Love Your Body!

Victoria's Secret has launched their latest campaign: "Love Your Body." Ha! So funny. Of course you'd love your body if you looked like one of their models. But most of us don't.

victorias secret models

Momlogic's Talitha: It's frustrating, but every time I see a Victoria's Secret commercial, I just cringe. The models are just beyond perfect with their tanned, ripped abs, perfectly round boobs, long limbs and flowing hair. It's enough to make a "normal" mom feel pretty bad about herself. At least, I do.

V.S.'s new "Love Your Body" campaign is promoting three new lines of bras and panties. But instead of choosing "real" figures, they've yet again picked several young girls to star in the campaign. (Only one is a mom: Allesandra Ambrosio, who has a 1-year-old daughter.) What's interesting is that it's not that I wouldn't necessarily buy the line, but that their slogan makes me feel the complete opposite of what it says. It also gives me anxiety: I worry that my daughter will have to look at images like these when she grows up, and, like many girls, will feel "less than."

I realize that they're selling lingerie, but if they really want to attract female buyers, V. S. should consider featuring some women we can all relate to. At the very least, their campaign could feature models "as is," without all the padding they admit that they use -- and without the fake tans and hair extensions. The campaign could say, "Look, these models aren't perfect, either. There's no such thing."

I'm no overweight, out-of-shape mama. I've lost all of my forty pounds of baby weight, I work out daily and I am healthy. And yet ... yuck. The "Love Your Body" campaign makes me feel bad for myself -- and for my daughter.

next: Bill Keeping Moms From Prison Passes
Anonymous March 3, 2010, 4:34 AM

Is it me, or do they resemble flamingos? Look at their legs!

Anonymous March 3, 2010, 6:41 AM

I don’t know -these women don’t make me feel bad about myself. I like my body - I’m healthy and I work out every day. Their job is to look and they do.

BlackIris March 3, 2010, 8:37 AM

I agree. Some of those women are stick figures. And there’s not much variety there. Change the skin color, but keep everyone with the same kind of hair and body shape.
Oddly, Victoria’s Secret does carry lingerie for truly plus size women.

Anonymous March 3, 2010, 9:37 AM

Lets see some beef wagons out there.

abbi March 3, 2010, 9:50 AM

I agree with anonymous.
They’re MODELS, newsflash, no one hires ugly models (for the same reason they don’t hire ugly mommies) to front their campaign.
If you’re unhappy because you’re a frumpy mummy, well it’s not the models fault… you chose your path, deal with it.
Oh, and I work out everyday also, and I see these bodies as a complete inspiration.
I’m not nearly as naturally lean as them, but I’m 6 ft and weigh 150. The more I work out, the more i notice my stomach and muscle tone resembling the same of the models. The only reason you couldn’t look like this is if you were really short, but you could still have a banging body.
And honestly, these girls DO LOVE their bodies, look how much amazing great care they take of them. I think it’s pretty obvious that these girls take the campaign seriously.
Lingerie is supposed to make you feel good and sexy and naughty, not make you feel better about your post-baby body.
Lingerie and these ads are about fantasy and sex, not some sort of scapegoat you can blame your own insecurities and wobbly bits on.
Get a grip.

tanenvyinfo March 11, 2010, 7:42 PM

One of the best ways to look great in lingerie (regardless of your size) is to have a beautiful, even tan. Of course, no one wants to risk their health for that perfect bronzy look. Check out Tan Envy at www.tanenvy.com and discover a safe and healthy solution.

david April 14, 2010, 9:45 AM

I completely agree with Talitha. I’m a makeup artist in Los Angeles and I have seen up close how unfair the standard is. Most of these girls are in their late teens and live on cigarettes, not to mention the fact that they’re photoshopped to within an inch of their lives. If VS really wanted the buyer to love themselves, they could have chosen a variety of body types to represent a wide demographic. I do believe that someone in the marketing department had the right intention, but in the end they chose to go with the “perfect” girls.

Danielle April 17, 2010, 9:47 AM

They look beautiful. It’s hard to look good when you are a tall girl. I’m not tall thank goodness but you have to look at it in a different view.

Danielle April 17, 2010, 9:50 AM

NOT to mention REALISTICALLY everyone is addicted to beautiful things. Don’t buy the lingerie if you don’t want to feel pretty. No one is saying buy it or else! Maybe we can’t wear every style of lingerie but no matter what healthy is sexy. That includes you eating well to maintain that luminous skin and a fresh face and yes go out and play, flowing locks and sun kissed skin :) not devoured, kissed!

Abram Lyday July 25, 2010, 10:17 PM

@Steve can you elaborate on your point a bit auto

mitral valve January 19, 2011, 5:25 AM

Really gripping article. Proportion has been written in very city behaviour. I bask measurement this humane of squeeze. Thanks for intercourse angelic knowledge.
college stories

john March 15, 2011, 11:42 AM

If I wanted to see flabby, doughy housewives in lingerie I wouldn’t go to Victoria’s Secrets. They employ fit, tight bodied sexy women to sell their clothes—makes sense! These women love their bodies (as the ad campaign says!) and there are MANY women in the regular world who do too…they take care of themselves, work out, eat well, and don’t make excuses about their bodies. The only thing unrealistic is expecting sympathy because you’re too lazy to take care of your own body. Ladies, give your husbands something that turns them on—work out and stay fit and lean. NO MAN likes fat women, no matter what they say to be politically correct.

Pharmd697 March 23, 2011, 2:51 PM

Hello! faadacc interesting faadacc site!