I Wish I Could Be Like Katherine Heigl

Good for her ... bad for us?

Katherine Heigle

momlogic's Julie: Katherine Heigl is leaving "Grey's Anatomy." Heigl says the reason she's leaving is to spend more time with her newly adopted daughter, Naleigh. "I started a family and it changed everything for me," Heigl tells E!. "It changed my desire to work full-time."

I am happy for Katherine Heigl ... but do you ever get sick of celebrities being applauded for leaving their jobs so they can focus on their kids, when so many of the rest of us don't have that luxury?

Most of us are working our tails off to put food on the table. We're taking shorter and shorter maternity leaves just to get back to work for our paychecks and benefits.

Believe me ... I take nothing away from Katherine Heigl. I only wish I had as much money as she does, to be able to be with my kids full time.

next: High Schooler Knits Blankets for Unwed Moms
Natalie March 24, 2010, 2:11 PM

Well I don’t think she is after applause. People are asking why she was leaving and I think she gave a good reason. Many celebrities just pass their kids off to the nanny and aren’t involved in their lives. So in that sense I applaud her decision. She is not giving up work either - but will focus on films which have allow her to take long breaks to spend time with her family.

Wendi March 24, 2010, 2:33 PM

She will be missed, but good for her!

Anonymous March 24, 2010, 9:18 PM

There are so many opportunities today
to work from home and simply do with less so you can be at home more with
your families. Excuses are what keep
most from just doing it.
Great for her and anyone who decides
to live their life - and find the way
to do it happily!

Anonymous March 25, 2010, 4:46 AM

Yet annoying thing to find annoying about the ever self-loving, self-congratulating Katherine Heigl. This woman is SO annoying. Yes, of course she can quit her day job - she’s VERY wealthy with a VERY wealthy husband. For the majority of us though, staying home is a fairytale only for those with money or no mortgage/student loans/etc.

Anonymous March 25, 2010, 9:12 AM

Is the man in the picture her hubby?

michelle March 25, 2010, 9:46 AM

She hasn’t been happy on that show for a long time. I remember her saying this on the record a couple years ago. The sad thing is that she has to use her child to give her decision more legitimacy. She knows that if she just gives the truth as her reason — that she wasn’t happy — it reinforces her reputation as difficult and could damage her movie career.

just saying March 25, 2010, 9:52 AM

But what kills me are the tons of celebrities that say: I wish I could spend more time w/ my kids, I wish I could afford to stay at home—- what celebrity couldn’t?!?!? I mean, yes, they would have to change their lifestyles, but if they really wanted to, those w/ 35 million in the banks COULD do it…we are very blessed to be able to be a one income family, but we sold our house, lived in an apt for a short time, moved closer to my husband’s job and made sacrifices where we could.

tennmom March 25, 2010, 1:50 PM

I’m not wealthy. I worked my butt off for the first 8 years of my marriage. We saved as much money as we could so I would be able to stay home with our children.
We also had very good life insurance, so I was able to stay home after my husband died.
My “now” husband and I could afford a much larger house, new vehicles every year, but staying home with my kids until our older daughter can drive (4 more years) is more important to us than upsizing.
We make our own choices in life.

Anonymous March 26, 2010, 4:58 AM

I work my butt off and so does my husband, live modestly, never take vacations, and STILL I cannot afford to stay home - so why should someone as utterly talentless and annoying as Katherine Heigl who has tons of money for playing pretend deserve props for staying home? Ug whatever to her and good riddance to Izzy on the show.