.. if you look underneath where it says $3.00 for the darker doll you can see it was originally the same price as the light doll. Clearly they are clearancing the darker doll.

KRAE March 5, 2010, 8:10 AM

Its a Walmart store, cant you tell that the red price tag is the CLEARANCE tag! If an item doesnt sell, they put it on clearance, it doesnt matter what it is. So should I be complaining about my purple towels I got on clearance for $1 each @ Walmart????????? Why isnt the white one on clearance? God people grow up and worry about all the homeless kids or something else. So b/c Im white Im not allowed to buy the new Princess and the Frog movie????

HigherREasoning March 5, 2010, 9:01 AM

it appears as if both dolls are stocked the same. equal distribution equal prices. dont rule out the fact, maybe the demands WERE equal. we can only speculate.

michelle March 5, 2010, 11:57 AM

Those of you who trotted out the “supply and demand” explanation with your predictable claims of reverse racism are all missing the point. Of course it’s supply and demand. No one disputes that. The question to ask is why there would be such a huge disparity in the demand (it’s probably not a supply problem). This disparity has to be much bigger than the proportional disparity between white and black WMT shoppers. I’m not saying that everyone has to buy dolls that look like themselves, but I do think it speaks to a preference even among black little girls for white dolls over black ones, which research has shown to be true. Sorry if you don’t like to hear this, but that IS evidence we still live in a racist society. Research has consistently shown preference for whiteness across all racial lines in American society, even among small children, because it signifies beauty and privilege, and this to me is sad and must change.

Anonymous March 5, 2010, 12:59 PM

she is right we still live in a racist society and the most racist people I’ve ever met in my life are black. I spent alot of years in the military were racism is on the verge of being out of control and the problem is not the white people it is almost exclusively blacks at the center of that problem. My best friend in the army is black and even he say’s blacks are a hell of alot more racists than whites….and before any of you start spewing out some justification for blacks being racists against whites make sure you think before you speak….whites dont hold the entire black community accountable for every carjacking,robbery,drug deal done by a black person although most of those crimes are committed by blacks

Christina March 5, 2010, 3:19 PM

Meeting (or hearing about) a POC who is racist neither excuses, nor justifies your own racism. You can only control your own behavior. If you choose to evidence racist beliefs and behavior, that is on you, regardless of skin tone.

FYI to the poster claiming whites are the minority in the U.S. That won’t likely happen until around 2050. Even then, whites as a whole will still outnumber individual groups of minorities. Whites will be the minority only if you lump all other groups together.

Jen March 6, 2010, 1:05 PM

Who really cares? It’s a doll. Some people prefer to buy white dolls, other people prefer to buy black dolls. My daughter when small, had dolls of both colors. But honestly, there are so many other things in this world to worry about then some dolls on clearance at Wal-Mart because they obviously weren’t selling well, for whatever reason. You don’t know why they didn’t sell well, and who are you to make assumptions!!!

sallyjrw June 16, 2010, 6:33 AM

“whites dont hold the entire black community accountable for every carjacking,robbery,drug deal done by a black person although most of those crimes are committed by blacks”

Um, yeah they do. White people don’t like, don’t trust, and don’t help black people because they don’t see black people as people, they see black people as criminals.

And black people are 12% of the population. Do you really think black people are committing the majority of these crimes?

Black people are less likely to be interviewed and hired for positions at all levels of society. Black people get arrested, charged, and prosecuted at a higher percentage than other races. There are all kinds of studies that explore racism.

To address the initial post, if black people are 12% of the population and white people are 65% of the population, a store will sell more white dolls than black dolls. The store shouldn’t stock so many black dolls. It would be racist if they didn’t carry any black dolls.

Alonso Schuchardt July 25, 2010, 10:21 PM

@John I totally agree with that point