Hatred After Health Care Reform? Seriously?

I'm sorry, where exactly are all the people who vehemently declared after President Obama's election that we were living in a post-racial America? Please stand up. Seriously.

health care protesters

Kimberly Seals Allers: Let's recap the current state of affairs: The President of the United States passes a historic bill to reform health care in this country and actually save lives -- and protesters resort to allegedly hurling racial slurs at black lawmakers? I won't even mention the choice words being thrown at our nation's Commander in Chief. Protesters, what about the million things that are supposedly wrong with the bill? Why not use those as your sticking points?

It really goes to show how far we have NOT come in this country. Whenever there is passionate disagreement -- which, by the way is a good thing and what makes this country great -- someone somewhere is going to resort to race. It's as if racial bias consistently sits just under the skin of the culture of this country, and if anything slightly irritates or pricks that delicate skin, the ugly truth just comes oozing out.

Then you wonder why I fear for my black children. The reason: I'm in fear of many white parents, who are acting out their racial biases for everyone to see on CNN and YouTube, at Tea Party conventions and on the local news, for crying out loud. What kind of messages are their children getting at home and then bringing to the playground? In fact, the whole health care reform process has been an embarrassing stain on our reputation.

As I watched the drama play out in total SMH mode, I desperately tried to extract a few lessons:

1. The ridiculous myths about death panels and the alleged slippery slide into socialism reminded me how important it is for me to teach my children to be independent thinkers willing to research the facts on their own, rather than have that dangerous herd mentality where people foolishly rally behind buzzwords that speak to their issues and biases.

2. The fact that not one House Republican took a stand for better healthcare said to me that partisan politics was more important than saving lives. I hope my children never lose their humanity in their quest to get ahead. I will remember to remind them of that.

3. And watching the racial slurs and Obama-assassination threats on Twitter (even allegedly from two conservative blacks, no less) reminded me of something my daddy taught me long ago: People who resort to mudslinging and in-the-gutter tactics are desperate and pathetic because they really have nothing of substance to say.

Our post-racial America has a lot of road ahead of it.

Anonymous March 27, 2010, 8:11 AM

I will be taxed heavily as a small business owner and an individual who, after years of hard work and struggling to make the business a success, makes over $250,000/year. I pay out the wahzoo currently for my employees to have health care. Now I get to pay for the country to have health care. Let’s hope the fact that this bill is unconstitutional causes it to die a quick death.

Anonymous March 29, 2010, 2:02 PM

What’s up with all these hand outs for Blacks these days..

perry March 29, 2010, 8:08 PM

these people are ignorant they listen to dumb A** leader of these teabagger. don’t these people know how to read. if they look closer all the lies the leader of tea party are contaminate there mind. i wish they look what it does they might feel dumb. oh i forgot they are dumb. man i hate racism and hatred toward other people. these people are not against his policy. they against black people or monority

Anonymous March 30, 2010, 4:55 AM

Once again Kimberly cries racism where there is none. Unless she can come up with a shocking racist headline no one would read her articles I guess.

I’m a black woman and it disappoints me that people still have to play the racism card. I haven’t seen any racism towards Obama. Just because most of us don’t care for this ridiculous health care bill doesn’t mean we are racists.

Monica April 1, 2010, 10:08 PM

You haven’t seen any racism against Obama? What rock have you climbed out from under? If people aren’t saying it, they are showing it? Are you one of those black people who think that now we have a black president racism is over? Come on? Yeah he got a couple of KKK votes but that doesn’t mean its over. Honestly I don’t see how this bill equates with black folks or minority because everyone is getting hit with a lack of health care. But as you can see there are some people on here who like to think that the health care bill was only written for minorities. Its also for people who can pay for health care but, are getting denied coverage because of pre-existing conditions. Last time I checked rich and poor are getting cancer, diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. Rich and poor children get sick and have chronic illness.

Zora's Mom April 22, 2010, 9:45 AM

To all the self-employed, opting to have no health insurance, “hard working all my life folks”- health inevitably fails sometimes sooner and sometimes later. You complain that you now have to foot the bill for Joe Lazy’s healthcare because you have worked hard and done everything yourself. You are the very ones who drive up the cost of healthcare. It is you and the rest of us taxpayers that must foot YOUR bill when your health fails and you show up to the public hospital wanting care and prescriptions without health insurance. Who pays then? The taxpayers. The whole purpose of taxes is to fund the government whose purpose (check your Constitution) is to maintain the general welfare of its people. Don’t like it? Move. There are plenty of other countries out there who would love to have you.

xingen July 2, 2010, 8:49 AM

I have noticed that ALL the tea partiers are white. What’s with that? Aren’t there any ultra conservitive blacks? In fact, I have noticed that 95% of the republican party (I like to call them Pubies for short) are white. Hmmm. Does that tell us something?
They all look like well fed, well to do people. I think the best thing we could do for our congress people of the Republican bent is to take away the free health care they get and see how loud they crow about the unfairness of a health care-less world.

And for the record—unless you are a NAtive American, like me, you are ALL decended from IMMIGRANTS!!

Missjoy816 July 9, 2010, 6:43 AM

Monica and ECP i totally agree!

Missjoy816 July 9, 2010, 6:48 AM

Monica and ECP i totally agree!