Jennie Garth Helps Kids Learn to Love Veggies

Getting kids to eat veggies is as easy as getting them to clean their rooms without asking about 500 times. That's right: not easy at all.

jennie garth

momlogic's Vivian: But yesterday, actress, mom of three and Hidden Valley Ranch spokeswoman Jennie Garth kicked off HVR'sLove Your Veggies campaign and web series with "Veggie Central," an interactive event at Grand Central Station in New York City. Garth -- along with The Organic Gardener, Jeanne Pinsof Nolan -- gave demos to a group of schoolkids, graciously sharing laughs, signing autographs and patiently answering every question they had to ask. She then hunkered down to share her mommy how-tos and personal stories about how she "vegges out" with her kids with the likes of us.

First off, it's important to know that Garth actually practices what she preaches, having had her personal share of gardening experience. "My father-in-law, Peter's [Facinelli] dad, comes out every spring and helps us plant. It's not a huge garden, but we grow tomatoes and lettuce right in our front yard. I grew up on a farm where we grew a lot of our own food. The girls really like to get in there and get their hands in the dirt. It changes their perspective on vegetables and helps to get the vegetables into them."

She admits to her own challenges in getting her three daughters to eat their veggies.
Says Garth, "They're kids, and every five minutes, their tastes change. I served broccoli, and one of my daughters was like, 'Broccoli? I don't eat broccoli,' --when she ate it last week. I try and go with the flow and focus on the importance of taking care of themselves. When they reach a certain age -- 10, 11 or 12 -- you can hand over the choices to them a little bit more. I always say, 'Do you want to be healthy and fit, or do you want to be unhealthy and have no energy?' I just give them simple choices and let them start making those choices slowly. My daughter [Luca] is 12, and is an athlete. She's involved in every sport the school provides. She loves junk like gnocchi and I tell her, 'If you eat gnocchi, bad things are going to happen.' We joke about it, but I just try and be as real with my kids as I can without giving them any kind of body complex, or emphasizing diets or fads. We really try not to do that and make it about being healthy, fit and having a lot of energy -- teaching them straight-up about that stuff."

jennie garth

She encounters the same challenges we do when it comes to packing a healthy school lunch, but says her strategy is removing the less-healthy options her kids might pull toward. "If they want processed food, they'll find a way to get it from their friends," she says. "But I think if you give them fewer options and less sweet, processed, packaged junk food, they will eat what you give them. Give them a fruit, a vegetable and a protein, whether it's a sandwich, tofu or cheese sticks -- something."

Another great way to show your kid that veggies are tasty? Garth is a big believer in the family dinner -- even with all the traveling she and her husband ["Twilight" and "Nurse Jackie" actor Peter Facinelli] have to do. Says Garth, "Family dinners, I think, are a lost art because our society is so busy. But it's a no-brainer. In our house, we have family dinner together every night, whether we have to wait for my oldest to get home from her sports, or if my husband's across the country shooting something, we'll Skype him and he'll eat with us. It's not even about trying, it's about doing it."

And finally, when it comes to cultivating a love of vegetables, sometimes leading by example does work. "The other day I made spinach for myself -- I sauteed it," Garth says. "I was eating it, and my 7-year-old asked if she could try it. And she loved it! She ate the whole thing. It's weird -- you have to keep trying. Keep veggies accessible and eventually they'll try them."

next: You May Be Making Your Kids Obese!
Jean March 14, 2010, 6:05 AM

I love the TickleMe Plant. It moves like the plant in Avatar.
The leaves instantly close and even the branches droop when Tickled! It is amazing that now anyone can grow this tropical wonder indoors year round in the TickleMe Plant Greenhouse. They even have TickleMe Plant Party favors! If your house plant doesn’t move when you Tickle It - grow one. See how interactive it is here http://www.ticklemeplant.com

adelaide dancing March 14, 2010, 4:39 PM

lots of great wisdom in this post, thanks for sharing, great also to see someone who is so famous being such a great role model too!

Jeffrey Sobenes July 25, 2010, 10:24 PM

I agree with you, but do you think its really accurate?

diazepam December 1, 2010, 3:10 PM

I just came across this blog I was I am getting a 404 page not found when trying to access other posts I hope it gets fixed. Thanks

Concrete Flower Bed Borders December 11, 2010, 12:17 AM

The solution is to gradually become free of societal rewards and learn how to substitute for them rewards that are under one’s own powers. This is not to say that we should abandon every goal endorsed by society; rather, it means that, in addition to or instead of the goals others use to bribe us with, we develop a set of our own.

Cinthia Mcgurren December 20, 2010, 7:33 AM

This page appears to get a great deal of visitors. How do you get traffic to it? It offers a nice unique spin on things. I guess having something authentic or substantial to post about is the most important factor.

produse slabit December 27, 2010, 5:56 AM

I was beeing looking the google for such info and just wanted to thank u for the post. By the way, just off topic, where can i get a copy of this theme? – Thanks

Amy Hartle December 28, 2010, 7:02 PM

Wow! Thank you! I continuously needed to write on my site something like that. Can I include a portion of your post to my website?

washington state income taxes 2011 January 21, 2011, 11:48 PM

Most people, when they criticize, whether they like it or hate it, they’re talking about product. That’s not art, that’s the result of art. Art, to whatever degree we can get a handle on (I’m not sure that we really can) is a process. It begins in the heart and the mind with the eyes and hands.

wall shelves decorative January 31, 2011, 11:30 AM

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship and gives us many useful objects such as wickerwork picnic baskets. Imagination without skill gives us modern art.

Vi Degrand February 6, 2011, 7:34 AM

Awsome info and right to the point. I don’t know if this is really the best place to ask but do you guys have any ideea where to hire some professional writers? Thanks :)

Robin February 7, 2011, 11:02 PM

cannabis seeds : Marijuana seeds from all the top seed banks from less than $5 a seed!

Ideas For 21St Birthday Party February 17, 2011, 6:21 AM

He can compress the most words into the smallest ideas of any man I ever met.

orkiestry weselne February 19, 2011, 2:12 AM

I never knew there are so many international readers here…

Rosina Drapeaux February 20, 2011, 7:12 PM

Very efficiently written article. It will be useful to everyone who usess it, as well as myself. Keep doing what you are doing - looking forward to more posts.

Pharmk190 February 24, 2011, 1:21 PM

Hello! eafcgkd interesting eafcgkd site!

japanese singles February 25, 2011, 5:21 PM

When are you going to post again? You really entertain a lot of people!

Shandi Almanzar February 26, 2011, 11:12 AM

We so appreciate your website post. You will find lots of approaches we could put it to proper use with the help of minimal effort with time and capital. Thank you so much for helping make the post respond to many queries we have got before now.

Wasserbetten Test February 26, 2011, 11:37 AM

Thanks for the beneficial information! We wouldn’t have found this on my own!

kurs wizaż February 26, 2011, 2:10 PM

It is the best time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I’ve read this post and if I could I wish to suggest you few interesting things or suggestions. Maybe you could write next articles referring to this article. I wish to read more things about it!