Curious George Almost Killed My Kid

When Curious George showed up at an in-store appearance for story time, kids (and parents) went apesh*t.

curious george

momlogic's momstrosity:
I'm trying. Really. Instead of picking my kid up from preschool and plunking her down in front of the TV while I made dinner, I decided to take her to meet Curious George yesterday. Yes, THE Curious George -- star of the books of the same name. He was appearing at my local Barnes & Noble. My kid is nuts about George. (Or should I say bananas?)

She's not the only one. When we showed up half an hour before showtime, the children's section of the megastore was already crammed with kids and parents.

Much to my little girl's dismay, the big "G" had an opening act which consisted of a tired- looking woman who proceeded to read a few books that Barnes & Noble was no doubt trying to push. In order to be heard over the kids, she had to almost scream her stories.

Finally, the storyteller woman -- her voice hoarse and battered -- introduced Curious George.

He was led in by another staff member/monkey wrangler, and then seated on a bench. George didn't speak (but to be fair, neither does the character in the H. A. Rey books). He did occasionally offer a lackluster wave, though -- which the kids enthusiastically returned.

George was, as my daughter later stated, "enormous" -- certainly not to monkey scale. Had the Man in the Yellow Hat also booked this gig, he would've had to be 25 feet tall.

Then it was photo-op time.

The slightly frazzled monkey wrangler announced that kids could have their picture taken with George. Chaos ensued, and the event started to resemble Altamont (that Rolling-Stones-concert tragedy of 1969). Kids and parents rushed the stage. Some kids were knocked down; some were crying. Parents were pushing through with cameras ready, like paparazzi whose livelihoods depended upon them getting the shot.

It was getting ugly. Parents were shoving their kids toward the monkey, who continued to just sit there, seemingly oblivious to the pandemonium he had created. I pulled Lily from the crowd before she was sucked into the crush.

Is this what most in-store kid events are like? If so, it will be my last.

Especially when I get the gist of it now. As we were escaping the melee, Lily pointed to one of the books on the shelf. "Mommy, I want THAT book," she said. "The book that the lady read."

Damn you, Barnes & Noble.

next: Police: Man Stole TVs from CVS by Hiding it in His Pants
Jake Cole March 1, 2010, 6:58 AM

I’m a teenager (stumble upon) and go to quite a lot of festivals and gigs, which obviously have a ‘crush’ factor when acts take to the stage, but it is nothing, nothing at all, compared to some of the childrens-events I have had the misfortune of accompanying my younger siblings to. I always expected family-orientated stuff to be much safer and people be much more careful with lots of kids around, but its always mayhem.

SAHD's Wife March 1, 2010, 7:40 AM

Who titles these damn blog posts? Curious George did not almost kill your kid - rude, obnoxious parents who have no regard for anyone but their kids did.

Mom Logic - You’re becoming the Enquirer of Mommy blogs - and you’re loosing respect and trust.

Jamie Wagers March 1, 2010, 7:54 AM

I agree with the previous comment. The article title is misleading. It is the parents as well as the stores responsipility. With such a large crowd an orderly system should be in place. This is where I am thankful for my small town, but yes childrens events are typically very large. Our library had Dora visit. They gave everyone a ticket when they arrived. Those with ticket 1 wen downstairs to meet dora while ticket 2 went upstairs to do crafts and then they switched. It was crowded but orderly.

Hazel March 1, 2010, 9:30 AM

It is a business that sales books, yet the writer is shocked and upset the store was promoting a writer selling her books? Come on give us a break, this woman knows that she would be expected to spend some cash.

When she arrived and saw it was crowded, it should have been obvious the potential for chaos would happen…look at the people in the photo…they were more interested in capturing photos and videos than they were in being a real parent and tending to their children.

The only ones to blame here for the children being injured are the parents who stopped being a a parent and did not do THEIR jobs and tend to their children…when it came time to get photos they could have done it in a orderly fashion.

The fact that they did not stop their children from being so loud and obnoxious while the one was reading her books to them showed they had no respect and did not take time to teach their child respect.

It is not the stores responsibility to parent our kids, it was not the writers or the poor person in the hot suits, it was yours as a mother to teach your child.

SAHD's Wife March 1, 2010, 11:03 AM

We were recently in a hotel, they had a sign up that read: The_____hotel is not responsible for the children running through the hallways, or joyriding the elevators. THEIR PARENTS ARE. Please parent your children so the other guests may enjoy their stay. The management.

I’ll stay at that hotel with my 3 kids ANY DAY! It never ceases to amaze me the lack of parenting I see on a daily basis. Even my kids have started to comment on the ill behaved brats we see at malls, stores, eateries, and hotels.

Charlotte March 1, 2010, 12:26 PM

I have never seen an event go like that, that is ridiculous. Sure, the parents should have known better then to push there kid up like that. Everyone can have a turn, you don’t need to be first. But at the same time, the people at the Barnes and Nobel should have been able to organize the event a bit better. I work at Toys’R’Us and I help out in most of the events. Like the easter event coming up, we have an easter bunny and Geoffrey come out, and sure the kids are excited, but we keep it organized.

Anonymous March 1, 2010, 3:59 PM

You’re safer at a rock concert

Chrissy March 1, 2010, 5:06 PM

I agree with SAHD’s Wife.

Angi March 2, 2010, 12:08 AM

We took our two boys to see Clifford at a Barnes and Noble. We had no problem with the kids and parents that were in attendance. They were very patient even when my oldest was unsure about getting his picture with Clifford.

Heather March 2, 2010, 4:08 AM

I’m with SAHD’s wife 100%

Amber Hurd March 2, 2010, 4:14 AM

I agree with SAHD’s comment.

Rosey March 2, 2010, 4:24 AM

LMAO at the end of your article.

We were at Disney World once, and a huge Mickey Mouse took my daughter’s hand (he had a Mickey wrangler with him) and started walking with her…FAR. The crowd, of course, started coming to Mickey in droves, and we were really scared for a second trying to keep up with our daughter in the mob. It was ridiculous, to say the least. She was just a litle thing too…like five.

Callista March 2, 2010, 5:05 AM

I agree with SAHD’s wife. Misleading titles and crazy ones at that are making me less likely to come. I’d like some real helpful articles please.

a realistic mom March 2, 2010, 5:24 AM

momlogic missed the mark by calling it “Curious George almost killed my kid”. Come on now!!!! That’s ridiculous!! “George” didn’t do anything wrong. Parents are responsible for their own children. If Barnes&Nobel had taken George out of the room - - that same mom would have been mad. As far as the size - - - get a grip. Most characters are “adult” sized since that’s who is really inside the COSTUME. Hello - - Mom - - Did you know that? If Mom didn’t like the atmosphere - - it’s really simple…. leave.

Bebe mommy March 2, 2010, 6:09 AM

Seriously??? what a ridiculous title for this article! It was the store’s lack of organization, and the parents fault,acting in such a horrible manner. NOT Curious George’s fault. I will not be reading your news letters anymore. The site’s name is misleading as well. Momlogic?? None of the articles I have read have any ‘logic’ to them. MomGossip or MomB.S. are more appropriate names.

Moni March 2, 2010, 6:30 AM

I completely agree with all the people who have mentioned the misleading title of the articlea nd teh lack of parenting at this event. I have 4 children and have been to many events like this and have never had such a negative experience. I have also been to many Barnes & Noble events that are well organized and fun. It seems this particular event was an outcome of over anxious parents!

Sarah March 2, 2010, 6:46 AM

I’m in total agreement with the previous posters who have voiced their frustration at yet another misleading headline to a Momlogic article. I have seen very little useful content since I subscribed. It’s all sensational gibberish. I hope there aren’t too many parents out there that take any of the info spouted here too seriously and think its credible.

Inkling March 2, 2010, 7:19 AM

In their need for greed, parents of children are becoming excessive in their pursuit of happiness for their child. I’ll NEVER forget the Easter Egg Hunt offered at an Indian Casino one year. They put out that there would be special money prizes that can be used at the stores at the casino. When the rope was lowered for SMALL children to seek the plastic eggs, many were pushed to the side by parents and teens. My son went to grab an egg and was shoved hard by a parent so they could grab it. In reality, there was no money, only discount coupons for the stores. The only thing worth going for was the groups of balloons, (2), and most kids got NO eggs while parents of others were holding full bags of them. All the kids wanted was the thrill of the hunt and the candy inside, but greediness caused a trampling stampede and a lot of upset children and parents whose child got none.

meredith lessard March 2, 2010, 7:32 AM

WOW!!!!!! Curious George DID NOT almost kill your kid!!Careful what you say,you are making it out that a child mentor/ tried to kill you kid,that is also a threat….Ok if you had to pull her out,then where were you,not with your child if she was socalled being killed!Secondly I will have to say this I have 4 kids and it doesn’t matter HOW big something is or if the monkey was 100 feet tall,it was the experence of meeting George.Also you said your child was a Preschooler,hummmm she knows the word Enormous,hummmmm.WOW Momlogic I was here for info on being a parent and Coach to 30+girls not to hear stupid crap like this.Blog Post should really be reviewed before posting..

Erin March 2, 2010, 7:52 AM

Give me a break.

1. Are you looking for a medal for taking your daughter somewhere fun instead of letting her babysit herself in front of the tv?
2. Your daughter must not have been that bored/horrified if she wanted the book she’d been read.
3. What size did you expect George to be? Were you expecting a real monkey, or a child in a costume? Not even worth a mention in the article.
4. Come on, MomLogic, the title AND the story are ridiculous.