Jennie Garth Helps Kids Learn to Love Veggies

Getting kids to eat veggies is as easy as getting them to clean their rooms without asking about 500 times. That's right: not easy at all.

jennie garth

momlogic's Vivian: But yesterday, actress, mom of three and Hidden Valley Ranch spokeswoman Jennie Garth kicked off HVR'sLove Your Veggies campaign and web series with "Veggie Central," an interactive event at Grand Central Station in New York City. Garth -- along with The Organic Gardener, Jeanne Pinsof Nolan -- gave demos to a group of schoolkids, graciously sharing laughs, signing autographs and patiently answering every question they had to ask. She then hunkered down to share her mommy how-tos and personal stories about how she "vegges out" with her kids with the likes of us.

First off, it's important to know that Garth actually practices what she preaches, having had her personal share of gardening experience. "My father-in-law, Peter's [Facinelli] dad, comes out every spring and helps us plant. It's not a huge garden, but we grow tomatoes and lettuce right in our front yard. I grew up on a farm where we grew a lot of our own food. The girls really like to get in there and get their hands in the dirt. It changes their perspective on vegetables and helps to get the vegetables into them."

She admits to her own challenges in getting her three daughters to eat their veggies.
Says Garth, "They're kids, and every five minutes, their tastes change. I served broccoli, and one of my daughters was like, 'Broccoli? I don't eat broccoli,' --when she ate it last week. I try and go with the flow and focus on the importance of taking care of themselves. When they reach a certain age -- 10, 11 or 12 -- you can hand over the choices to them a little bit more. I always say, 'Do you want to be healthy and fit, or do you want to be unhealthy and have no energy?' I just give them simple choices and let them start making those choices slowly. My daughter [Luca] is 12, and is an athlete. She's involved in every sport the school provides. She loves junk like gnocchi and I tell her, 'If you eat gnocchi, bad things are going to happen.' We joke about it, but I just try and be as real with my kids as I can without giving them any kind of body complex, or emphasizing diets or fads. We really try not to do that and make it about being healthy, fit and having a lot of energy -- teaching them straight-up about that stuff."

jennie garth

She encounters the same challenges we do when it comes to packing a healthy school lunch, but says her strategy is removing the less-healthy options her kids might pull toward. "If they want processed food, they'll find a way to get it from their friends," she says. "But I think if you give them fewer options and less sweet, processed, packaged junk food, they will eat what you give them. Give them a fruit, a vegetable and a protein, whether it's a sandwich, tofu or cheese sticks -- something."

Another great way to show your kid that veggies are tasty? Garth is a big believer in the family dinner -- even with all the traveling she and her husband ["Twilight" and "Nurse Jackie" actor Peter Facinelli] have to do. Says Garth, "Family dinners, I think, are a lost art because our society is so busy. But it's a no-brainer. In our house, we have family dinner together every night, whether we have to wait for my oldest to get home from her sports, or if my husband's across the country shooting something, we'll Skype him and he'll eat with us. It's not even about trying, it's about doing it."

And finally, when it comes to cultivating a love of vegetables, sometimes leading by example does work. "The other day I made spinach for myself -- I sauteed it," Garth says. "I was eating it, and my 7-year-old asked if she could try it. And she loved it! She ate the whole thing. It's weird -- you have to keep trying. Keep veggies accessible and eventually they'll try them."

next: You May Be Making Your Kids Obese!
facebook layout generator March 13, 2011, 2:11 PM

That fantabulous post this has been. Within no way seen this kind associated with useful post. I’m grateful to you and anticipate much more associated with posts such as. Thank you very much.

webhosting preisvergleich March 13, 2011, 10:52 PM

Totally digg your website thanks a lot for the info

Alex Harn March 14, 2011, 12:10 AM

There are definitely plenty of details like that to take into consideration. That could be a great level to bring up. I supply the thoughts above as common inspiration however clearly there are questions just like the one you carry up where an important factor will probably be working in sincere good faith. I don?t know if greatest practices have emerged around things like that, but I’m positive that your job is clearly recognized as a good game. Both girls and boys really feel the impression of only a moment’s pleasure, for the rest of their lives.

Imelda Zaro March 14, 2011, 4:04 PM

Hey all..! Everyone ought to take the time to publish posts as good as this one and never saturate the web with nothing!.!. and thus, I am going to share this with all of my friends.! and also, Many thanks for the clarifying article content this detailed data quite usefull.! and also, Continue the great work…!

Brianna Ormes March 15, 2011, 11:11 PM

You have noted very attention-grabbing points ! ps tight web web site here.

Butik Online Murah March 16, 2011, 2:25 AM

Hi there just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The text in your post seem to be running off the screen in Safari. I’m not sure if this is a formatting issue or something to do with browser compatibility but I figured I’d post to let you know. The design and style look great though! Hope you get the problem solved soon. Many thanks

מעוניינים לרכוש מתנות לקרובים? אתר allgifts הוא הכתובת שלכם, עם מאות מתנות מפתיעות, שלא תמצאו בשום מקום אחר.

malaysian dating chatroom March 16, 2011, 8:51 PM

Howdy just wanted to give you a brief heads up and let you know a few of the pictures aren’t loading properly. I’m not sure why but I think its a linking issue. I’ve tried it in two different web browsers and both show the same outcome.

Jeanette Diorio March 17, 2011, 6:42 AM

oversize log you’ve accept

BioBasics March 17, 2011, 1:40 PM

When I received Del. Millers e-mail, I wrote a long response mainly to poke a point about the Moral part of our City Code. I had included our great City Clerk in the Cc asking it to be passed to the Mayor, the Council and anyone else in City Hall she saw fit to do.

Life Plus March 17, 2011, 6:08 PM

Normally I find blogs through the comments that other blogger leaves on those blogs, and so it adds to it.

ballroom dance steps March 17, 2011, 8:40 PM

Großer Pfosten! Dank für das Nehmen der Zeit, etwas zu schreiben, das wirklich wert Messwert ist. Zu häufig finde ich unbrauchbares Info und nicht etwas, das wirklich relevant ist. Dank für Ihre harte Arbeit.

ssk prim sorgulama March 18, 2011, 8:00 AM

I just couldnt leave your website before telling you that we really enjoyed the quality information you offer to your visitors… Will be back often to check up on new posts

liseli March 18, 2011, 2:38 PM

Can i use rss feed of your website?

cottages cornwall March 18, 2011, 3:28 PM

Hello there, simply became aware of your weblog via Google, and located that it’s really informative. I’m going to be careful for brussels. I’ll be grateful when you continue this in future. Lots of other folks will likely be benefited out of your writing. Cheers!

Pharme281 March 18, 2011, 5:21 PM

Hello! kdddcbk interesting kdddcbk site!

Georgiana Kaemmerer March 19, 2011, 9:17 AM

Hey mate, thanks for posting but this page isn’t vewable in Internet Explorer it is showing only half the page.

Ezequiel Sita March 19, 2011, 12:56 PM

Good day! Do you know if they make any plugins to protect against hackers? I’m kinda paranoid about losing everything I’ve worked hard on. Any recommendations?

Toronto Escort March 19, 2011, 9:53 PM

Hey man , thanks for sharing but this article is hard to read in Safari it is is overlapping.

Beatris Stolinski March 20, 2011, 1:21 AM

You have noted terribly attention-grabbing points ! ps decent web web site here.