Crack Is Wack: Stop the Sag

"American Idol's" General Larry Platt has gone and inspired a movement!

Stop the sag

New York State Senator Eric Adams can't stand to see pants on the ground. In a YouTube video and in billboards splayed all over Brooklyn, he's imploring today's youth to "raise [their] level of respect by raising [their] pants."

What's he got against this legal brand of crack? He says that because it is a byproduct of prison culture, the image of butt-grazing jeans and exposed underwear conjures a "negative and degrading racial stereotype."

Senator Adams calls this look "unkempt and unnecessary" and urges us to "confront and reject these misrepresentations" because "sagging pants have become a degrading and self-imposed icon ... they follow in a long tradition of negative stereotyping that results in groups being seen in a negative light."

"If we raise our pants, we raise our image," he says.

Just watch the clip for yourself.

What do you guys think? Do you feel there's some truth to his observation? Do raised pants = a raised image? Share your thoughts below!

next: Woman Arrested for Setting Hitmen on Her Father
eder March 30, 2010, 12:18 AM

What would happen if somone said, comb your hair differntly because it makes you look wrong.? What would happen if someone said that you shouldn’t wear b-ball shorts because it shows that maybe you like basketball.wouldn’t that take away your right to express your self.? Why don’t older people understand that saggin is part of our style. In the 1930s “flappers” where a huge issue. They too where criticized a lot. But now we even have girls showing most part of their chest. There’s no difference with this situation. I think that senator should stop worrying about looks & start worrying about other things like people that don’t have anywhere to live in or people that are suffering hunger, maybe he . Our style isn’t affecting anybody but ourselves. Don’t we have a right to choose what we look like and what we want to be? Our level of respect would be way higher if we still sag and we stand for what we want.!!! Why do all adults always say what looks bad and what doesn’t look bad.? People should stop worrying about looks on the real. It doesn’t affect you at all.!!! All this campaign thing is pointless cause it will not change anything, cultures will always grow bigger.!!! P.S I’m a 17 year old guy. And I SAG my pants proudly

C March 30, 2010, 9:37 AM

I’m glad to know that NY state is in such great shape the senators can spend time on trivial B.S. such as this.
What happened to freedom of expression?
I’m not a fan of saggy pants but this is not an issue for the government.

foodhealer.com

Curt March 30, 2010, 11:49 AM

If I were a 15 year-old walking home from school and I saw a 20-foot high billboard of some culturally disconnected state senator advising me as to how to wear my pants, I’m pretty sure I would laugh at the absurdity of this and go about my business. He has made himself a laughing stock for high school kids across the country.

Anonymous March 30, 2010, 3:24 PM

Personally, I love when a guy has his pants sagging, women wear tight jeans so you can see their butts and men wear their pants low. Higher pants= lower street cred. Keep thoes booties out guys ;-)

Silva May 19, 2010, 1:37 PM

While I agree that the style of sagging pants is unappealing, I believe that the style and what we do about it can be viewed from a different perspective. The normal process of development for young people in our society often involves rebellious acts and styles that are not acceptable to adults. I believe that “sagging pants” falls under this category of youthful behavior. Why should we put extraordinary efforts into a campaign that is primarily negative in its delivery? While the message is well-intentioned, I believe the results will be far from positive. It will serve to further polarize our young people from their families and communities at a time when they are already polarized from the larger society because of racism. It will probably gaurantee that more young people will adopt the style! Are we naive enough to believe that all young people have to do is be told to pull up their pants and all their problems will disappear? They will miraculously get better educations, more job opportunities, affordable housing, better healthcare, more respect? I think not. We adults already know what is needed and many are already doing it. Our energies should remain focused on fighting against the true enemies of our people, not our youth. Perhaps then, our youth will pull up their pants willingly, without being publicly scolded and reprimanded.

Ten Tees January 8, 2011, 6:24 PM

Good article. Good and fun reading. I just have one thing to make about funny shirts.