Goth Christening Dress?!

How to have the creepiest christening. Ever.

goth-dress.jpg

The Bat's Meow, an online store that describes itself as selling "alternative fashion for alternative kids," is living up to its slogan.

Up for sale on the site is a goth christening dress modeled by a creepy doll sitting on (what else?) a gravestone. The dress, which sells for $50, was designed by Sheila Schroeder, self-described mom of "four wee gothlings." Schroeder says the inspiration for her goth baby togs, which also include "bondage pants," was that she felt "weird dressed in my finest Dark Angel, Retail Slut, or Morbid Threads while pushing the stroller containing a glittery-pink little girl."

Maybe Sheila doesn't realize there's gonna come a time when her kids will inevitably rebel against her -- and will insist on wearing only sparkly tutus. Get ready, Sheila!

next: New Beauty Line at ... Payless Shoes
Anonymous March 9, 2010, 7:40 PM

WTH….christening dress??—-that is something right out of a horror movie..people need to step back a little some things need to be left alone!!!!!!!

Lisa R. March 9, 2010, 8:42 PM

It’s a pity how people live vicariously through their children. (I always think this when I see a boy with short hair and a “tail” hanging down his back. That’s the parents, not the kid.) This woman obviously believes she looks too young to have the kids she does. Sounds like she dresses like a 14-yr-old, & now she’s forcing her kids to dress like outcasts, too. She thinks this makes HER look like “the cool mom.” Sad.

Fresno Bob March 10, 2010, 7:10 AM

Jesus doesn’t care what your kids wear….

Brian March 10, 2010, 7:36 AM

It sounds like y’all are worrying way too much about the clothes other folks choose for their kids. The stuff on BatsMeow is fun. Variety is the spice of life.

Anonymous March 10, 2010, 9:09 AM

I’d say it’s people like yourselves that force others to live like outcasts simply because they dress differently than you do.

DGooch

Dad of 4 March 10, 2010, 9:10 AM

You say “right out of a horror movie” like it’s a bad thing. :)

Anonymous March 10, 2010, 9:12 AM

It seems to me that some of you are the once making people feel like ‘outcasts’ simply because you don’t like what they are wearing.

Bink March 10, 2010, 9:12 AM

A kid that small isn’t going to care what it’s wearing, anyway. Chances are it will be miserable during the christening no matter what.

Anonymous March 10, 2010, 9:26 AM

Complaining about what a kid is wearing during a Christening because the parent is forcing the child to wear it… seriously? I’m sure that 20 years later that kid will care about the fashion choices you made for them, but not the religious choices you made for them. Ignorant people always have the best logic.

Bhob March 10, 2010, 9:27 AM

Out of curiosity… do we find it negligent of “normal Moms” to set their children up to fall into the consumerist trap of HAVING to have the latest fashion-herd garbage from American Apparel or BR? Are you not setting your child up for misery by stuffing your oversized bottom into $300 blue jeans and making her think that is what is required of her by society? Give me a break on the hypocrisy, people— at least Ms. Schroeder has the decency and self-confidence to stand apart from the herd and model for her children the bravery it takes to make one’s own choices and to make them publicly, rather than following the wildebeest in front of you because it’s what is expected. You may not agree with her choice, but that doesn’t surprise me— you haven’t considered it.

MagSeven March 10, 2010, 4:55 PM

How many of you ‘normal’ moms live vicariously through your children by forcing your daughters to participate in ‘beauty’ pageants at the whopping age of 4? I suppose that is completely different because Sheila’s lifestyle does not meet your approval.

lanadon March 10, 2010, 6:48 PM

I’m sure the people who find this disturbing are the same people who see no problem with turning their children into an Old Navy, Limited Too, or Baby Gap billboard.

JB March 10, 2010, 8:05 PM

It is wonderful that we can dress our children as we like and have fun at the same time.

ghuda March 10, 2010, 8:17 PM

Why do we, as a human race, feel compelled to stab people for trying something alternative to mainstream?
Who are we to judge them?

Good on you Ms Schroeder and batsmeow

People need to broaden there perspective and stop being judgemental. Does it personally affect them?

Lighten up people - let others with and ounce of adventure look outside the ‘BoX’

Brian March 12, 2010, 9:34 PM

I think Mom Logic has her logic all broken. The point was completely missed…it is a CHRISTENING dress! That means BatsMeow supports the Christian faith. For all you believers, that’s a good thing.

Then again, maybe Mom Logic is a non-believer like me. I find christenings creepy…that dress at least would keep me from snoozing in the back.

C.C. April 1, 2010, 5:23 PM

I think it is extremely judgemental and ignorant of people to make comment on the “mom” skills of someone they have never met,let alone how her children will “rebel” against her in the future..
I agree with MagSeven concerning the parents who live vicariously through their children, weather it be through sports, cheerleading,band or anything else that the parent wished they had excelled at in their past and failed. Ms. Schroder and her children are living their lives, minding their own business,which others should also be doing….If you don’t like the product don’t look at the website.But the personal attacks are totally uncalled for!

Kevin76 November 27, 2010, 2:59 PM

This is not the best dress for the kids to my mind. I don’t actually understand why do we need those cultures like goth or other ones. Where is their sense? I can’t find it. Is everything about strange clothing? I can’t get it. However everyone can express themselves in the way they want. Thanks for the article.

Rick Fitts February 21, 2011, 5:20 PM

This is my favorite site of all time! http://kalskjdsofwoierwrtwetitponfmhphkdgf.com -Rick Fitts

U. Testa February 21, 2011, 5:32 PM

This is my favorite website of all time! http://kalskjdsofwoierwrtwetitponfmhphkdgf.com/fart.html -U. Testa

Shirley March 2, 2011, 12:51 PM

This is your best writing yet!