Should Chris Brown Be Speaking at Schools?

Sometimes even a felony charge for beating a woman isn't enough to keep a good PR moment down.

chris brown

Convicted Rihanna-abuser Chris Brown has accepted an invitation to appear at "Family Read Night" at the Sisulu-Walker Charter School in Harlem, the New York Daily News reports.

And what's more, administrators and parents seem ready to turn a blind eye to Brown's brutal pre-Grammy-party antics.

'"I extended an invitation to all celebrities and politicians, and we had an acceptance by him," said principal Dawn Cejas, who added that the evening was geared toward encouraging students to read.

The article also quoted Olubunmi Sonubi, mom of fifth-grader Ishola, who said she was cool with giving Brown a "second chance."

"He can come even though he was arrested," she said. "He's coming to read to the children. He apologized on TV. Sometimes in real life we make mistakes."

True. But the chasm between a mistake and a violent beat-down is a bit wide.

With an image to rebuild, it's obvious Brown is out to score Brownie points any way he can -- and accepting this kind of invite is a no-brainer in working toward that end.

If your kid went to this school, how would you feel about Brown reading to him or her? Is protesting Brown's appearance the right thing to do, or is giving him a second chance -- like the mom in the article -- more in keeping with your beliefs?

next: Brooke Burke to Host 'Dancing with the Stars'
tennmom March 8, 2010, 12:29 PM

What he did was wrong, but I doubt he is proud of what he did.
If all of us had to pay the rest of our lives for one mistake, there would be a heck of a lot of paying going on, yes?

angie March 8, 2010, 12:55 PM

geez what’s this world coming to?

IKare4U March 8, 2010, 1:01 PM

I see nothing wrong with him reading at the school. Let the young man try to move on or at least help others in the process.

I’m sure he has learned from the incident. People can’t tell me he wasn’t effected by the abuse that he witnessed as a child. Instead of the media expanding on that point. They want to condemn a 19 for the rest of his life. Move on, let him move on. And allow him to help other kids maybe that are in the same situation he was years ago, not to repect his actions

Arisma March 8, 2010, 1:12 PM

Chris Brown should absolutely not be speaking in schools. He shouldn’t be applauded for anything. His behavior is well known and his demeanor has been fake and unapologetic from the start. Violence against women is a big deal and should NOT be treated lightly.

Arisma March 8, 2010, 1:39 PM

tennmom- By your reasoning it would be just fine for convicted pedophiles to teach at schools too, right? Certain crimes SHOULD follow you around for life. IKare4U- 19 year olds who murder are regularly condemned for the rest of their lives. He’s not owed a public living, and shouldn’t have one. Showing him losing all his fame, money and then working in McDonalds would be a much better lesson than anything he could possibly say to those kids.

adelaide fitness March 8, 2010, 4:28 PM

i don’t think he should be speaking in schools, it may be ok in other circumstances but not in this situation

friend March 8, 2010, 4:31 PM

instead of reading to children, he should actually do something more constructive, like raising awareness on battery against women. i’m just saying… one does not just walk away from a situation or past hoping that others would just forget it ever happened but rather take the situation at hand and turn it around to better the world and self.

egene March 8, 2010, 5:49 PM

Never in a billion years would I agree to allowing this man or any other person who has clearly evidenced a propensity for violence against women to speak to my or anyone else’s children. Sadly to me, the location of the school says it all to clearly, Harlem. African Americans apparently are more forgiving than I am or ever will be, but it seems odd to me, more African Americans are not equally offended.

joseph cantone March 9, 2010, 2:14 AM

WELL BOYS AND GIRLS I’M GOING TO READ TO YOU FROM ONE OF MY FAVORITE BOOKS TONIGHT ”BITCHSLAPPING” HOPE YOU LIKE IT TOO.

Anonymous March 9, 2010, 4:43 AM

I really don’t see anything wrong with him reading to kids. I understand what he did was wrong. I have a dad that did those things to my mom for years but I do believe in forgiveness and if he is truly sorry then he should get another chance.

carter March 9, 2010, 9:05 AM

um what the hell??? why the hell are people still on this after A YEAR?!? Like d@mn… give the guy a second chance! he only did this once unlike some people… *cough* Charlie Sheen.

trish March 9, 2010, 9:26 AM

I think we have to show all children that when you make a mistake (no matter how big or small), life goes on and we should do our best to be better people. For example, Tookie Williams wrote anti-gang children’s book to prevent children from joining a gang and Mr. Williams was one of the co-founders of the Crips. Yes there are consequences for every action and Mr. Brown is satisfying his legal obligations according to the judge’s comments.

It is important that we exercise forgiveness towards those who seek it because what if one day one of your own children does something you would’ve never dreamed of them doing. I’m sure you would want others to be merciful to him/her in spite of their indiscretion.

I hope the children at the school enjoy his storytelling and I hope he feels the joy that young children can bring to any environment.

katrina March 9, 2010, 9:52 AM

I can’t believe you guys are really commenting on this issue. He is going there for the children, not publicity. Chris Brown has always had a heart for children and public service, something you rarely see. No, they are not condoning his behavior, but I think it’s time to move on. It has been over a year and Rihanna has moved on. I don’t see her doing anything positive. You people are so quick to tear this young man (yes, I said young man) down you can’t realize the good he is doing. Chris Brown, I applaud and support your efforts.

Katrina

victoria March 9, 2010, 12:38 PM

i think its fine, so do the parents, principle and teachers at the school!

its been a year already. Move on people!

aqueen March 9, 2010, 12:50 PM

Well, I don’t think there is anything wrong with him speaking at a school if he has shown some growth and change. (I think he rushed into redeeming himself too soon, but who is to say he hasn’t changed.) At some point it may even be more appropriate to be speaking on abuse in teen relationships to a high school audience. If speaking on correcting his mistakes and changing his mind behavior will help him to become a better person, then he needs to do more of it! He is in the public eye and if he were to “hide” or keep “quiet” people would dawg him out for that so I’d rather see him improve himself then engaging in more erratic behavior.

enough March 9, 2010, 1:12 PM

he shoild be allowed to read to the chldren. what harm is that going to do. leave this kid alone.

SandeePB March 9, 2010, 1:19 PM

Of course he should be speaking in schools. Why not. He’s done more good than bad. At least he’s a positive individual trying to better himself and show others he can help, which is a whole lot more than I can say for the people who posted such negative comments. It helps to wish someone well especially when they are being sincere.

Jack March 9, 2010, 1:29 PM

Should Jay-z be meeting with the president,sitting on Oprah couch lying, singing at baseball games, singing at benefit for Haiti etc. WHEN HE STABBED A FELLOW MUSIC PRODUCER IN 1999, RECEIVED 3 YEARS PROBABTION IN 2001 FOR THE OFFENSE, TRY TO GET IT THROWN OUT, HE WASN’T A 19 YEAR OLD BUT A 30 YEAR OLD MAN, he settle a lawsuit with the victim between $500,000 to 1 million dollars, he said many interviews of shooting his own brother, okay we’ll let that one slide, he was 12, but he was a known drug dealer and if you non believers don’t believe me google search and read it for yourself… Should Rihanna perform at the Kids Choice,who didn’t deny slapping Chris Brown before the incident, also stated in a 2007 interview that she once hit her brother in the face with a glass bottle. Charlie Sheen old Charlie, who has a family show on prime time tv, oh well,everyone know’s his background, shot ex girlfriend Kelly Preston in the arm, has a history of abusing women as well as drugs… Now unless these people haven’t had abusive past and present and no one see anything wrong with them… then why can’t he read to them

kay March 9, 2010, 2:45 PM

This is President Kennedy nephew speaking, In a statement, Kennedy Shriver said he was fully behind Brown’s efforts at rehabilitation. “I support Chris Brown’s efforts to show the world why he deserves a second chance, given that the commitment he has made to Best Buddies — not only to perform at our Miami Gala, but also to join the Best Buddies family as a volunteer — is a huge step in the right direction,” he said. “I also appreciate Chris’ generous offer to donate a portion of the proceeds from his tour to Best Buddies. I believe Chris’ fans will be equally inspired to support Best Buddies’ mission to provide opportunities for one-to-one friendships, integrated employment and leadership development for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities once they see his enthusiasm and commitment to the cause — and just how much his efforts mean to our participants.” A source close to Brown said that the singer personally chose the two charities and that his commitment to helping them is not court-ordered. So he is giving back HATERS

Claudia March 9, 2010, 3:10 PM

If God is willing to give second chances, who are we not too. Everyone deserves a second chance if the are truly loking for forgiveness and is trying to repair what damage that they have done. I wish him mush success for his future and my God bless him.