Curious George Almost Killed My Kid

When Curious George showed up at an in-store appearance for story time, kids (and parents) went apesh*t.

curious george

momlogic's momstrosity:
I'm trying. Really. Instead of picking my kid up from preschool and plunking her down in front of the TV while I made dinner, I decided to take her to meet Curious George yesterday. Yes, THE Curious George -- star of the books of the same name. He was appearing at my local Barnes & Noble. My kid is nuts about George. (Or should I say bananas?)

She's not the only one. When we showed up half an hour before showtime, the children's section of the megastore was already crammed with kids and parents.

Much to my little girl's dismay, the big "G" had an opening act which consisted of a tired- looking woman who proceeded to read a few books that Barnes & Noble was no doubt trying to push. In order to be heard over the kids, she had to almost scream her stories.

Finally, the storyteller woman -- her voice hoarse and battered -- introduced Curious George.

He was led in by another staff member/monkey wrangler, and then seated on a bench. George didn't speak (but to be fair, neither does the character in the H. A. Rey books). He did occasionally offer a lackluster wave, though -- which the kids enthusiastically returned.

George was, as my daughter later stated, "enormous" -- certainly not to monkey scale. Had the Man in the Yellow Hat also booked this gig, he would've had to be 25 feet tall.

Then it was photo-op time.

The slightly frazzled monkey wrangler announced that kids could have their picture taken with George. Chaos ensued, and the event started to resemble Altamont (that Rolling-Stones-concert tragedy of 1969). Kids and parents rushed the stage. Some kids were knocked down; some were crying. Parents were pushing through with cameras ready, like paparazzi whose livelihoods depended upon them getting the shot.

It was getting ugly. Parents were shoving their kids toward the monkey, who continued to just sit there, seemingly oblivious to the pandemonium he had created. I pulled Lily from the crowd before she was sucked into the crush.

Is this what most in-store kid events are like? If so, it will be my last.

Especially when I get the gist of it now. As we were escaping the melee, Lily pointed to one of the books on the shelf. "Mommy, I want THAT book," she said. "The book that the lady read."

Damn you, Barnes & Noble.

next: Police: Man Stole TVs from CVS by Hiding it in His Pants
AMY SIEVERT ESCOBEDO March 2, 2010, 8:19 AM

hello iam a mother of 5 kids and i have exprensed this before and it is that way all the time you go to most thinks of this kind. It is realy bad to see this happen when it is kids in something like this we i hope it will get better in the long run thank you a concerned mom amy

Signed Really March 2, 2010, 9:08 AM

First of all, stop crying yourself… The Big “G” as you put it didn’t almost kill your kid or any other kid… The parents got excited as well, and pushed their own kids towards him. Stop! You’re just being ridiculous.. That’s how those things go and have always gone like that, and there is always some parent crying wolf that some Character or Famous person tried to kill ones child.. The mall didn’t organize it very well, like always and you as a parent over-reacted as a normal parent would.. So, calm the heck down..

Carol Bowen March 2, 2010, 9:11 AM

My sister & and I took her 2 nieces to a book signing by the author of Fancy Nancy. It was held in a school but you had to purchase the book through a certain book store which was set up at the school They of course had other books of hers too. They gave you a color coded slip of paper. First the author had all the children come up front and read them the story then taught them about there posture and had them to walk around with not books on their heads but bananas. The Kids had a great time then it was time to line up for the signing. They called out the colors which were also posted on the wall and everyone with that color lined up. It went very orderly even though there must have been 500 or more people there. Thank goodness we had chairs to sit on while we waited.

joan olson March 2, 2010, 9:39 AM

OMG I had that happen once to me and vowed never again - But you will as I did if it makes your child happy we do what we can. My kids are older now and just when I thought I was done my nephew has decided I am his entertainment arranger and off to these exciting things again. But in all honesty I love the Big G makes you wonder if he had the man in the yellow hat along would he be on stilts??

Joe Caulfield March 2, 2010, 12:21 PM

I enjoyed the entire article, including the title. The title had just enough mystery in it to attract my attention —

I already had surmised that Curious George was cool. The fault if there is to be a solution was B&N’s lack of crowd control.

The article is funny and I think the author may have a career as a comedy writer. Thanks.

Hev March 2, 2010, 3:28 PM

Why is everyone so serious about this blog? lmbo… Curious George is a cartoon he is not real. The title of the blog was a joke to get the readers attention. Take the sticks out your butt and stop crying. Wow! didnt know people loved Curious George that much.

K March 2, 2010, 4:30 PM

It hardly sounds like Curious George “almost” killed your kid! It should have been the responsibility of the store to have the event set up in a way that there was order not chaos! Shame on B&N for not following through and making it a positive experience. Most of the in store events we attend are calm and well thought out! Better luck next time!

sandra March 2, 2010, 5:21 PM

I agree with SAHD’S wife, damn parents, hey this is the way America acts in events like this, people go crazy, don’t u remember black friday, or even worse at the Apple store, people (stupid , ignorant) waiting on line for hourse to buy a stupid phone, don’t blame Barnes and Noble lady…is us making the stupid moves…

Roxanne March 3, 2010, 12:41 AM

this is my 1st time to come to this site, and i agree that the title is misleading, but to meredith—-both of my children (now 5 & 9) knew the word enormous when they were preschoolers—-i dont see how that is so unbelievable!?!

Yanin March 4, 2010, 11:38 AM

wth? and how did she almost die??this is an dumb exaggerated story…

marisa March 10, 2010, 2:27 AM

I think some readers lack a sense of humor, and may not know what sarcasm is.

Talbotus March 10, 2010, 7:25 PM

Oh yeah damn you Barnes & Noble. Damn you for holding a promo gig where (obviously to everyone) you try to push the sales of books.

Why aren’t you like every other business B&N!?! Most other businesses will hold a promo day or “meet ___” day with out regard to their profits. Every other business in the free world always gives me free stuff for nothing in return.

Sharon March 16, 2010, 7:13 AM

They are not all like that. I assist with a toddler group on Meetup.com called Lollipop Moms. We do a lot events like this one and I’ve never encountered such pandemonium. I have at an outdoor children’s concert where parents had their kids on their shoulders and proceeded to shove their way toward DJ Lance Rock and Brobee.