Corey Haim Dead at 38

Former child star Corey Haim has died of a suspected drug overdose. How do we keep our kids off drugs?

corey haim

This morning, we told you that former child star Corey Haim had died of a suspected drug overdose at age 38.

Stories like this one make us worry for our own kids. After all, Corey once had it all: fame, fortune and a promising future. But his long battle with drugs and alcohol took that all away.

This quote from his IMDB biography is chilling: "I was working on 'The Lost Boys' (1987) when I smoked my first joint. But a year before that, I was starting to drink beer on the set of the film 'Lucas' (1986). I lived in Los Angeles in the '80s, which was not the best place to be. I did cocaine for about a year and a half, then it led to crack. I started on the downers which were a hell of a lot better than the uppers because I was a nervous wreck. But one led to two, two led to four, four led to eight, until at the end it was about 85 a day -- the doctors could not believe I was taking that much. And that was just the Valium -- I'm not talking about the other pills I went through."

How do we keep our kids off drugs? Here are some tips for parents, courtesy of D.A.R.E.:

• Tell your children that you love them and you want them to be happy and healthy. Say that you do not find alcohol and other illegal drug use acceptable. Many parents fail to state this simple fact. Explain that drug use hurts people. It can cause AIDS, impaired coordination, slowed growth and emotional harm such as feelings of isolation or paranoia. It is also important to discuss the legal issues associated with drug and alcohol use, because a conviction for a drug offense can lead to prison or the loss of a job or college loan. Talk about positive, drug-free alternatives and explore them together. Some possibilities may include sports, reading, movies, bike rides, hikes, camping and games.

corey haim and corey feldman

• Approach your children calmly and openly and do not exaggerate. Talk face-to-face. Try to understand each other's point of view. Be an active listener and let your child talk about fears and concerns while not interrupting or preaching. Establish an ongoing conversation rather than giving a one-time speech. It is also important that you set an example and avoid contradictions between your words and actions. To help your child deal with peer pressure, act out various situations in which one tries to convince the other to take drugs and come up with at least two ways to handle each situation.

• As parents, be alert to changes in your child's mood. Drug use may cause your child to become more irritable, secretive, withdrawn, overly sensitive or inappropriately angry. In addition, your child may become less responsible by not going to school or coming home late. Watch for changes in friends or lifestyles. Physically, drugs may cause your child to concentrate less, lose coordination and weight and create an unhealthy appearance.

Our thoughts go out to Corey Haim's family in this difficult time.

corey haim and heath ledger

Stars Lost to Drug Overdoses

next: Nationwide Tomato Shortage Caused By Cold Snap
tennmom March 10, 2010, 4:49 PM

I think all we can do is talk, talk, talk and be honest with our kids.
Both of my late-husband’s parents were raging,though functional, alcoholics. Their father loved marijuana.
I’m honest with my kids. I’ve told them several times that due to their family history they HAVE to be careful. Any drug, any alcohol, they are probably going to like it, just as the person who first offers it will tell them.
I try to stress the fact that whatever substance may make them feel “better” at the time but also could ruin their lives.

Anonymous March 10, 2010, 5:35 PM

His death did not surprise me at all.

mercaties March 13, 2010, 12:37 AM

I’am totally heart broken over Corey Haim’s death. As a teen girl (I’am thirty now) I had his posters all over my walls. In the early 90’s I wanted to marry him and my husband wanted to be him. He was truly an Iconic actor for his era and his movies were awesome. It just goes to show how powerful drug addition can be. So So sad.

chase internet banking October 18, 2010, 5:35 PM

Hey, I just hopped over to your site via StumbleUpon. Not somthing I would normally read, but I liked your thoughts none the less. Thanks for making something worth reading.

sniper games October 24, 2010, 7:57 PM

Brilliant, cheers, I will visit again.

Junior Mortellaro October 24, 2010, 11:01 PM

I was just examining this post it is quite well written, My organization is looking around on the internet searching for precisely how to begin this blog thing and your website happens to be really impressive.

Leopoldo Kimbler October 26, 2010, 4:19 PM

Doing it now and being bothered about that later is a quite indefensible tactic.

Taunya Gurry October 27, 2010, 9:58 AM

Looking at your site I am convinced that i may well recognize from the university, did happen to visit Texas Technology? If you ever did remember to shoot myself an email so we can get up to date it’s been a very long time! Look forward to talking to you and pray all will be well with you.

Kathy October 30, 2010, 10:36 AM

This is a very sad story. Drugs take so many lives, yet too many people turn to them for happiness, but they only bring misery. Please learn from this everyone!
lose pregnancy weight

Virgilio Beneduce October 30, 2010, 7:12 PM

I know what I’m talking about when it draws a parallel to.

Sunny Lundburg October 31, 2010, 2:33 AM

Do you follow what the consequences will be?

Pearl Drozd October 31, 2010, 10:41 AM

OK, I’ll bet you’re probably scratching your head just what I might be I’m talking about in relation to that.

free nx codes November 3, 2010, 4:10 PM

Hello

Fawn Hodges November 10, 2010, 9:05 AM

Circles are now focusing on the negative aspects of their.

Morton Meller November 13, 2010, 11:20 AM

Reading your site I am sure i might know from school, probably did happen to attend Texas Technology? In the event you did remember to shoot me an email so we can catch up it’s been a long time! Expect conversing with you and pray most is well with you.

Krysta Walbrecht November 18, 2010, 9:51 AM

Total I believe this really is some thing to contemplate however it may well just be somewhat little bit of base. In my nation we have to honer tremendous people and I’m honoring your publish as I do suppose it can be particularly good.

Matthew C. Kriner November 27, 2010, 7:25 AM

I’m wondering now if we can talk about your sites statistics - search volume, etc, I’m trying to sites I can buy adspace through - let me know if we can talk about pricing and whatnot. Cheers mate you’re doing a great job though.

Roy Ebrahim November 29, 2010, 7:54 PM

I wanted to share with you this morning but that is the perfect opportunity for them to help you with that transaction.

Ruleta December 1, 2010, 2:46 AM

Me English no well, but had to say me like what you say. Thank you from me.

Quinn Zigmond December 2, 2010, 2:06 AM

Various magazines contain coupons that you can use to get discounts on wherever I’ll cover that in a jiffy.