Hating Rielle Hunter

In my fantasy of the cheated upon (i.e. Elizabeth Edwards), she has escaped to Tahiti and is enjoying tanning and pure pleasure -- while "other woman" Rielle Hunter stays here and takes all of the crap.

rielle hunter

Diana Landen: It's easy to hate Rielle Hunter. She won't "emasculate" John Edwards by telling the truth, but she's happy to publicly slam a dying woman. She justifies her own cruelty with some warped concept of "force fields" of love. Easy to hate her ... but not good for me. I'm trying to figure out why I obsess over her. My husband gets offended: Am I suggesting that he would act like John Edwards? He reminds me that this doesn't have anything to do with my life. But it does.

A good friend of mine from high school -- someone I truly respected -- had an affair with a much younger employee. His marriage broke up, and now he's off somewhere studying massage. According to his Facebook page, he misses his kids but is glad he followed love. I remember the story of how he met his wife and immediately knew that she was the woman for him. Then I remember the years they spent fighting infertility and the old, rundown house they fixed up.

I comfort myself with a fantasy. In my dream world, when a man has a midlife crisis and sleeps with a young woman, the wife gets a six-month vacation. After all, if a man is cheating, his wife must not be meeting his needs, right? Obviously she is tired. Raising children and earning money is a lot of work.

So the cheater sends his beloved wife off to find herself. Spend a month in Paris, sitting in a café? Sure. Hole up in a cabin and write the Great American Novel? Why not? Take a course in drawing nudes, ride horses, dance all night ... just no taking care of other people.

Meanwhile, the floozy moves in to take care of everything. For the first few weeks, she must follow the rules of the household and do everything the wife did. Then, in an evil twist, we let the other woman give the family new rules, the way they do on "Wife Swap." (That always works so well on the show.) No pretty lies about the other woman, either: The kids need to know that she hurt Mom and that she could become their stepmother. (Is that bad for the kids? Well, it's what they would get if Mom and Dad split up for real.) In my fantasy, the floozy never lasts six months. The kids hate her. They treat her the way kids usually treat stepmothers -- badly.

The husband starts to wonder about the other woman's ability to get along with his kids. He can't blame his wife -- who's off climbing the pyramids -- and he can't hide from it, either: His affair is making his kids unhappy. The other woman realizes that this is what life would be like if she married the guy. She decides to run away before it's too late. What about sex? Let them try. Tired, hiding from the kids, fighting over the clogged toilet, morning breath and all ... go right ahead!

Six months later, the happy, refreshed wife breezes in. Does she want to give her husband another chance? In my fantasy, the husband is on bended knee, offering his wife the most heartfelt proposal ever: "Please, come back and take care of our family. Please. I'll romance you and give you gifts and you'll never be tired again. Just come home."

next: Will Sandra Bullock Be Able to See the Kids?
Kristen March 19, 2010, 6:26 AM

HUH?

Ntertainmntguru March 19, 2010, 6:55 AM

When will women like Rielle learn!? Wrecking homes cost not only marriages but it can cost you too. Well Rielle is gonna learn that real soon cuz Elizabeth is about to rake in that cash Rielle posed so hard for, check out the story

Anonymous March 19, 2010, 10:20 AM

As a mediator, I can assure you that unless there’s a sex addiction, cheating is but a mere symptom of other problems in a marriage, rather than the problem itself. And “midlife crisis” is usually not the problem, either ( healthy couples go through that, supportively, together). I think there’s much venom towards Rielle by women because of women’s secret fears that they are the problem in their own relationshps, as I believe Elizabeth was (esp. since there’s so much corroboration from external sources who were subjected to her themselves). Rielle may have been the instrument to cheat with, but she herself didn’t break her vows. MY wrath is still for Elizabeth, who allowed her husband to remain in the campaign after she knew about the affair—she put the country at a terrible risk, and for that I won’t forgive her.

Anonymous March 19, 2010, 11:58 AM

Why do people blame Elizabeth Edwards for what John Edwards did? Do they have perfect marriages?

Anonymous March 19, 2010, 12:01 PM

@mediator - you see people who are getting divorced. Your job is to try to find two sides to it.
Marriage counselor and experts don’t agree on what causes affairs. As far as I can tell, the answer is different for different couples.

Chloe March 19, 2010, 12:09 PM

Loved the article!!! I too am in a happy marriage, have a wonderful husband, and wonder why I’m so obsessed with this story… Hmmmm? God Bless Elizabeth Edwards.

molly March 19, 2010, 1:56 PM

i’m not following this article….i tried i’m sorry! im having a slow day i guess!

Charlene March 22, 2010, 8:26 AM

What is this woman writing about? Useless drivel is what I call it.

michelle March 22, 2010, 9:10 AM

This article is both incoherent and ridiculous. Momlogic, is there a shortage of decent writers out there that I’m not aware of?

Denice Holton July 25, 2010, 10:27 PM

@Kristen -You make a great point

facial cleanser best October 27, 2010, 4:41 PM

I really appreciate your help, it is very useful for me,you will get good grades!

car salesman December 1, 2010, 1:05 PM

Thank you!!!! 1000 times!!!

hello January 19, 2011, 2:56 AM

This is a real right read for me, Must countenance that you are one of the human blogger I ever saw.Thanks for placard this consultative article.
linkwheels

hoolsale45 January 29, 2011, 5:28 AM

Excellent read, I just passed this onto a colleague who was doing a little research on that. And he actually bought me lunch because I found it for him smile So let me rephrase that: Thanks for lunch!
sms

Kristofer Eichstadt February 6, 2011, 5:22 PM

Some really interesting info , well written and broadly speaking user genial .

Red Bull Hats February 16, 2011, 7:25 PM

there a shortage of decent writers out there

metaloni March 20, 2011, 6:36 AM

I would be true thankful if you hap with caliber what you are conveyance moderate now with your leger…I rale enjoyed it…and i genuinely read to you for this….its ever feeling to translate so….Thanks for intercourse!!!
funny quotes

sdfsdgfd April 20, 2011, 5:59 AM

Great Post. I add this Post to my bookmarks.