It's Your Fault Your Kid Is Violent

I am sorry to be a buzzkill, but it is not cute or funny when your kid points a gun at me and shoots (even if it is a toy)!

kid with toy gun

Mary Poppins: Imagine my surprise when I walk into your house to find a gun pointed at me in the hands of your 5-year-old. Maybe I'm being overdramatic -- I know some of you will think so -- but there is just something unsettling about a little kid yelling, "BAM! BAM! YOU'RE DEAD!" at you when you walk in the door.

However, what is even more unsettling is your laughter coming down the hallway when you say, "Oh, we just bought little Johnny that this weekend and it's his absolute favorite toy now." I'm sorry, but lady: You are S.T.U.P.I.D. You gave your child a weapon -- now, yes it's not loaded -- but, seriously, a gun? For a kindergartner? I get that it's all the rage now to be violent with all these dumb games, movies and cartoons that promote violence, but COME ON! He is running around shooting everything and everyone. I'm sure there was no discussion about gun safety and how dangerous and utterly tragic a gun can actually be. I mean, he is only 5; he wouldn't even be able to process that.

The worst part in all of this is your absolute inability to see what you are doing to your child. Just last week you were talking to me about how tragic all these school shootings are, and where were the parents when their kids were out shooting people? Well, Mommy Dearest, I'd say they were in Toys R Us, Aisle 5 picking out a toy gun. Maybe you saw them there?

Needless to say, once you left, the gun was put away and Johnny was clear on the fact that when I'm around, the guns will not be part of our playtime.

next: Dad Reads to Daughter 3,218 Nights in a Row
Kristen March 23, 2010, 6:13 AM

I agree 100% with this article. We do NOT promote violence in our home and that means we DO NOT give our sons toy guns. Yes boys will run around with their finger pointed like a gun but we try to explain that this is not nice and real guns are dangerous and not toys. We want our sons to have respect for themselves and each other and teaching them violence with toys and video games is not the way to do it.

Anonymous March 23, 2010, 10:40 AM

I think the point of this article is S.T.U.P.I.D. Just because kids role play on the side of the bad guy with a gun doesn’t mean they’re gonna grow up to shoot up schools. Kids learn good and bad by imitation and role playing. Maybe my kid wants to be the bad queen in Snow White today instead of the princess. Does that mean she’s gonna grow up to poison people one day? It’s our job to educate our children about how to treat others. That includes a conversation about the dangers of guns. Now, I don’t agree with the behavior of the little boy in this article simply because it’s rude behavior. I do agree that a child’s ability to view violent entertainment should be avoided altogether. I played with cap guns my whole life and never once thought about shooting others with a real gun. My father owned several guns. We were STRESSED the dangers of real guns from an early age, but were never scolded for our innocent childhood imaginations. We were just simply nurtured and taught appropriate behavior in society.

nikki March 23, 2010, 10:41 AM

oh please! just because a child plays with a water gun or any other gun shaped toy does NOT mean he’s headed for a life of crime and mayhem. if you actually HAD a son instead of doing babysitting duty, then you’d know that even if you don’t BUY a toy gun it’s very likely that a child will quickly use his fingers, crayola markers, drum sticks, tree sticks and just about any other object and pretend that it’s a [gasp!!!!] gun. it’s what some boys do when they’re playing and pretending.

get over it.

nikki March 23, 2010, 10:43 AM

get over it.

tennmom March 23, 2010, 10:53 AM

Have we not heard about the kids being shot and killed by police because the toy gun they had looked real?
A water gun is a bit different but I disagree with any kid pointing a gun at someone & “killing” them.
I don’t let my daughters wave the toy knife from their play kitchen and tell people they are going to slash their throats with it.

Mandy March 23, 2010, 2:32 PM

I don’t know… It’s a sad state we live in with all the crazies shooting and killing people these days… But I was raised (and I’m still in my 20’s, so not all that long ago) with toy guns playing cops and robbers and those fake knives where the blade goes in when you ‘stab’. And you better believe there were many ‘murders and suicides’ between my friends and I performing! To us, it was using our imagination…

Perhaps even taking away the stigma? Because unlike some kids who want to try things that they were forbidden, I could care less about a gun or knives, and actually ran FAR from anyone who were showing off their pocket knife becuase it was ‘so new and cool’!

The effect was, when we used a fake gun to ‘fake kill’ someone, we had PARENTS in those days who explained that a real gun has REAL results! And knew better.

And with all of my toy murders and suicides under my belt… Would you believe I go out of my way to kill a bug?

No connection as long as parents are there to be the parents and that a toy and a real gun are 2 different things!!!

Mandy March 23, 2010, 2:32 PM

*** Go out of my way to NOT kill a bug! unfortunate typo…..

Mike March 23, 2010, 3:06 PM

Glad you laid the law down, Miss Mary. If I were the parent / your employer in this case, I would have accepted your resignation on the spot because YOU don’t tell ME what the rules are in my house. I would have fired you but having employed a few nannys in the past, getting your resignation would have been preferable as most nannys are experts at getting unemployment compensation under almost every imaginable situation, including when they get fired for doing stupid things.

michelle March 24, 2010, 9:36 AM

Thank you for writing this. Amazing how many parents refuse to see the connection between our disgustingly violent society and the way we encourage kids to play. They are all “I played with guns and I didn’t grow up to be a criminal.” That actually means nothing and is an excuse to give up on actually providing moral guidance. We have a strict no-toy-gun policy in our house. That doesn’t mean our kids can’t express themselves — they will still pretend that another household item is a gun — but it does send a clear message on what our values are.

Megan March 30, 2010, 12:41 AM

I actually agree with this, although when I was a child I most definitely would not have. When I was growing up my Mum would not let me or my siblings have toy guns or water guns. She didn’t believe in having violent toys or promoting violence. I hated it when I was younger but now I have to say I think it was a very good idea.

Hannah April 7, 2010, 1:54 PM

My parent never allowed us to play with toy guns or video games with guns. My dad was the protective one about that (to me that means more since boys are usually the ones playing guns). His reason? My grandpa (the greatest grandpa ever :D) was in world 2 and knew the power of a gun. When dad was growing up grandpa always told him you don’t ever point a gun unless your intending to kill whatever your pointing at. Not even in a game. A gun is NEVER a toy. Now if my dad had wanted to learn to hunt grandpa would have let him. So long as he was actually hunting and not PLAYING with the gun. Grandpas theory was a gun should not be pointed at something that your not willing to pull the trigger on. No matter what. I totally agree. Killing is not a game. I find it freaky when a kid points a toy gun at me. No matter who im babysitting or when im working at the daycare the rule is always no guns. They aren’t even allowed to pretend their legos are guns (yes one little boy mad a gun out of legos).

Ulysses Rivas July 25, 2010, 10:20 PM

@Jeff I totally agree with you

Gee27 November 24, 2010, 9:30 AM

Hey, nothing wrong in giving a child a toy gun. I had tons and loved to play those kind of games. He will grow out of it and move on to something new. Cheap Calgary Hotels

Tragamonedas November 30, 2010, 6:52 PM

Not easy to say thank you, me english not so excellent - but these really good. Good read to practice English.

Panama Bridge Real Estate December 2, 2010, 8:31 AM

It is nice to definitely dig up a website where the blogger is level-headed. Thanks for creating your blog.

Bridge Real Estate December 2, 2010, 10:58 AM

I usually don’t usually post on many another Blogs, nevertheless I just has to say thank you… keep up the amazing work. Ok regrettably its time to get to school.

Bridge Real Estae Panama December 2, 2010, 11:46 AM

I am brand-new to blogging and actually enjoyed your website. I am going to bookmark your web site and keep checking you out. Thanks for sharing your web site.

Panama December 3, 2010, 4:49 PM

I recently came across your website and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my very first remark. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this website very often.

Bienes Raices Btesh Virzi December 4, 2010, 2:05 AM

There is evidently a lot for me to ascertain outside of my books. Thanks for the fantastic read,

Casey Helmlinger December 9, 2010, 12:22 PM

You can consider me in for a Digg. Thanks for posting this on your site!