13-Year-Old 'Kick-Ass' Star Drops the C-Word

It's not that I don't use bad language -- I do. And it's not that I've never said the C-word before, because I have. So why did this movie trailer shock me?

Hit Girl

momlogic's Momstrosity: There's a new superhero in town. She wields a Magnum, engages in ultra-violence and swears like a foulmouthed sailor. Oh, and she's only 12 years old. Based on Mark Millar's comic-book series, the upcoming flick "Kick Ass" -- featuring a tween badass named "Hit Girl" -- is already poised to be hit.

Just the trailer alone is jaw-dropping. Chloe Moretz, the 13-year-old actress who plays Hit Girl, tosses out the F- and C-words like an old pro. When confronting her enemies in the R-rated trailer, Hit Girl (a.k.a. Mindy Macready) taunts them with, "OK, you c***s, let's see what you can do now." Whoa!

Unlike toddler Pearl in Will Ferrell's "The Landlord" -- or my daughter, Lily, lamenting a shattered relationship -- Moretz is old enough to know exactly what she is saying. Then again, it's just words -- right?

See for yourself and tell us what you think.

"Kick-Ass" will be in theaters April 16th.

next: Nanny Saves Boy in Fire
Julie March 26, 2010, 1:09 PM

I can’t even bring myself to watch! There’s just something not right about a child dropping the F- (or C-) bomb.

Nicole Brady March 26, 2010, 3:03 PM

As a teenager, my brothers lovingly addressed me like foulmouthed sailors. They did it jokingly and said “It is only a word. If you don’t let it bother you then people can’t use it to hurt you.” At the time, I shrugged it off… brothers are jerks sometimes. But as I entered the workforce and worked in areas dominated by men, I realized that words are just words and they can only harm you if you let them. Mean people would call me names to get my goat but were sorely disappointed when I didn’t run away crying.

They ARE only words… albeit coming from a 13 year old it seems kind of odd. Guess I’m just getting old.

Black Iris March 26, 2010, 5:50 PM

This is one movie my family won’t be seeing.
I think the reason it seems odd is who is the audience? Obviously kids aren’t going to be allowed to watch it. So who is enjoying watching a pre-teen girl use obscene language?

Jonathen March 26, 2010, 7:32 PM

I’m gonna enjoy this! Ha seeing a 12 year old shoot a damn zombie in the head in Zombieland I guess wasn’t important enough to post here BUT OMG She said WHAT WORD?!!!! The movie is for people like me and kids WILL see it…WHY? Cause they always do and there’s no stopping it cause it’s in their nature.

Anonymous March 27, 2010, 12:20 AM

In another Momlogic article they were discussing safe teen sex at 12 so this doesn’t shock me?

David March 28, 2010, 8:48 AM

Ohhh the “C” word or the “F” word. Wow it is an R rated movie. we as big people get to go see stuff like that. it was part of the comic so why not make it part of the movie? You know what it makes that character what she is.
I will see it and I hope to enjoy it. people need to grow up and stop being so protective of their children. Let the little bastards grow up.. I mean they have to get hurt and hear things or they will be so protected that when they are out of mommies control they WILL get hurt and offended. Over protecting our children is a big part of what it wrong with the world today.

Oh by the way I knew what those words were when I was about 6 or 7 and just did not use them unless provoked.

Anonymous March 28, 2010, 9:59 PM

If we are going to complain about cursing what about sex and violence on TV as well? Kids have to see this all the time unless there is parental control. It’s just the whole society to blame. The media is sending messages to kids to grow up fast. I also think if we curb the cursing as parents our kids will less likely use those type of words. If a movie is bad, just don’t take the child to see it. At least it’s R rated so it gives you a hint.

JusticeJ March 29, 2010, 6:24 PM

Haha momlogic comments crack me up.

FI March 29, 2010, 6:35 PM

Well done, momlogic. You just gave free advertising to a film you don’t like. I hadn’t even heard of this until now but I’ll definitely be going to see it - looks like an entertaining couple of hours. If you want to be even more outraged, you should watch this clip - Hit Girl’s dad shoots her in the chest:

millipaige April 4, 2010, 5:54 AM

First of all, this movie looks really stupid, regardless of the cussing situation. And while yes, it is kind of “shocking”, it is far from the end of the world. I’m only twenty and am horrified how fast and far the boundaries of what is “okay and normal” have dropped since I was that age. I remember in middle school purposely dropping a few words around my friends just to be “cool”, but they were def not part of my vocabulary. Obviously this girl is reading from a script but I bet she already talked like that to some degree before. Someone that young who knows words are “bad” and is uncomfortable with that does not just get okay with “acting” and saying them overnight. Just my thoughts.

oregontrails April 20, 2010, 1:52 PM

It’s called a “movie”. It say’s rated R.
any more questions?

PS It’s a great piece of work!