Facebook Status Update: I'm Having Sex!

A new study says that people will interrupt anything -- even sex -- to respond to an electronic message.

momlogic's Momstrosity: The latest study on social-media usage says that increasingly more ... wait, hold on, I just got a text ....

OK, I'm back. Sorry about that. Anyway, the latest news from the social-media front is that people are more addicted to their electronic devices than ever. The proliferation of "smart phones" has users responding to IMs, texts and e-mails and updating their status anytime, anywhere. Oh, that reminds me -- I need to update my Facebook status with this: "Writing a post for momlogic."

OK. Done. Again, I apologize.

Where was I? Ah, yes: the study. It says that a large percentage of men and women don't mind being interrupted by electronic messages during meals, while they're sitting on the toilet or even while they're having sex. One in 14 said that they would even respond to a message DURING sex (and that stat jumped to one in ten among those who were under 25). Earlier this year, Retrevo revealed that a whopping 36 percent of people under 35 admitted to checking Facebook, texting or tweeting right after sex.

It's only going to get worse.

Do you mind being interrupted ...

(LOL, I just got a hilarious comment on my status from this woman I can't really remember I went to high school with!)

... by electronic messages? How about when you're having sex?

next: 1-Year-Old Happy Meal Doesn't Age
Anonymous March 18, 2010, 1:26 PM

That is just terrible. I must be “old fashioned” i’m 28 and there is nothing that annoys me more that being interrupted because of a text or trying to talk to someone who is fiddling with their phone. It’s quite sad in fact- regardless of how useful our phones have become, a tweet, status update or even an email is not that important in the greater scheme of things.

Im very happy ( so is my husband) that there are some things that are left outside the bedroom :)

Black Iris March 18, 2010, 2:18 PM

If someone interrupts sex to check Facebook, it’s time to stop. Leave them high and dry.

ken_v2 March 18, 2010, 6:38 PM

Wowww….

“One in 14 said that they would even respond to a message DURING sex (and that stat jumped to one in ten among those who were under 25).”

Seven to ten percent would actually do that…. Unbelievable.

eric March 19, 2010, 7:26 AM

Im 21, and I hate being interrupted by texts, whether theyre mine or someone Im talking to/sexing with. Its very irritating, especially if the other person decides to text back when Im talking to them. So far according to these comments, personal contact - 4, electronics - 0

fred March 21, 2010, 11:37 PM

Anyone who can locate and operate a cellular phone during sex is doing it wrong.

Trexi March 22, 2010, 4:27 AM

I think its getting better, I and my partner have no issues on interruption while sex.

SEX is not everything in life. There are more important things. People have sex so often and even then if they feel irritated, heheh, may god help them gain control over their desires.

Linette Mannheim July 25, 2010, 10:17 PM

I agree with you, but do you think its really accurate?

tabliczki informacyjne April 2, 2011, 3:47 AM

It is perfect time to make some plans for the future and it’s time to be happy. I’ve read this post and if I could I wish to suggest you few interesting things or advice. Perhaps you could write next articles referring to this article. I want to read more things about it!