My Guests Loved My Breast Milk Risotto

Don't knock it until you try it!

breast milk risotto

Dr. Wendy Walsh: Before I tell you this funny story, know this: Breast milk is the perfect human food. It is manufactured specifically to match the nutritional needs of a Homo sapiens and its high-quality protein would be coveted by bodybuilders if ever it were on the market.

Here's what breast milk is not: a bodily waste product. Breast milk is not urine! Having said that, many grownups have an aversion to even the thought of drinking human breast milk, because they feel it carries unwanted bacteria. Well, guess what? The breast milk that comes from cows, goats and sheep has far more potential for harm before it is homogenized. Homogenized means "made fit for humans," and it is simply a process where animal milk is heated to a level that kills most of the live bacteria. If you heat any animal product -- meat, eggs, dairy -- to 165 degrees, you make it safe to consume.

Okay, now that we have the science straight, let's move on to my social faux pas. When my oldest daughter was a baby, I had a fridge full of breast milk. My vegetarian "babydaddy" had experienced great intestinal illness himself as an infant due to reactions to commercial baby formula, and would not allow even one ounce of cow product to enter our angel daughter's system. And yes, as an adult, he also liked to have the odd sip of human breast milk (usually from the source).

One night, while my brother was visiting from Canada with his girlfriend (both are parents), I was making my favorite rich mushroom risotto, something I like to finish with a little fresh cream. I asked my partner to pass me some cream from the fridge. With a devilish smirk on his face, he dumped a four-ounce bottle of breast milk into my steaming pot, faster than I could open my mouth. The worst part was that my guests had seen this, too. So I couldn't lie about it.

We all laughed for a few minutes, and I asked my brother and his guest what we should do with the pot of risotto. My brother -- ever the practical one, and also quite hungry at the time -- assured me that the temperature of the pot made the milk sufficiently homogenized and that he, for one, was ready to eat dinner. His girlfriend agreed, and we all had a lovely meal. Upon her return to Canada, our lady guest included in her thank-you note a wish for my amazing risotto recipe -- although, she noted, it's sad that she'd have such a hard time finding all the ingredients.

next: The Price You Pay For Being Romantic...
Dara March 15, 2010, 5:32 AM

When I was nursing I thought of my breastmilk as liquid gold (for the baby)- I’d be fuming if my husband wasted it on company!

C March 15, 2010, 6:20 PM

You mean to use the word PASTEURIZED not HOMOGENIZED. Look them up.

Anonymous March 15, 2010, 7:25 PM

I just threw up in my mouth! The thought of your brother eating it to is beyond belief but if it was just you and your husband it would of been fine

Gail Cooke March 15, 2010, 9:29 PM

While some of Canadians are apparently more free with sharing someone else’s bodily fluids..this Canadian is not. That made me sick to my stomach..and I don’t think I’ll look at risotto quite the same. Quite frankly I don’t want to ingest another female’s body secretions, no matter how pasteurized it is, thanx so much. While sharing the info that that your vegetarian babydaddy couldn’t have cow milk baby food, it’s TMI (too much information). I don’t care if he was allergic to air, there’s no reason for him to punish your child for it (not saying breastmilk is bad at all, but it implies that he is wielding his vegetarian fist to make sure your child doesn’t). You’d think that you’d want to keep that kind of thing to yourself instead of inflicting it on other people…do you share that story at the office? Where does Momlogic get you people anyway? Not to mention the story was pointless. Pointless other than THANK GOD I don’t know you and I’ll never experience the horror of going to your house for dinner. Breastmilk yoghurt anyone? *shiver*

Jeff Prager March 16, 2010, 3:40 AM

Just a dumb attempt at producing quality editorial with value. In fact even if you weren’t looking for value it was dumb.

Jeff Prager
Founder & Publisher - Retired
Senior Magazine

Anonymous March 16, 2010, 3:59 AM

Not only do I think that this is gross but aren’t you alittle too old to be having a “baby daddy”. It doesn’t make you sound young or hip to say that. It just makes you sound uneducated. Please refer to him as either your bf or husband.

Anonymous March 16, 2010, 7:44 AM

Nasty, plain and simple. Unless you had a thermometer in the pot you have zero idea if the milk was brought to the appropriate temperature for the appropriate amount of time. And your brother, drinking YOUR breastmilk - gross. Baby-daddy taking breast milk from the source - someone has an infantilization issue….

Diane H. March 16, 2010, 8:36 AM

Dr. Walsh said, “Okay, now that we have the science straight, let’s move on to my social faux pas.” Unfortunately, it appears she made a scientific faux pas as well. ‘Homogenized’ milk has had the fat evenly dispersed so it will not separate. Perhaps she meant to say ‘pasteurized’ (named for Louis), meaning to heat to a specific temperature for a *specific period of time* to reduce the number of potential pathogens. I’ve never read momlogic articles before today, and, after reading Dr. Walsh’s contribution, I’m now skeptical as to how much I can trust the information I find here.

mememe March 16, 2010, 11:15 AM

i don’t see how some animals milk that animal made in herself to feed her baby cow or goat is acceptable to you as food and human milk is gross. You are so far away from natural that you don’t even see it. Cows milk is for baby cows. Egg is chickens ovum, potential fetus. All of that is acceptable as food and human milk for humans isn’t? then go and buy yourself some baby cows’ food.

deaddrift March 16, 2010, 1:32 PM

Every one of the good doctor’s posts is more bizarre and troubling than the last.

Beach March 16, 2010, 4:53 PM

While I might find it weird to have some of my sister’s breast milk. It’s CERTAINLY no stranger than drinking the milk of a different species, and far more natural, at that. If anything, you should be more comfortable drinking the milk of a human, which is MEANT FOR HUMANS rather than drinking the “secretions” (as you put it) of a cow, goat or whatever other farm animal you drink the fluids of.

e March 16, 2010, 4:54 PM

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

uh March 16, 2010, 5:09 PM

grosssss

Anonymous March 16, 2010, 5:15 PM

Wow, this article has been up for over 24 hours now and the glaring error in her ‘science’ has not been fixed. I, too, am wondering about how much I can trust information from momlogic.

useyourbrain March 16, 2010, 5:42 PM

PEOPLE, READ THE DESCRIPTION ABOUT THE AUTHOR. You can be a doctor in many things, and many of them don’t involve knowledge of chemistry, or the production of milk for that matter. You certainly wouldn’t begrudge a doctor of psychology for this simple word mistake? a doctor of economics? mathematics?

Gail Cooke March 16, 2010, 5:43 PM

Beach: I’m not sorry that I would have issues consuming another female’s bodily fluids. If you want to use someone’s breast milk..hey, do what you need to do..just know that it’s currently not a socially acceptable thing. It’s been many, many, many moons since I’ve had to derive sustanance from a female human being’s breast and I’d just rather keep it that way. The thought of it is grotesque to me. As for cow’s milk..yep, you’re right that it is a “secretion” from another animal…but somehow it doesn’t make me gag as much as the thought of some random human pumping out milk from her teats and offering it for public consumption. Women aren’t common herd/food animals put on this earth for adults to consume her breast milk. But like I said, if you feel the need, you go girl…I celebrate your carefree standards in regards to food consumption.

Darla Siereveld March 16, 2010, 5:58 PM

I breast fed my son, it is good for your baby.
But I would never think of making something out of it for other people to eat, that is nasty…….
My husband didnt even want to taste my breast milk,,,,,,,,,,,,, FOR THE BABY ONLY !!!
Darla,Siereveld

Heather March 16, 2010, 6:04 PM

I so enjoyed this article by Dr Walsh.
I feel a mature and healthy society will celebrate such creativeness.
Wonderful!

Gail Cooke March 16, 2010, 6:50 PM

Well Heather, I’d rather have Whole Milk than Ho’ Milk.

Anne March 17, 2010, 12:05 AM

The only issue I have with this article is the attribution of the name “babydaddy” - ridiculous IMO.

HOWEVER, all the people (men?) who have an issue with this use of breast milk are frankly, infantile. For one thing, she didn’t use it on purpose…and her guests had the choice whether to eat it or not.

Secondly, if her husband/boyfriend/partner(?) likes to taste her breast milk (presumably during their love-making), who cares? Puh-lease, I am guessing maybe she and her lover wouldn’t want to imitate something you do during your love-making? That’s a personal preference, and pretty common with breast-feeding moms, as far as I can tell.

Grow up people.