Breast Milk Cheese, Anyone?

We first told you about Mexican artist Raul Ortega Ayala's breast milk cheese exhibit.

Mommy's Milk

Now Chef Daniel Angerer of New York City's Klee Brasserie is continuing the trend by making cheese from his wife Lori Mason's breast milk. But he has no plans to serve it in his restaurant.

If you want to make some at home, though, you're in luck: He's posted a recipe on his blog.

Even though many of us at momlogic breastfed our babies, there is something about the idea of breast milk cheese that somehow creeps us out.

Would YOU eat -- or make -- breast milk cheese?

next: Kourtney Kardashian: "I Don't Have a Nanny!"
anjie March 5, 2010, 1:38 PM

Everyone seems to forget that all milk is breast milk. All cheese is breast milk cheese. The breast milk we regularly consume is intended for cows and goats. Human breast milk cheese is probably tastier and nutritionally better for humans. I think what’s really weird is that people think it’s so weird. Still, I’d probably pass on eating it….lol

Black Iris March 5, 2010, 2:48 PM

I nursed my babies for years, but no, I don’t think I could eat cheese made from human milk.

Gail Cooke March 6, 2010, 10:13 AM

I’ll pass…while I vomit in my mouth a little bit. ICK!

erica March 9, 2010, 5:32 PM

Since I started breastfeeding, I have really been thinking about how wierd it is that humans consume the breastmilk of other animals. It kind of creeps me out to think about giving my daughter a cows breastmilk instead of my own. so making cheese from human milk seems more logical.

Dr. Wendy Walsh March 10, 2010, 7:14 AM

Don’t laugh. But I used to put my breast milk in risotto. Every dairy product becomes “homogenized” (fit for humans) when it’s heated past 165 degrees. Even food that’s meant for humans! Ha! Much stranger, biologically, to add liquid from a goat, cow, or sheep.

Wes March 11, 2010, 9:28 AM

The reason why it creeps you out is because it naturally feels cannibalistic.

We naturally eat many parts of other animals — including their milk. That is why it’s not strange to drink cow’s milk.

We also naturally eat human flesh (bear with me). In the womb, we consume the tissue in the uterus for our sustenance. As infants, we consume our mother’s breast milk. However, as we mature, we lose our dependence on nutrients from our mothers.

THAT is why it is so strange to eat breast milk cheese — I don’t need breast milk anymore. I’m not an infant, and I can consume other animals on my own now.

skidooo March 11, 2010, 9:39 AM

I wouldn’t consume diary products of any omnivore and potential smoking mammal.

But I would give it a try if I knew the Lady was a nonsmoking veggie…
;)

BuenoBaby March 11, 2010, 1:38 PM

This was re-tweeted today:

RT @GirlDetective: A chef in New York used his wife’s breast milk to create cheese, which is awesome because I didn’t want to eat today anyway.

Reuben, Jr. March 12, 2010, 1:34 AM

This is possibly the healthiest cheese made!!! Just be so sure the milk came naturally from the healthiest wives and mothers ever!

misscapatosta March 15, 2010, 7:25 AM

I totally get the whole—we are humans, so we should drink human milk thing; but I just couldn’t stomach this. I nursed my son for 6 months and am all about breast feeding—but I seem to think its meant for babies…

Clay August 4, 2010, 3:29 AM

Sorry Dr Wendy, homogenization is a process that breaks up the fat in full cream milk to give it a homogenous or “same” consistency throughout.

The word you are looking for in regards to heating the milk is “pasteurization”. Pasteurization slows microb growth in milk, though fresh unpasteurized milk is still “fit for humans”.

Can I ask what you are a doctor of?

Asley Bulkeley February 11, 2011, 4:30 AM

There is visibly a bunch to realize about this. I assume you made certain good points in features also.